Cold Weather Gear

fredsaid2

What's your favorite winter riding gear? What have you found to be tried and true and what have you seen that looks like it would work?

Like most I've found the Warm Hands & Warm Toes are great. Really like the Boink riding tights w/ fleece inside and smooth material outside. Another nice item I found last year is the helmet beanie. It's fleece on the top, silky material on the sides, fits under most helmets and covers the ears.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I love my muck boots and hope the brit riders i've ordered are as nice for riding as the mucks are for working outside in are....I also love my carhart coat. Not a fashion statement by a long stretch, but cozy all the same. Mine unzips from the bottom too, so it doesn't bind. I hate coats with elastic waist bands.. my full chaps are nice and warm as well. doesn't hurt that i think they're kind-a sexy too, in a cowgirl up sort-a way :lol:

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
Ive got some strechy sweat pants that are tight like leggings and fit under my jeans - sooo toasty. I bought them at BJs several years ago and would give my eyeteeth to be able to find them again. They are way warmer than regular long johns! I've gave a pair to a friend at that time and she is wearing hers to death too. Her hubby is laughing at her as she dresses in the morning - hers have holes in the knees and she refuses to give them up.

Pensacola

I have been riding, teaching, and freezing lately. I look like the pillsbury doe girl everytime I go out because I have so many clothes on. Man... Maryland gets COLD! I can't stay warm. Everyone always says to me you have to wear layers, so I layer up! I can't even zip up my chaps. I seriously considered going back to teach school just so I could have a job back inside! A friend told me about some boots at Target that are supposed to keep your feet warm and dry up to 20 degrees below zero, so I bought some tonight. I hope they work before I die from hypothermia. I bought one of those beenie hats and I hate it. It pushes my helmet in my eyes and messes with my peripheral vision. ANyway, I will be looking for some warm answers too.

fredsaid2

Pensacola said:
I have been riding, teaching, and freezing lately. I look like the pillsbury doe girl everytime I go out because I have so many clothes on. Man... Maryland gets COLD! I can't stay warm. Everyone always says to me you have to wear layers, so I layer up! I can't even zip up my chaps. I seriously considered going back to teach school just so I could have a job back inside! A friend told me about some boots at Target that are supposed to keep your feet warm and dry up to 20 degrees below zero, so I bought some tonight. I hope they work before I die from hypothermia. I bought one of those beenie hats and I hate it. It pushes my helmet in my eyes and messes with my peripheral vision. ANyway, I will be looking for some warm answers too.

Have you tried UnderArmor? Very thin tops and bottoms. Plus I'd suggest you look into a product like
Boink Equestrian . They were the first I saw with a fleece product that had the smooth outer layer. Stuff doesn't stick to it like reqular fleece. Pricey but very toasty! Maybe a different size helmet if the beanie is allowing it to move into your eyes? Above all go to Wal-Mart and get the heat packs! They last for hours. Daughter used the toe warmers during winter meets w/ just field boots and stayed warm - that's a major product endorsement coming from her : )

spellbound

Ugh! I haven't even considered riding in weeks.

I remember going to shows in single digit temperatures as a teenager. I'd wear 5 layers of tights and long johns under my breeches. The breeches would have to be a couple sizes larger than the usual in order to fit all that underneath.

For riding at home i'd just wear several layers of regular sweatpants and sweatshirts-with long johns underneath of course.

mingiz

Horse Poor
I've been riding about 30 yrs and the best boot I have found for winter riding is the muck boot. I have ridden in the blue ridge in the snow and my feet were toasty. I also wear outback gear. They are great also...Gloves are my biggest problem I hate bulky gloves that you can't grip reins with.

Pensacola

Maybe I have Florida made muck boots. They don't have any lining around the foot area. I thought my feet were going to fall off the other day! I haven't bought those heating packs. Wouldn't they make you feel like you have something stuck in your shoe? The reason my hat is too big is because I am keeping my hair down trying to keep warm. I am going to go defrost in Florida for a couple of days. You guys be nice to each other! I can't believe how mean some people have been on the other threads. Thanks for the tips! Spell bound- does that mean you won't be riding again until May when it warms up?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Pensacola said:
Maybe I have Florida made muck boots. They don't have any lining around the foot area. I thought my feet were going to fall off the other day!

Which ones do you have the original Mucks or the Brit Riders?
:thinkimayhavemadeaBIGmistake:

mingiz

Horse Poor
I have the original mucks. I can honestly say that my feet and legs stay warm. I have walked across streams with them on recently and stayed warm and dry. I want another pair

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
appyday said:
I usually start the ride out with well say..not enough clothes on..Then about 1/2 way through the ride I comment on how warm Mingiz looks. Then a little later I ask for her jacket...then I am nice and toasty and enjoy the rest of my ride..

:lmao:

JOE STOLFZFUS CALLED TONIGHT MY BRIT RIDERS ARE IN
:yay:

Now...who wants to ride?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
appyday said:
I usually start the ride out with well say..not enough clothes on..Then about 1/2 way through the ride I comment on how warm Mingiz looks. Then a little later I ask for her jacket...then I am nice and toasty and enjoy the rest of my ride..
Stolzfus is da cheapest by 2o bucks a pair and no shipping!! :biggrin:
What-sa matta wit your original ones? I have a pair of then original ones and LOVE them.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
appyday said:
Mine were cheaper I was going to GIVE them to you :razz: Also in the cold weather I like to ride to Happyappys and eat her home made chicken soup.. :yum:
WAS??? :frown: i can still use 'em...i'd cherish 'em forever!
oh i think were done with the hobbles now....found some fur lined :nebbermind:

PS i'm letting Boy take MY CAR to his GFs mom's :amiabigdummyorwhat:

fredsaid2

Those bibs certainly look warm but nylon against leather would give zero grip. Riding pants generally have some kind of grippy surface on the inside of the leg; leather, suede or such. Plust the bulk factor. All those discussions about body sizes and now you want to pad it up :biggrin:

fredsaid2

mingiz said:
I've been riding about 30 yrs and the best boot I have found for winter riding is the muck boot. I have ridden in the blue ridge in the snow and my feet were toasty. I also wear outback gear. They are great also...Gloves are my biggest problem I hate bulky gloves that you can't grip reins with.

Though it hasn't been cold enough yet to say if they're super warm, the Ariat insulated pro grip gloves with the knit cuff are made with very nice supple leather. No problem at all with rein contact. Wheatley's carries some Ariat stuff and the Prince Frederick shop had them too. You might like them.
:smile:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
I kept the best part of my ex-husband when he left...his hunting gear from Cabellas Magazine. I am a fashion statement in camo :razz: