Pharmacists refusing to fill scripts ...

Should they or shouldn't they ...

• Yes, they should be able to deny BC scripts ...

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • No, they shouldn't deny ANY scripts ...

Votes: 30 88.2%
  • I don't know; just feel like voting for the heck of it.

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
because of their beliefs ... specifically, birth control. They're discussing this on GMA this morning. I'd never heard of this happening, but I don't think they should refuse your prescription for anything; if their beliefs preclude them from following a doctor's order for a prescription, then they should find a new line of work that doesn't interfere with their beliefs. :shrug:

What say you?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Does this mean that they will no longer sell condoms also? Just do your job and give out the scripts you jackhole.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I bet this is the same guy that stands out of the side of the road with a sign that reads "STOP ABORTION".

crabcake

kom526 said:
Does this mean that they will no longer sell condoms also? Just do your job and give out the scripts you jackhole.
You bring up an interesting point. Devout catholics typically don't condone birth control. Hypothetical scenario: Catholic guy and catholic girl marry. She contracts HIV/Aids via some sort of medical screw-up. If he wears condoms to protect himself from contracting the disease during intercourse, that's breaking the religious law. If he doesn't, he'd be essentially commiting suicide, also frowned upon by the church.

:shrug:

My guess is that someone will argue, "Well, it's okay, cuz it's for medical purposes." But the same can be said for taking BC pills. They're not always for the purpose of preventing pregnancy; there are other reasons women take them or other forms of BC.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
elaine said:
I bet this is the same guy that stands out of the side of the road with a sign that reads "STOP ABORTION".
Did you see all the folks along-side Rt. 235 on Sunday? Not only were there adults, but I see children (toddlers) holding pro-choice signs, also. I wanted to run them all over.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Chasey_Lane said:
Did you see all the folks along-side Rt. 235 on Sunday? Not only were there adults, but I see children (toddlers) holding pro-choice signs, also. I wanted to run them all over.

Yes, I did. Did you miss the thread about it?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Since capitalism rules our society, pharmacy's that refuse BC scripts will also suffer a loss of revenue. Who doesn't wander around and pick up a few other items while waiting for you prescription to be filled? I think the store owners will either have to chose between the beliefs or their wallets. A major chain like CVS will no doubt go with the wallet.

crabcake

aps45819 said:
Since capitalism rules our society, pharmacy's that refuse BC scripts will also suffer a loss of revenue. Who doesn't wander around and pick up a few other items while waiting for you prescription to be filled? I think the store owners will either have to chose between the beliefs or their wallets. A major chain like CVS will no doubt go with the wallet.
The GMA spot this morning (not surprisingly) said that the pharmacists in question (with regards to cases they investigated) couldn't be reached for comment :shocker: and that the chain stores in which the pharmacies were operated said "no comment". :ohwell:

My guess is that the pharmacists are doing this "on the spot" and unbeknownst to the management/store, and they only find out after the fact when a complaint or lawsuit is filed. And I imagine it's a touchy subject firing the individual b/c surely you can say it's b/c they failed to do their job, but they'll scream that it was b/c of their religion, and that could be considered wrongful termination. :ohwell:

crabcake

Chasey_Lane said:
:howdy: I don't, unless I'm having my script filled at BBW, in which case I stock up on sweet smelling lotions, room deodorizers, hand soaps and lip glosses! :dance:
:yay: fixed

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Chasey_Lane said:
Thanks! Too bad it's at a gazillion pages, though. Otherwise, I would have probably read some of it. :lol:

One of our lovely forumites was standing in that line. :really: :lmao:

Fred Hoeck

People have freedom of consious. There is no reason to force someone to fill a prescription for birth control or abortafactants. This is a long standing discussion in this country. If a phamacist can not in good concious fill that prescription, another one can. It is the same with others in the medical field, no one is forced to perform or assist at abortions.

crabcake

Fred Hoeck said:
People have freedom of consious. There is no reason to force someone to fill a prescription for birth control or abortafactants. This is a long standing discussion in this country. If a phamacist can not in good concious fill that prescription, another one can. It is the same with others in the medical field, no one is forced to perform or assist at abortions.
If the pharmacist feels that strongly and wants to have a "say" in women's health, they should've opted for a career in obstetrics, gynecology, or better yet, priesthood. :bubble:

Instead, they chose to be pill counters. :shrug: So they should count the pills, put 'em in the pretty little orange bottle, and STHU about my medical needs.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Fred Hoeck said:
:rolleyes: If they cannot do their job(s), they should find another position that does engage in their religious beliefs. That's like saying the McDonalds cashier isn't going to serve the fat lady 'cause the clerk is a health nut and against obesity. :lol: