Any ATV repair shops other than a dealer

General Lee

I'm looking for a repair shop perferably in St. Mary's but not limited to. I would rather avoid Atlantic Cycle.

Any recommendations? Thanks

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
What kind and what is wrong with it......I do minor work on some....I do know a place that works on them too.....Let me know..

General Lee

Dupontster said:
What kind and what is wrong with it......I do minor work on some....I do know a place that works on them too.....Let me know..

It is a 02 Yamaha Kodiack 4x4, the pull start mechanism needs to be replaced. The plastic spool that holds the cord is damaged. The battery recently died and I have been pull starting it for the time being, until now. One thing I was wondering is if I get a new battery and remove the internal parts inside the pull start cover (because the crank is rubbing something due to damage) will it hurt anything if the crank spins freely without the pull start mechanism fully intact. I would install the cover back on. I just need to use it this weekend for hunting and If I get a battery I wouldn't need the pull start. This is just to buy some time until I can get it fixed.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
General Lee said:
It is a 02 Yamaha Kodiack 4x4, the pull start mechanism needs to be replaced. .
Just go online, order the part and do it yourself. That's about the same as replacing the pull rope on a lawm mower.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I am assuming that it has electric start with a recoil backup....I don't see it hurting anything if you took the recoil off and just used the electric start.....There is a spring in there that might be broken....If it isn't, just be careful taking it off because it could fly out.....Just watch eyes....

General Lee

Yea, it has electric start. The entire mechanism is in pieces and I'm not 100% sure where each peice goes. BUt the only damaged part is the plastic wheel the cord wraps around. There is a spring, a oblonged metal piece that catches the crank I assume when you pull the cord, and a couple of other parts.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
It looks pretty simple to fix....Is this it?

Attachments

• 02YFM400FAHPB10.gif
    02YFM400FAHPB10.gif
    51.3 KB · Views: 96

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
General Lee said:
Yea, it has electric start. The entire mechanism is in pieces and I'm not 100% sure where each peice goes. BUt the only damaged part is the plastic wheel the cord wraps around. There is a spring, a oblonged metal piece that catches the crank I assume when you pull the cord, and a couple of other parts.
They call the plastic wheel a "sheave drum", found it online for about $20 at World of Powersports and the starter rope is about $6 (you still have the T-handle, right?). Should be something you can do yourself.