2 Weeks

CityGrl

Time for a nap
If you were spending two weeks in Europe (specifically Paris and Germany), what spots would you definitely visit???

Mikeinsmd

CityGrl said:
If you were spending two weeks in Europe (specifically Paris and Germany), what spots would you definitely visit???
You couldn't PAY me to go to Paris but in Germany, any pub I could find! :cheers:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
CityGrl said:
Paris: The Louvre(sp?), Cathedral of Notre Dame, Versailles (Not too far from Paris is the palace if the French Kings), Arch de Triumph(again sp?).

Germany:Berlin, the Black Forest, Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria which inspired the castle at disney land. When are you going, cause theres a great festval in Keil, Germany on the nothern coast in the summer.

MMDad

Lem Putt
CityGrl said:

Skip France and go to Sicily. Siracusa is absolutely amazing. WWII relics, back to 3,000 year old artifacts.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
I guess a good point to bring up is what are you interested in? I know I would be crawling around 3,000 year old ruins, but that seems to bore some people.

L

ladylara

france was nothing special in my opinion. paris was filled with rude people and high prices. i saw a woman change a child in the gutter and she left the dirty diaper. kid you not!

germany is wonderful! dining on steak and fries on the rhine is a must! i enjoyed achen and baden baden's castles. http://www.walkseefeld.com/daytrips/neuschwanstein-castle.htm of course, random searches for castles and city names on google will bring you hours of research.

northern italy is lovely if you have the chance to veer off your plans of just germany and france. so is luxembourg and the netherlands.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
CityGrl said:
Germany:

Rothenburg, a walled city that actually protected their Jewish citizens during WWII.. VERY old.

Fulda DOM, and Orangerie

Somber but a must, DACHAU..

Garmisch...

Coburg, Hummel Factory... and a castle for hubby FULL of armor and medieval weapons.

Rhine River Cruise for sure.. Lorelie...

Neuschwanstein, and the other King Ludwig Castles and Palaces.. ie the Grotto.. (VERY toursity)

TRIER.. a ROMAN city in Germany, complete with coliseum..

Nuremberg Zoo

Get lost and visit all the Non-Touristy small villages stuck in the woods in Bavaria, stop at the local pub for food and drinks.

Do a motorcycle Tour of Europe.. Opening up my "Edelweiss Tour" savings account today!

T

tikipirate

The reality of Paris doesn't match up with the romantic image of Paris that Americans hold.

Instead of trying to see the sights, you might be better served by picking two or three cities and enjoying them for what they are. If there are touristy things there, great, but pick the cities for the general atmosphere.

Let's take the US. Without naming any specific sites you already know that LA is a warm, polluted metropolitan beach city with a bent towards show-biz and a large hispanic and Pacific rim community. And you know that Boston is an historic yankee city with a bent towards fisheries and a large Polish and Portuguese community (among others). Warm or cold, history or beach fun? You already know the answer because you are familiar with it.

My favorite spots in Northern continental Europe are Amsterdamm, Hameln, and Munchen. Tour from the Netherlands through mid-Northern Germany and down to Southern Germany. Laid-back towns with cafes and biergartens, so you can relax and take in the area and the people. Sure, there are touristy things to do (Rembrandt museum in Amsterdamm, etc) but you're not running from spot to spot.

Berlin was cool (and weird) to see when the wall was still up, but not sure how it is these days. I would now probably avoid Berlin and Frankfort.

Bern, Switzerland is a beautiful little city, but not much to see or do. Once again, just relax and take it all in. It is, however, a jumping-off point to head into the Bernese Oberland section of the Alps, with Interlaken probably being one of the most beautiful places in the world.

If you speak Spanish, Madrid is one big party. But beware that Spain and the areas of France and Italy that lie on the Mediterranean coast are not too English-friendly.

Buy some Frommers travel guides and see what feels right for you. They are quite descriptive and will probably help you decide what you want out of your trip.

Have fun!