Equestrian Team prospects ?

Pensacola

I am new to the area and I am looking into having an Equestrian team in St. Mary's County. I have judged and will be judging the teams that are showing in Upper Marlboro, and I am impressed with what I see. The nearest team is an hour and fifteen minutes away. That is quite a drive! I think I have found a facility to host the shows and now I am on a mission to find enough horses/large ponies that are capable and trustworthy enough to jump courses safely as high as 2'6. I want to know if there are others that are interested in possibly being part of the team and/or know of any horses that may fit this profile that are for sale or lease. If you are interested please let me know. I am finding out more about the team criteria all the time. I have a lot to do to even make this a possibility. Also I would like to know how you would like team members to be chosen...by try outs or invitation. If you are already knowlegable about the Equestrain teams I invite you to advise me. This would be a great opportunity for our area. Thanks.

Last edited:

fredsaid2

If what you're thinking of is NCEL here's a link to their site
NCEL .
And here's the Adult's site NCAEL .

In case you didn't already have both, Good Luck!

Pensacola

Thanks. I haven't had too much time to search all the rules and regulations yet. I am still seeing if there is enough interest or if I am going to be wasting my time.

fredsaid2

You might first contact them to see if they have openings. A couple years ago Fairweather Farm put together an A team, there were no openings for a B team. I'm sure it changes year to year but I'd start there first. I think all the mounts have to be school horses in an active riding program too. If you get the go ahead I think you could easily fill a B team. The kids don't have to be great riders but some of their draws will run the gamut. At one meet a girl was launched over the pony's head in true bronco style. Turns out the pony had been a mustang, don't know how much time under saddle he'd truly had.

W

WildHorses

I'm a little confused, are you affiliated with a barn or are you trying to establish a team and then become affiliated with a barn? It is my understanding you need a place with horses and then you build a team from there. Are you thinking just a team or a pony club?
There are barns with teams in the tri-county area that you might want to meet with to discuss your ideas to avoid stepping on too many toes since you are new to the area. Just a thought, but good luck! :confused:

Pensacola

No toe stomping here!

I am not trying to step on anyone's toes. In fact, I would like to bring the horse community together. I am from Florida, and they only have the intercollegiate teams down there (at least from our area). I am a judge, a trainer, an instructor, and a very knowledgeable rider. My understanding of the team concept is that you bring together the best riders in your area, no matter who they train with, and make them a team. They will compete against other teams, at other barns, on the host barn's horses. The host barn has to have enough horses to support other teams that come in. Please correct me if I am wrong. It is also my understanding that the host barn must have an indoor. I am new to the area, but I have driven around and talked to a lot of people. I have visited many beautiful facilites and talked with some knowledgeable instructors. It seems like there is an interest. I do have a place in mind, but it will take a lot of hard work and effort to establish a team even at this facility. Nothing is a given and I am so open to hear your opinions and take your advice. I will probably be in the area for the next 9 years because I am also a Navy wife with small children and my husband's job will probably keep us here. If you ride hunt seat and show I am certain you will get to meet me. I have never trained horses or riders for the money. I do it because I love to teach and work with horses. Luckily, I don't have to work at all. I taught school last year and I took a leave of absence to be with my children and teach a small group of students on the side for fun. I am not interested in taken anyone's students or stepping on toes.

Last edited:

fredsaid2

NCEL riders have to be part of the barn's regular riding program. I think they have to be enrolled by Sep through Finale in March. So they take a regular lesson once a week then how many ever team practices the barn wants to set up. That will be your only sticking point. You'll have to have riders willing to take a weekly lesson with your barn as well as be part of your team. Other area barns with teams shouldn't have a problem with someone new. It's competitive but really a lot of fun. You'll find everyone willing to lend a hand at meets. In fact a sportsmanship prize is awarded at every meet.

spellbound

The mother of one of my students was interested in her daughter being involved in a team. I can have her call you if you want.

W

WildHorses

I'm even more confused at your intentions. Do you have a barn? Do you have students? As fredsaid said, team members are not willy nilly, they have to be enrolled in a program at your barn, and your barn is expected to host shows if you are forming the team. I don't think you can just pull together a group of people being trained by different instructors at different facilities and call it a team, unless I'm missing something.
I applaud the fact that you don't have to work, but why is that relevant? There are many of us out here who don't have to work and, I'm assuming, the majority of us work with horses and students because we love it! :howdy:

changeling

Pensacola said:
I am not trying to step on anyone's toes. In fact, I would like to bring the horse community together. I am from Florida, and they only have the incollegate teams down there (at least from our area). I am a judge, a trainer, an instructor, and a very knowledgable rider. My understanding of the team concept is that you bring together the best riders in your area, no matter who they train with, and make them a team. They will compete against other teams, at other barns, on the host barn's horses. The host barn has to have enough horses to support other teams that come in. Please correct me if I am wrong. It is also my understanding that the host barn must have an indoor. I am new to the area, but I have driven around and talked to a lot of people. I have visited many beautiful facilites and talked with some knowledgable instructors. It seems like there is an interest. I do have a place in mind, but it will take a lot of hard work and effort to establish a team even at this facility. Nothing is a given and I am so open to hear your opinions and take your advice. I will probably be in the area for the next 9 years because I am also a Navy wife with small children and my husband's job will probably keep us here. If you ride hunt seat and show I am certain you will get to meet me. I have never tained horses or riders for the money. I do it because I love to teach and work with horses. Luckily, I don't have to work at all. I taught school last year and I took a leave of absence to be with my children and teach a small group of students on the side for fun. I am not interested in taken anyone's students or stepping on toes.

Among your many self proclaimed attributes I noticed that spelling was not one of them. :banana:

Pensacola

The funny thing about that is that I am a school teacher too! Thank God for spell check. I guess I should proof read a little better. Thanks for the corrections. I am not claiming to be perfect by any means. I will edit it for you. I can laugh at myself which makes life a lot less stressful when you consider all of the overly critical people in the world. Do they have spell check on here? I am no computer genius either! I am a private trainer/instuctor (small scale). I do not own a barn or run a facility in the area. The reason I mentioned I don't have to work is because I am not trying to make a profit or advertise for someone else. I am trying to see if there really is an interest in the area. That's it. It will take a long time to establish any team in this area. I would be willing to meet with any barn and/or any instructor who would like to share their ideas with me.

Last edited:
W

WildHorses

Are you a certified trainer/instructor? I know some young people in the area who are interested in showing. While you're gathering more information on the team issue will you be training/instructing at any place nearby. If so, what would be the best method for them to get in touch with you. Will you be judging any shows soon?
By the way, didn't mean to give you a hard time on the team issue, just playing devil's advocate.

Pensacola

I am judging on Dec 11, Dec 17, and in February sometime in Upper Marlboro. I am a certified teacher in FL, WA, & MD. I do not have a certification to teach horseback riding, but it is my opinion that the certification process is just another ploy to get money. One of the ladies that does the week long certification class, interviewed me, and was going to hire me as their "A" team instructor. It was just too far for me to drive with gas prices. I have met several people with certifications to teach that I would not allow my children to go to, and many people without certifications who were great instructors. I go by "ring reputation". You go to a decent show and sit by the ring. You listen to the instructors talk to their students. Then you watch their kids perform in the class. That is the best judge of a good instructor to me....not a certification (that means little). I tell everyone that takes lessons anywhere if you are not making progress then find a new instructor. I am not accepting any more students at this time. I have my hands pretty full. I try to put my "all" into my students, so I don't like to have too many. I get spread too thin. The only exception might be a home schooled student who already knows the basics and is serious about showing. You can give me a hard time or play devil's advocate anytime. It builds character and my husband gives me a hard time ALL the time.

Last edited:

Pensacola

Appyday- I really thought I did answer your question. I guess I just didn't actually post it. I used to teach a lady that owned a Paso breeding farm in Florida, but she rode an Arab in her lessons. All I know about Paso's is that they 're smooth to ride and don't make good hunters. Right?

Pensacola

I had a friend tell me about a private high school here in Leonardtown that has a riding team. I actually watched one of the girls ride at the finals a few weeks ago. Does anyone know who their instructor is, so I could talk to them? I don't even know where the school is located exactly.

W

WildHorses

Pensacola said:
I do not have a certification to teach horseback riding, but it is my opinion that the certification process is just another ploy to get money. One of the ladies that does the week long certification class, interviewed me, and was going to hire me as their "A" team instructor. It was just too far for me to drive with gas prices. I have met several people with certifications to teach that I would not allow my children to go to, and many people without certifications who were great instructors. I go by "ring reputation". QUOTE]
There are many barns that will only allow certified instructors with insurance to teach at their facilities. And, as far as I know, you can't get the insurance if you aren't certified. I'm afraid I don't agree that the certification process is just another ploy to get money, but that's just my opinion and that's what forums are all about, sharing opinions. :howdy:

W

WildHorses

I'd like to agree, but then I'd have to disagree with my insurance broker and then I wouldn't have coverage. Now I have a few other pieces of paper that, with $4.50, I could buy a Venti Mocha from Starbucks, but I'm afraid I have to stick with the certification. I also agree that I would not send my child to some certified instructors but, on the other hand, I would not send my child to some non-certified instructors. Luckily for me it's not an issue I need to address. I love this forum! :flowers:

fredsaid2

I've worked w/ instructors both certified and not. They all had insurance. Proof was required for them to teach where I boarded. Certification is a step in the right direction but it's way too easy to acquire at this time. The programs will get better and more stringent with time. I agree with Pensacola, I'd rather find someone based on their realtime credentials rather than a certificate. Think of how many of the top trainers are not certified yet you’d be thrilled to work with them. :smile: