I do this WHY???

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
We had an eventful weekend....and I figured I'd share, and put some of my thoughts into words...

Rottncop and i have been going camping, with the horses for several years now, we picket them, and ride, ride, ride.

This weekend, I got the scare of my life, and it has me really giving some thought to WHY I'm doing this at ALL. The day started out wonderfully, me on my young POA, and Rottncop on his gelding, with my 8 year old, my 16 year old and his girfriend all on experienced trail horses. We came to the river crossing like we've done hundreds of times before, and my son's mare (a 15 year old lesson mare) decided NOPE this water's not for me today....my son did a great job coaxing her into the water, and across we went. The other bank had 2 separate paths up the steep rocky embankment, and like all trails for horses tend to do, they are about 3' deep gullies. We went up one, and stopped almost at the top, because my son's mare did (we were behind her). For whatever reason, my filly decided she wanted to be on the OTHER trail and proceeded to try to hop out of the trail we were in and into the other. Well she's rather short and round, with stumpy legs, and the legs just wouldn't hike up over the wall of the trail we were IN, and she ended up on her knees while her hind end was still pushing her over. Bottom line, we both went sailing over the embankment, i went over her head, and ended up UNDER her body entirely, with both of us sliding down the steep gully towards the river. She kicked me in the head (I wear a good helmet) thrashing around trying to right her self, before hubby could jump into the gully and onto her to hold her still, so my son could jump down and drag me out from under her before we both went down to the river's edge and under water, or she trampled me to death trying to get herself upright. I'm bruised from head to toe, but otherwise fine.

I can't think about this misadventure without tearing up with the "what could have's" and how awful it would have been for my family to have watched me trampled to death under my own horse....it's going to be a while before I don't get all emotional about it, I think. Thank GOODNESS for good quality helmets and quick thinking hubby's and sons.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
I'm so glad to hear your mishap left you with bruises and bumps and not broken bones! I usually don't ride wearing a helmet but I have started in the past year - especially if it is a younger horse (under 20!). The only thing you could have done in hindsight -what we wouldn't give for that gift! - is wait in the water until each horse negotiates the uphill out of the river. I've seen horses that stop kick other horses who crowd them even if they are best buddies. I know that you'll probably feel alittle uneasy for the next couple of rides until you can trust your horse again - it really was a bad combination of events and not something you did stupidly on your part. :huggy:
We ride and fall and get back on and fall again and get back on etc, because we have this passion for horses and trail riding - especially in the fall - just remember how lovely the weather was on Sunday and what a good ride you all would have had if not for this accident. Hope you feel better fast :flowers:

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
happyappygirl said:
Thank GOODNESS for good quality helmets and quick thinking hubby's and sons.

:yay: I have never, ever, EVER ridden without a helmet. I'm so glad it turned out okay for both you and your horse. :huggy:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
sunday's ride was uneventful, thank GOODNESS. I was pretty shaky Saturday and damn mad Rottncop sliced my billet to get the saddle off the mare - he didn't know if my foot was stuck in the stirrup or not and all he wanted was everything OFF me (horse, tack everything). He wanted to know why i didn't bail off her, but i (for whatever reason) stay with my horses to the bitter end..:loser: he said it felt like he had enough time to write a novel from the time she started going over until she was actually on top of me and i never saw it coming, it seemed to happen so fast :lol:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Some of us motorcyle types have a term.. ATGATT.. All The Gear All The Time..

Good thing you're smart enough to protect the noggin!!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
happyappygirl said:
This weekend, I got the scare of my life, and it has me really giving some thought to WHY I'm doing this at ALL.
Life's an adventure to be experienced and savored. The reason you do it is to build a library of memories to remember when you're to old to do it any more. You do it to build bonds of trust and experience with your family. How memorable would sitting home watching TV be? Living large involves risk.

K

Kain99

The last time I said this I hurt someone who means a great deal to me but.... Horses are mean nasty #####es by nature! I hate them worse than everything.

People who ride horses are insane lunatics.

I HATE every horse on the planet.

Love, Kain 99

Sorry if I have offended but Holy Crap! Any person with a brain that has ever been near them knows what they are all about... 4 legged monsters.

Total Hate.

Love Again,

Kain 99

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
aps45819 said:
Life's an adventure to be experienced and savored. The reason you do it is to build a library of memories to remember when you're to old to do it any more. You do it to build bonds of trust and experience with your family. How memorable would sitting home watching TV be? Living large involves risk.
U motorcycle guys certainly have a neat way of looing at stuff (you and itsbob) :lol:
I can understand why. ~Thanks for reminding me. :biggrin: ~

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
appyday said:
Jazz.................:frown: to you
You're the sanest horse person I know. :huggy:

babies are great today...got Wees tree cut down in their paddock..they ran and ran this am...kicking up their heels..really doing good...Have them on milk still every few hours and I saw the BW and Teki eatting the hay yesterday and today...now if the little peanut will eat it...that will really get them going and make my job easier..not that they are that hard..
:clap: See, I told you they would do just fine once they got adjusted to their new home. :yay:

HorseLady said:
We ride and fall and get back on and fall again and get back on etc, because we have this passion for horses and trail riding - especially in the fall -
:yay: It is a sickness that horse people can not control, the excitement of riding something that you can not always know the outcome of, today might be the day that you can lazily enjoy the whole ride, or it might be the time that you get the ride of your life, but it is like golf, you can have the worst swing a majority of the time, then hit the perfect straightest shot that you have ever hit, and that is what keeps you playing. :lol:

appyday said:
Kain...do you really think the horse wants to commit suicide with you on it??NO his goal is to save his ass too...
:roflmao:

nomoney

Kain99 said:
The last time I said this I hurt someone who means a great deal to me but.... Horses are mean nasty #####es by nature! I hate them worse than everything.

People who ride horses are insane lunatics.

I HATE every horse on the planet.

Love, Kain 99

Sorry if I have offended but Holy Crap! Any person with a brain that has ever been near them knows what they are all about... 4 legged monsters.

Total Hate.

Love Again,

Kain 99

Just because you're scared of them doesn't make people that are able to ride them without being big chicken shiats "insane lunatics".

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
nomoney said:
Just because you're scared of them doesn't make people that are able to ride them without being big chicken shiats "insane lunatics".
:yeahthat: :confused:

I miss riding so much! I used to love the peace and tranquility of riding on open range down in Sierra Vista. :frown:

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
happyappygirl said:
U motorcycle guys certainly have a neat way of looing at stuff (you and itsbob) :lol:
I can understand why. ~Thanks for reminding me. :biggrin: ~

I've got one of my older students who is a motorcycle cop laid up and not able to come for his horseback riding lessons for 6 weeks because his damm bike fell over with him on it! Go Figure!