What would you do?

Would you keep the money?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

rack'm

Jaded
Depending on how the money was packaged would depend on what I'd do.

If it was in a bank bag, I'd take it to the bank.

If it was in a back pack, I'd figure it was drug money and keep it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'd turn it in to the police. Even if they kept it and partied hearty, at least it wouldn't be on my conscience. I have this mental grandfather who sits on my shoulder going, "Saaaaam..." Who could live with that guilt? :yikes:

Steve

Enjoying life!
I've actually thought about it...and I'd keep it. There aren't too many good reasons for that kind of money to be floating around in cash. So it's probably dirty like Rack'm said.

sockgirl77

Steve said:
I've actually thought about it...and I'd keep it. There aren't too many good reasons for that kind of money to be floating around in cash. So it's probably dirty like Rack'm said.
:yeahthat: and whoever is stupid enough to carry that much cash around with them and effing lose it, is stupid enough to hand it to me!

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
sockgirl77 said:
:yeahthat: and whoever is stupid enough to carry that much cash around with them and effing lose it, is stupid enough to hand it to me!

I agree. I would be keeping me some cold hard cash. :angel:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Anyone who would keep it...

...is no different than a thief.

If that's not good enough, anyone who would keep it is STUPID.

In this day and age, if a security camera didn't catch it being lost and/or your dumb ass picking it up then simply having that kind of money is gonna catch up with you sooner or later.

'This is a case of a 23-year-old man who found a lifetime fortune and didn`t know what to do with it and was tempted and behaved quite erratically,' he said. 'This money began to dominate his life. He was in somewhat of a state of panic.'

That's even more moronic. While I'd love to have $200,000 in cash, that's no lifetime fortune unless you plan on scooping fries your whole life. In the mean time, being the bum who tried to keep something that didn't belong to you, you're kinda ensuring that fries are your future.

So, at the end of the day, if only for practical reasons, you give back something you weren't gonna be able to keep in the first place and maybe you get a reward AND keep your self respect.

We were picking one of the kids up and a friend the other night and as the friend approached the car, she spotted a wallet on the ground. She INSTANTLY turned around to take it back into class to see if she could find the owner. It wasn't hers and she had ZERO problem figuring that one out.

I love it when right rears its pretty head.

Anyone ever keep something like this that wasn't yours? A wallet?

I found one once, a fat wallet, I was a young punk teen and thought about keeping it for a few minutes. I turned it in but to this day I still feel like a piece of #### when I think I was even thinking about keeping it.

At the end of the day, it's all about you:

If you do the right thing even when no one is watching, you have something no one can take from you; good character.

If you're character is conditional then you are stuck living with what you do when no one is watching far longer than any amount of money will be around. Of course, if you have poor character, you'll figure a way to justify yourself just fine.

Lastly, if you're just a crook no matter what, at least you're consistent and not trying to pretend you're something you're not, either to yourself or to anyone else.

mrweb

Iron City
cattitude said:
No way I could keep it.
If you turned it into the police and nobody claimed it and nobody reported it missing, would the police eventually have to give it back to you? :confused:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
mrweb said:
If you turned it into the police and nobody claimed it and nobody reported it missing, would the police eventually have to give it back to you? :confused:

I have no clue. I just couldn't live with myself if I kept it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yep...

So it's probably dirty like Rack'm said.

MUCH better to have some nice, friendly old drug dealer hunting you down after killing one of his guys who screwed up rather than some mean old senile grandma.

Come on, Steve. How likely is it that $200,000 is NOT going to be looked for.

And found.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
mainman said:
:newvette:

Don't be silly, give it to otter....:yay:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a pile of money fall at my feet. I suffer from dotherightthingitis which is an extreme fear of horrible punishment befalling me for lying, stealing, etc.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Ten years ago, just after we had moved into our house, we found one of those insulated lunch bags that has several compartments. We grabbed and walked back up to the deck and looked inside. There was a bundle of cash, several hundred dollars, and a check for about a thousand. We sat there for some time trying to figure out where it may have come from, who it might belong to, as we enjoyed the nice afternoon on the deck of our new home, in our new neighborhood.

A while later, we saw a man walking along the edge of the road, first in one direction, then the other. We called out to him and held up the bag. He quickly walked over and around to the back of the house. I think he took the steps 3 or 4 at a time. He was obviously a laborer, someone who works much harder for his money than I do. I can't tell you how happy he was that he recovered that lunch bag. The money and the check inside were to pay his rent and child support.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
I'd turn it in to the police. Even if they kept it and partied hearty, at least it wouldn't be on my conscience. I have this mental grandfather who sits on my shoulder going, "Saaaaam..." Who could live with that guilt? :yikes:
:yeahthat: I could never in good conscience keep something that doesn't belong to me. The guilt would tear me apart. Like Larry said, anybody who keeps it is no different than a thief.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
cattitude said:
an extreme fear of horrible punishment befalling me for lying, stealing, etc.
Karma - I'm superstitious about it too. I just know if I do something dishonest, bad things will happen to me as payback.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
I may be a "STUPID THEIF", but Im a rich stupid theif. On my own behalf, I have returned lost wallets with cash intact. Finding a brown paper bag in the gutter, Im a keeping.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a pile of money fall at my feet. I suffer from dotherightthingitis which is an extreme fear of horrible punishment befalling me for lying, stealing, etc.
That's the way I feel, too. I think it is more than coincidence that everybody who has done something bad to me has in turn had something worse happen to them without me wishing for it to happen. One of my mottos is "Let go and let God." Works for me. :yay: