Fried Turkey

duzzey1a

Anybody ever attempted to fry a turkey? Is it difficult? I'm trying to think of some good turkey-day ideas. :confused:

duzzey1a said:
Anybody ever attempted to fry a turkey? Is it difficult? I'm trying to think of some good turkey-day ideas. :confused:
Yes and it's awesome. Do it outside of course. You won't believe how great it is.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
smokedogg said:
You won't ever bake one again. It's that good.

:yeahthat:

We fried our first one last year and it was deFREAKINlicous! I'll never go back to baking/roasting again! Make sure you inject it with marinade the night before and don't put pepper on the skin unless you enjoy burnt, crispy turkey skin. It takes about 3.5 minutes per lb., but usually anything heavier than 19 - 20 lbs is a bit more difficult to cook.

Definitely try it. You won't be sorry.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Another :twocents:...

I never looked forward to the turkey on Thanksgiving, but this year I can't wait.

willie

It is just as good as everyone is saying but BE CAREFUL! A gravel driveway is best but do not do it on a deck. We submerge the turkey in the pot of water first to determine how much oil to use. The turkey displaces quite a bit of oil and you do not want it overfilled.

soul4sale

duzzey1a said:

Im my experience, frying a turkey is delicious, not greasy and fairly easy, so long as you observe common sense rules and employ a little help.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I've done it a few times. It's worth the effort as long as it isn't snowing. Look at foodtv.com for recipes and advice. I liked Alton Brown's recipe best. Three rules:

1. Have good quality thermometers. One for the oil, and one for the bird. Do not trust the cheap junk thing that comes with the fryer.

2. Have a good fire extinguisher handy.

3. Choose the location well. Think about 5 gallons of burning oil and plan accordingly. No kids nearby, nothing above you, and nothing flammable downhill.

MMDad said:
1. Have good quality thermometers. One for the oil, and one for the bird. Do not trust the cheap junk thing that comes with the fryer.
Pssst... note for dems... this means remove the plastic popper-upper before you immerse the bird.

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
I usually Fry one and Bake one. I love the left overs.

Here is a tip. Go down to the Donut connection or whatever the heck it is these days. Buy 2 of their donut glaze buckets. About $2.50 each. They have rubber seals. Once done frying, let the oil cool overnight. Then bring inside and let it get to room temp. Pour into these buckets and seal.

Great way to keep the oil. That stuff isn't cheap. You can even pour it through some cheescloth or something similar to get some of the crude out.

Oh, also, don;t wait till the last minute to buy your oil. We spent half of the day before Thaksgiving last year trying to find some.

If on the day you are cooking it is windy, Microwave the bird a little first. The wind sucks alot of the heat away from the pot and it cooks much differently on windy days. nuking a little ahead of time will reduce the risk of you overcooking the outside of the bird and having an undercooked inside.