Crabs (again)

D

dems4me

Just wondering... I understand you can legally crab up until december 15th... are the crabs even still running? I've asked a few people and they said they are running the Patuxent but slow and the ones you do get are fat and jumbo crabs... anyone else try this? Anyone else still crabbing this time of year?

rack'm

Jaded
I'm sure they are still running, we just ate a bushel last weekend.....most were meaty, some thin though.

D

dems4me

rack'm said:
I'm sure they are still running, we just ate a bushel last weekend.....most were meaty, some thin though.

Whenever I drive over the 231 bridge, I just don't see anyone crabbing, so I was wondering... hate to go through the hassle of getting the boat out there and everything set up for crabbing and then get laughed at because they arn't running this time of year. :lol:

rack'm

Jaded
dems4me said:
Whenever I drive over the 231 bridge, I just don't see anyone crabbing, so I was wondering... hate to go through the hassle of getting the boat out there and everything set up for crabbing and then get laughed at because they arn't running this time of year. :lol:

If you're having fun, who gives a rip what people think? :shrug:

D

dems4me

rack'm said:
If you're having fun, who gives a rip what people think? :shrug:

Its more fun when your trip is a productive trip... :lol:

D

dems4me

rack'm said:
Being on the water fishing/crabbing is where the fun is, catching is just a bonus. :shrug:

I like being out on the water (that's like Crack for me) but its a little different when its cold, your working on crabbing, getting no crabs and not even a nice tan to show for it. :ohwell: :cheers: Guess I'll try it sometime next week and let folks now if they are still running or not. :huggy:

rack'm

Jaded
dems4me said:
I like being out on the water (that's like Crack for me) but its a little different when its cold, your working on crabbing, getting no crabs and not even a nice tan to show for it. :ohwell: :cheers: Guess I'll try it sometime next week and let folks now if they are still running or not. :huggy:

It's supposed to be warm this weekend, why not then?

CMC122

Go Braves!
dems4me said:
It seems like your more looking for an excuse not to go:lol:

I was at Point Lookout all weekend and there were all kinds of people fishing and boating. This weekends forcast looks marvelous. Just do it

Nuff said:biggrin:

MMDad

Lem Putt
appyday said:
Dems...didn't you learn last year when you caught all those crabs? :confused:

You can use the meds at the pharmacy, but it's quicker if you just shave. Or get a brazilian wax.

oldman

Lobster Land
dems4me said:
Just wondering... I understand you can legally crab up until december 15th... are the crabs even still running? I've asked a few people and they said they are running the Patuxent but slow and the ones you do get are fat and jumbo crabs... anyone else try this? Anyone else still crabbing this time of year?

A friend and I have been crabbing for the past month just north of the bridge in Benedict and have been doing real well except for yesterday when we only picked up about 30 of them. They are on their way to wintering away but haven't completely done so yet. We use a trot line and have been running it 10-20 feet deep. I'd say at least 95% of them are males right now also.

D

dems4me

Just Me said:
Unless your going to trotline in about 20ft of water, don't think so, you may want to drop some pots. Surface water temp last Sat about 58. Lots of pots out in the mouth of the Patuxent/Bay in about 30 ft.

Actually found out crab pots are illegal short of having a commercial crabbing license or water front property. :ohwell: Thanks though!!! Can't this weekend, but I'll try it soon for sure!!! Thanks all!! :huggy: