Joined the Club

ylexot

Super Genius
I just got my motorcycle on Monday! It's a blue 2002 Yamaha YZF600R. I only have my learners and I haven't ridden it yet, but I plan to on Friday after I get the tags (weather permitting).

I've been trying to get into one of the safety classes, but being that it's the end of the season, they are all booked and I'm on the waiting list for the Spring (March maybe).

Forum ride in the Spring?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Come on by!!

You've ridden before??

You're down around these parts right?? Good area to practice in..

Ninja_gal

ylexot said:
I just got my motorcycle on Monday! It's a blue 2002 Yamaha YZF600R. I only have my learners and I haven't ridden it yet, but I plan to on Friday after I get the tags (weather permitting).

I've been trying to get into one of the safety classes, but being that it's the end of the season, they are all booked and I'm on the waiting list for the Spring (March maybe).

Congrats!

ylexot

Super Genius
Nope, haven't ridden before :biggrin: I'll be taking it very easy for a while.

Yeah, I'm down near you. Even though I have my learners, I still had the previous owner ride it to the house since I didn't want my first ride to be in the middle of Lex Park. I'd rather start out down here where there are few cars, lights, stops, etc. Like you said, good area to practice in.

It sucks that I'll probably just be getting used to riding about the same time that it's too cold to ride.

Fishn Guy

That's Dr. Fishn to you..
ylexot said:

Good job on selecting a good learners bike :yay:
Just remember you can just as easily fukc yourself up at 50 as you can 120!

Beckie

Chica
ylexot said:

SWEET!! :howdy:

ylexot

Super Genius
K_Jo said:
Got pics? :popcorn:
Not yet. Been busy...class yesterday, camera club tonight. Maybe this weekend.
Good job on selecting a good learners bike
Just remember you can just as easily fukc yourself up at 50 as you can 120!
Thank you, but it was a bit of luck...I just happened to find it on the SOMD classifieds and it turned out to be my coworker! It was a good price, so I researched it some more. The more I read, the more I liked. The other I looked at was a Buell Blast...the more I read, the less I liked.

I've also heard that there are two kinds of motorcycle riders...those that have wrecked, and those that are going to wreck. Hopefully, I'll be one of the latter for a long time.

Anyway, gotta run.

dustin

UAIOE
Great choice of bikes Ylexot! You will not be disappointed with its performance. And the model you chose is known for being on eof the more comfortable sportbikes out there.

How goes it on insurance? GEICO was the best for me in MD, with USAA in a close second.

If you ever need to borrow a stand I have both a universal front and rear stand for sportbikes that I'm holding on to for dear life.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
:getdown: The SCRC will be at Bert's Friday evening, come on by. I've been trying to get more bikes of a sporting nature in the club. I have a tendency to leave the other cruiser riders behind :lol:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
ylexot said:
Nope, haven't ridden before :biggrin: I'll be taking it very easy for a while.

Yeah, I'm down near you. Even though I have my learners, I still had the previous owner ride it to the house since I didn't want my first ride to be in the middle of Lex Park. I'd rather start out down here where there are few cars, lights, stops, etc. Like you said, good area to practice in.

It sucks that I'll probably just be getting used to riding about the same time that it's too cold to ride.
This is my first winter on a bike down here, but can't imagine it getting too cold to ride for much more then a couple of weeks over the winter..

Even if you can't get into the course on base, take one of the riding courses ASAP.. Harley Dealers offer classes, CSM offers them.. and they provide the leraner bikes to tear up.. It's a LOT easier to learn some important things on a course, this is one sport you REALLY don't want to learn from your mistakes..

Anything you think you may need post again, see what kind of feed back you can get.. LOT of nice riding gear out there.. Crap load of good helmets. etc..

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
itsbob said:
This is my first winter on a bike down here, but can't imagine it getting too cold to ride for much more then a couple of weeks over the winter..
:lol: One morning, as I was riding down to NESEA (Webster Field) with frost forming on the inside of my faceshield, I said to myself "Self, what the hell are you trying to prove and who are you trying to impress?" The next morning, I was warm and comfortable listening to tunes and driving the car.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Gotta watch riding double on a sport bike. Ever since I heard some guy comment that it looks like two frogs fcuking, I start laughing everytime I see a couple on one. :lol:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
pixiegirl said:
The YZF600R. In blue at that! It's the bike that "fits" me.
target has a bike that will "fit" you..

You should sit on mine with the seat all the way down.. though it still might be a little tall....

ylexot

Super Genius
itsbob said:

Even if you can't get into the course on base, take one of the riding courses ASAP.. Harley Dealers offer classes, CSM offers them.. and they provide the leraner bikes to tear up.. It's a LOT easier to learn some important things on a course, this is one sport you REALLY don't want to learn from your mistakes..

Anything you think you may need post again, see what kind of feed back you can get.. LOT of nice riding gear out there.. Crap load of good helmets. etc..
Actually, the base safety course might be April at the earliest. The Harley/CSM/etc courses are also booked solid with waiting lists a mile long. Sounds like it could be an opportunity for a good business! Get accredited by MVA and set up shop...at a couple hundred bucks a person...$$$$$$$$$

Sadly, I'm nowhere near qualified to do something like that :biggrin:

Anybody get any good tips from the MSF classes that you can pass on to me? I really want to take the class ASAP, but it's just not possible. :mad:

Gear-wise I got:
Black Icon TiMAX Jacket (non-mesh...better for colder weather so I can ride later in the season)
Black Icon Long TiMAX Gloves (also better for colder weather)
Icon Mainframe "Manic" Helmet
Alpinestars Stunt Shoes (not for stunting...simply because they look like normal shoes)

Any recommendations for pants to wear over jeans?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I also got a yellow Icon Mil-Spec Vest...safe, but :cool:

Last edited: