"The Bourne Identity"

B

Betty_Elms

Decent action flick, but I was really disappointed with the ending. Surprised to see Julia Stiles in it too....
Had Matt Damon in it so it wasn't a total loss :razz2:
Any thoughts?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by Betty_Elms
Decent action flick, but I was really disappointed with the ending. Surprised to see Julia Stiles in it too....
Had Matt Damon in it so it wasn't a total loss :razz2:
Any thoughts?
:smile: Hi Betty, I haven't seen it yet, but the previews look great on the tube. Did you go see it in the movies, or buy the DVD?

:cheers: penn

B

Betty_Elms

I watched it tonight on DVD.....I just thought the ending was too....I don't know...happy-cheesy. Not that it was terrible, I just expected something different I guess....

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I watched it tonight on DVD.....I just thought the ending was too....I don't know...happy-cheesy. Not that it was terrible, I just expected something different I guess....
:biggrin: Are you gonna let me borrow the DVD, I got a kiiler Dolby Digital surround system!

demsformd

I watched this last night and felt the same way as Betty. And I don't understand what the term "30 million dollar" bourne identity meant. Did they spend 30 million dollars on the guy so he would lose his identity or something?

B

Betty_Elms

lol, sorry Penn, you're going to have to borrow it from Blair's Video like I did :razz2:

Dems, there were a few things in the movie that didn't quite make a lot of sense to me....I can't think of an example at the moment, but I think there were just a few things in the film that really had no value and could have been left out.....

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
lol, sorry Penn, you're going to have to borrow it from Blair's Video like I did :razz2:

Dems, there were a few things in the movie that didn't quite make a lot of sense to me....I can't think of an example at the moment, but I think there were just a few things in the film that really had no value and could have been left out.....
:smile: Aw, Ok Betty, I'll just have to check it out like you say; I hadda ask though!
Funny, if you watch most movies like that with any sense
of attempting to link things together for realism, you'll find many movies "take liberty" with the plot. The movie "Pearl Harbor" had a lot of those. Three I can think of: All nurses during WWII were officers, not NCOs; They had a human interest story of an 18 yr old nurse, engaged to one of the pilots, she would have had to start college at 14?? Several shots of the Japanese carrier fleet were BS, 'cause they had radar screens revolving on the ships. They did not have radar(Japs) then. When the Doolittles' raid on Tokyo was in progress, US forces were monitoring it from
Pearl. Uh-uh, we didn't have radios with THAT kind of range during WWII(7,000 mi+) . I'll have to see what you guys are talking about in this movie.

B

Betty_Elms

Originally posted by penncam
[Bmany movies "take liberty" with the plot [/B]

Thank goodness they do...if every movie were totally based on real life fact, I would have a lot less interesting stuff to watch. I deal with real life every day, and it's usually very boring. Bring on the sensationalism! Even true stories made into movies, such as "Patch Adams", "Erin Brokovich", and "Pearl Harobor" are much more enjoyable (at least to me), once there is some fake Hollywood junk is added!

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Thank goodness they do...if every movie were totally based on real life fact, I would have a lot less interesting stuff to watch. I deal with real life every day, and it's usually very boring. Bring on the sensationalism! Even true stories made into movies, such as "Patch Adams", "Erin Brokovich", and "Pearl Harobor" are much more enjoyable (at least to me), once there is some fake Hollywood junk is added!
:cool: I agree about the Hollywood sensationalism, but gee, that was an historical event, and they could have tried a little more to be true to actual sequences. I did enjoy(glad I wasn't there!) the scenes of the Zeros coming in to deliver their ordinance, and over head shots of the bombs falling, and the torpedoes coming in from across the bay. Kind of gives you a perspective of what those sailors went through.
But being in the military for a number of years, working with radar and radios, I couldn't help snigger a little when they showed the command post at Pearl listening in to the raid over Tokyo between the pilots. It just didn't happen; all they could do was wait until the crews got back, or recieve message by telephone, from wherever! Hell of a soundtrack, too, with all the music and sound effects.
Overall, I liked Erin Brockovich, like don't ever settle for a quick answer and never stop trying, but I suppose I could have done without her foul language(LOTS OF IT). I'll bet she could put any sailor to shame, as the old saying goes.

penn

B

Betty_Elms

See...I'm one of the ignorant masses. Most of the movies I see about true events....I know little to nothing about the actual events, so if it strays from the truth, it doesn't bother me one bit. I'm sure there are a lot of people that know facts from fiction, but I would say as a whole, most people are happy just being entertained, even if it's BS! Yay for full of it Hollywood scriptwriters!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by demsformd
I don't understand what the term "30 million dollar" bourne identity meant. Did they spend 30 million dollars on the guy so he would lose his identity or something?
If I remember the book correctly (it's been quite a while since I read it), the $30 million was the amount the government spent to turn him into the ultimate assassin/killing machine.

I think it was also the first book of a trilogy, but I don't remember reading the other two. :confused: I haven't seen the movie, but that may be why it ended the way it did.

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Several shots of the Japanese carrier fleet were BS, 'cause they had radar screens revolving on the ships. They did not have radar(Japs) then. When the Doolittles' raid on Tokyo was in progress, US forces were monitoring it from
Pearl. Uh-uh, we didn't have radios with THAT kind of range during WWII(7,000 mi+) . I'll have to see what you guys are talking about in this movie.
While I can agree that Japan did not have radars of that type during the early days of WWII, I don't share the same about the radio information.

First, Tokyo to Honolulu is only 3800+ miles, not 7000+ miles as you contend. Next, the B-25 had HF radio capability (BC-375 Tx and BC-348 Rx). While I am not saying that it did happen, I believe that it could have happened, just ask any ham operator about HF range. Besides it adds to the theatrics of this movie to add the drama of those scenes.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Alright, my range is off.....

Originally posted by Ken King
While I can agree that Japan did not have radars of that type during the early days of WWII, I don't share the same about the radio information.

First, Tokyo to Honolulu is only 3800+ miles, not 7000+ miles as you contend. Next, the B-25 had HF radio capability (BC-375 Tx and BC-348 Rx). While I am not saying that it did happen, I believe that it could have happened, just ask any ham operator about HF range. Besides it adds to the theatrics of this movie to add the drama of those scenes.
:smile: However, if you noticed, the bomber crews were talking amongst each other, ie, inter-plane radios - very short range. And in addition, you didn't see or hear any of the crews talking to Pearl, on HF or any other type of communications equipment. I don't believe they had SATCOM in those days, either.
Another funny thing I saw was the depiction of the Japanese Fleet(besides the radar screens); all the Jap carriers were converted cruisers at that time, with the flight deck supported by huge girders/beams, for lack of Navyspeak, about 15-20 feet above the main cruiser deck. You could see through the other side. But not in this movie, they were solid hulls. One guy told me, I didn't notice this, but there was a Los Angeles class nuke sub in a few of the shots of the Japanese fleet. Uh-huh!
One more for ya: I would have never noticed this, but apparently they way this movie portrayed the first wave or so of Zeros and Kates(?) coming in over the island was all wrong. The valleys and mountain features shown would not have led them into Pearl Harbor, they were flying the wrong way!
:smile: penn

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Re: Alright, my range is off.....

:smile: However, if you noticed, the bomber crews were talking amongst each other, ie, inter-plane radios - very short range. And in addition, you didn't see or hear any of the crews talking to Pearl, on HF or any other type of communications equipment. I don't believe they had SATCOM in those days, either.
I didn't say it happened, but might have as these crews didn't have headset equiped radios but open speakers and hand held or neck microphones that might have picked up some of the inter-plane communications from the receivers.
Another funny thing I saw was the depiction of the Japanese Fleet(besides the radar screens); all the Jap carriers were converted cruisers at that time, with the flight deck supported by huge girders/beams, for lack of Navyspeak, about 15-20 feet above the main cruiser deck. You could see through the other side. But not in this movie, they were solid hulls. One guy told me, I didn't notice this, but there was a Los Angeles class nuke sub in a few of the shots of the Japanese fleet. Uh-huh!
One more for ya: I would have never noticed this, but apparently they way this movie portrayed the first wave or so of Zeros and Kates(?) coming in over the island was all wrong. The valleys and mountain features shown would not have led them into Pearl Harbor, they were flying the wrong way!

Maybe if this was labeled as a documentary I would care, it was just a movie (you know, for entertainment). How accurate of a depiction is a fictional film supposed to be?

I had noticed that the incoming wave was going the wrong way too, but you have to admit the scenery was excellent. Do you think the directors and producers really care about accuracy?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
No doubt....

:smile: Ok, possible about the radios, but I doubt it. If watched solely for entertainment value, yes both visually and sonically it was an outstanding movie. It had my DD surround system thundering! However, there are/were many archived films of the Japanese fleets of that time, so they might have attempted to "clean" them up digitally and use them in their depiction, instead of a US force.Heck, they would have only needed them for a half dozen scenes, at most. But another point is that they did do a darned dood job historically replicating costumes, the military planes on both sides, showing us the Japanese spies on the island(one was a dentist, I believe), on the whole it seemed pretty factual. I bought the darned DVD!
Does Hollywood care that much? Most likely not; because as good as this movie was, I've seen others that have shown "Soviet Mig-31s" as Northrop T-38s or F-5s, fighting up against our Air Force F-4s! That's realism for you!

:cool: penn

B

Betty_Elms

Dang, "The Bourne Identity" is not a fitting title for this thread anymore lol

Good facts all boys, keep it up so this ignorant-masser can learn more :biggrin:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Dang, "The Bourne Identity" is not a fitting title for this thread anymore lol

Good facts all boys, keep it up so this ignorant-masser can learn more :biggrin:
:smile: Sorry about that, Betty. I guess not that many folks have rented the DVD yet of "The Bourne Identity" because there have been only a few replies about it, but I trust there'll be more in a few days. Forgive the aside please.

Satine

My biggest problem with this movie is that the man doesn't know who he is by getting amnesia somehow..be it the gun shots or the cold water...the thing that makes me uneasy is, ok he doesn't know who he is ok i get it but how does he still know that he can kick butt like a ninja and that the number on the thing in his back is to a safety box in switzerland? hello? if i saw that i would go to the cops and then i would get caught by these people who are trying to kill him. Thank goodness the old guy at the end killed the prick that was running the whole thing. Yeah and i agree with Betty the ending sucked and was it not supposed to be like two years later by the length of the girls hair? Hello? where was he that whole time? oh well...i won't but this movie but if i have to i will see it again. I guess....

K

Kain99

I guess I'm a lame duck! Tried to watch it twice.... fell asleep both times. Just not up my alley. :wink: