Tires?

Vince

Anyone know where I can get some new rubber put on my bike? I'll pull the wheel off, all they have to do is put new tires on the rims.

Vince

Penn said:
Isn't there a bike shop in San Souci Plaza, near the Post Office?
Yeah, forgot about them. S&M. I'll give them a call. May save me a drive to Charlotte Hall.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Vince said:
Yeah, forgot about them. S&M. I'll give them a call. May save me a drive to Charlotte Hall.
DIY save $$$$.. The actual equipment (could be as little as a couple of "spoons") isn't that expensive, and the first time you change your own tire you more then made up for the cost of the equipment.

Have to find the link for the stuff, even balancing is a lot easier then I thought... at least according to the site, haven't done it myself yet, but next tire change I will. Difference between $220 a tire, and about 120 a tire..

Vince

itsbob said:
DIY save $$$$.. The actual equipment (could be as little as a couple of "spoons") isn't that expensive, and the first time you change your own tire you more then made up for the cost of the equipment.

Have to find the link for the stuff, even balancing is a lot easier then I thought... at least according to the site, haven't done it myself yet, but next tire change I will. Difference between $220 a tire, and about 120 a tire..
Changed and balanced auto and truck tires for alot of years. Never did a cycle tire. If I'm pulling it anyway, I might as well do it myself. Need link, if you find it.

dustin

UAIOE
Vince said:
Changed and balanced auto and truck tires for alot of years. Never did a cycle tire. If I'm pulling it anyway, I might as well do it myself. Need link, if you find it.
It's easy to scar a bike rim with spoons. And if you have tubes it's easy to puncture the tube if you are not careful.

If I were you I would just take the wheel up to SM City and have them do it for you. Call ahead of time and they might be able to do it on the spot. This time of year they are doing lots of maintenance and building bikes. I've had them do work for me in the past and they never screwed up anything and the prices are reasonable.

But if you want to go the spoon route I have two of them you can borrow.

BTW you might save some money buying the tire online yourself.

Vince

dustin said:
It's easy to scar a bike rim with spoons. And if you have tubes it's easy to puncture the tube if you are not careful.

If I were you I would just take the wheel up to SM City and have them do it for you. Call ahead of time and they might be able to do it on the spot. This time of year they are doing lots of maintenance and building bikes. I've had them do work for me in the past and they never screwed up anything and the prices are reasonable.

But if you want to go the spoon route I have two of them you can borrow.

BTW you might save some money buying the tire online yourself.
Thanks Dustin. I'm not in a big hurry because winter is coming and it's almost too cold to ride without 2 tons of stuff on. May just order online and pull one at a time and have SM do it. Any site recommendations on tires?

dustin

UAIOE
Vince said:
Thanks Dustin. I'm not in a big hurry because winter is coming and it's almost too cold to ride without 2 tons of stuff on. May just order online and pull one at a time and have SM do it. Any site recommendations on tires?
Dennis Kirk.

http://www.denniskirk.com

You can get a free catalog too.

Lockhart Phillips is another one but I think there are sportbikes only. www.lockhartphillipsusa.com

www.parts411.com is another one but i've never used them

just a few that i recall...SM City has catalogs at the front desk you can look at. It's the same catalogs you will find elsewhere. But they order at the same price you would online IIRC unless they got a deal now with a tire manufacturer. I think they preferred Dunslops on their bikes...so maybe with them...