iguana

just.me

spike is (probably) around 2, he is 44 inches long and getting nastier instead of tamer. is this normal? will he ever become calmer???

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
If it's a male it is absolutely normal. Males can become more aggresive as they get older. And at that size they can do alot of damage and be very unpredictable so watch out. That tail HURTS if it gets ya! And they have a hell of a bite.

just.me

Charles said:
Flush him! The guys at Waste Water Treatment need some excitement.
he isnt as bad as he could be, i guess. and he is going thru a full shed right now....he threatens me all the time with his tail and his open mouth. he has bitten me twice now, but neither one was bad. thank god. i have invested so much in him that i pretty much refuse to give up. Money, space!, and time.....

just.me

Ig meat sells for about 13 bucks a pound....but I think I would rather have a new pair of shoes.....

T

tikipirate

Like other animals, an iguana requires socialization. Plus, they seem to have a short memory. So if you don't handle him at least once a day he may revert.

Has he had any recent exposure to dogs/cats/birds? These are his natural enemies and could traumatize him enough to make him turn surly.

Bathtime always seems to cheer the little buggers up. Let him have a good soak in the tub filled with lukewarm water every other day. This also does wonders for his color and helps him shed. He will leave you a little gift for your effort, though.

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
just.me said:
he isnt as bad as he could be, i guess. and he is going thru a full shed right now....he threatens me all the time with his tail and his open mouth. he has bitten me twice now, but neither one was bad. thank god. i have invested so much in him that i pretty much refuse to give up. Money, space!, and time.....

Well he's a lucky lizard. Good luck with him.