Good blacksmith??

Atir211

Anyone know of a good blacksmith in the Hugesville area that's accepting new clients? Any feed back on Ben Schumacher - who's been posting an add on the classified? Been w/ same person for 10 years and have a "problem child". Thinkin it's time I got a second opinion to see what's what. She's been foundering since she was a 3 year old - no foot growth at all and dunno what the heck to do with her. She last had an episode exactly 1 year ago(still holding my breath), but still NO foot growth. Tried 3 different additives from the vets advice - expensive and no help. Thanx for any input......

So. County

Farrier recommendations, etc.

We've used Ben Schumacher twice; we only have trims done. He's very young (don't know--20 or so?), but a polite, nice guy, and he shows up on time and brings his appointment book, and he will call you back, or email you back. His family owns a stable near St. Mary's Lake - he's used to horses, it's been his life, I guess, so I think he's pretty knowledgable. I mention the "shows up on time" because I had a really bad experience with a young guy who started, then quit, soon after...can't recall his name, but someone else probably does. I'd leave work, be out in the yard waiting for an hour, go back in the house, THEN he'd call and say he couldn't make it for some reason. And blew off my phone calls ALL the time, etc. etc. Anyhow. Ben was trained at whatever class they have so I give him some points for not just assuming he could pick up the trade w/o any professional training. I'd go with someone more experienced if you have a special needs, but then again - he's got the time, he wants to learn, I bet he'd be up to the challenge. Anyone else used him before? He charges $30 per trim - that's up there. We used Dave Stauffer for a long time. Wasn't dissatisfied but it could be frustrating because he had no phone, we'd have to pick up, drive back, etc. but got used to that and he was cheaper for trims - $20, I think? But paying the $30 is worth it simply for saving time.

So. County

Re: Farrier, etc.

GAWD. Did Ben Schumacher really say $40 for a trim? He quoted us $30...why he'd say more to someone else, I have no idea! That's awfully high. He could work himself right out of anyone else wanting to call if that gets around - too much for a new name, new biz.

About the Amish - I liked Dave Stauffer. He charged us $20 for a trim. He did a good job, but I was very aware that our ponies and his horses were very different things to him. He told me once he had a horse that couldn't work anymore. He said he left it in the barn for a month, feeding it a lot, to fatten it up. Then he sold it to the dealer in the area....Jerry something. Get as much money as you can. There's just a totally different attitude there. I never saw him do anything bad to our ponies but, like I said - the feelings are very obviously different.

Elam at the tack place said something to me once along the same lines. How they sold their older work horses for slaughter....he said, they are going to die anyway one day - what did it matter how they died?

spinner

We use pat Riffle at 301 769 3503 and are very satisfied. We have a mini horse that is not used to being handled and Pat takes his time and is very gentle with him. As a matter of fact, he was here trimming our donkey's feet today. He charged me $30. He is very kind to the animals and I like that. The biggest problem I have is I have known he and his family for years, we get to talking and I forget to make dinner.

So. County

Re: Farriers, etc.

Appyday: You know I appreciated the fact you got Leo back. I saw the ad for him at the feedmill, and it had been crossed out. Mike told me, "Yes, she sold him to someone and then said she didn't want him to be sold for slaughter, so she took him back." I couldn't believe it. I'd much much rather call the vet and put a horse down then send him up the road that way. If he ever needs a home again, let me know. We are down to 0 full size since we lost the pony. The minis are great, we bought two from Kelly (you gave me her barn phone #!) though the 2 year old mare has a HUGE attitude. My husband says there are 2 minis for sale at the amish mill. Said they are cute as can be. Ours always try to get in the kitchen when we go in and out and they are let out in the yard. They just see no reason why they can't go in there; they'd fit so easily thru the door, after all.

Yes, I'm afraid that Ben Schumacher is going to get a name for himself/ruin his name simply because of cost of trims. Especially if he's not stating the same price for everyone....

Atir211

Thanks for all the input everyone. I ended up trying Pat Riffle and he seems really good. He charged me $30 per trim, which is alittle expensive but I don't mind paying alittle extra for someone who takes their time and is good with my babies. He has even made the effort to request access to my "problem childs" x-rays at the vet office. Dag, could he really care about the job he does???? Another HUGE plus! He was alittle late due to truck probs, but actually called to say he'd be late - another plus in my book. Nothing worse then taking off from work when you don't have to and waiting around.
Again - thanx everyone for all the names & info

So. County

Farriers, etc.

I gotta ask: Is Pat Riffie the guy who is also employed in some type of medical-type work as his major job? I believe he wears cowboy boys and was a rather tall, strapping, nice looking guy. If so, I think we used him once and we were also happy with him. He brought his daughter with him when he did our horses...

So. County

Farrier, Hay, etc.

Ha! That was my first thought when I saw this guy. Throw a pair of cowboy boots on anyone and he goes up a few points anyway. Not enough guys wear them in my opinion. What horse did you buy? My boss is getting transferred to Orlando, FLA and is selling his 3 arabians back to the original people he purchased them from. He says he's got about 200 bales of hay cut from his own field (some timothy, alfalfa and mostly "pasture mix" he says: I know about zip about hay) that he needs to sell. He was trying to get $3 a bale for it. I bought 3 bales from him the other day. He told me they were "large" bales but they aren't really much bigger than the average size ones you get anywhere. We pay about $6.35 or so from the feed mill. This hay is very yellow and fresh; not much green at all which the minis seem to like, but they are eating it. He lives in St. Leonard. Let me know if this sounds like a good deal. My hubby wants to go get more at his house (my boss brought it into work, left it in his truck, and we went out in the parking lot, loaded into hubby's truck, etc.) and we could bring back a few extra bales.

So. County

Farriers, etc.

Geez! I don't know who that man was in my yard if not Mr. Riffie! That's funny as sh--: I cannot remember what this guy's name was. Oh well.

Atir211

Originally posted by jaybeeztoo
I do not think Pat Riffle is the cowboy you describe :lol:, but I would love to find that farrier you describe!!!
Ah Hem, if ya do find him - can I come and watch?? Geessh, ya'll had me thinkin I'd missed out on something - hubby was here and held the horses. Was thinkin "girl, you gotta be there next time" Oh well, we all KNOW he's out there somewhere - right?

horseschu

Farrier - Ben Schumacher Horseshoeing

I’m glad to see my classified adds are getting some notice and appreciate the good words my clients have shared. I look forward to serving Southern Maryland as a farrier. I have some observations regarding the forum traffic

First, I do not charge clients different prices for the same work. HOWEVER, I DO DISCOUNT FOR MULTIPLE HORSES AT THE SAME LOCATION. There are time and travel savings I pass on to clients with multiple horses. My original prices were set with some guidance from my Shoeing Instructor. He apparently was not familiar with the Southern Maryland prices. I assure you all my clients will be charged consistently and fairly. Effective 15 April, One trim is $30; three or more are $20 each.

2. Yes, I am “young” – energetic, eager, capable and well schooled in shoeing.

I am a Journeyman Farrier Certified by the Brotherhood of Working Farriers Association (http://www.bwfa.net/) and completed my training at The Maryland School for Horseshoeing under the instruction of Bubby Roderick, B.W.F.A. Certified Master Farrier, Certified Master Educator, Certified Master Tester, Master Educator Vice President ( http://www.lrn2shoe.com). The course included extensive hands-on shoeing and forge work in addition to farrier science. I believe both the formal education and experience are required to properly attend to your horses needs. BWFA membership provides a broad network of shoeing knowledge from which I can draw. In addition, I am not just a farrier; I’m a horse owner and enthusiast as well.

I hope I can be of service to you.

Sincerely,
Ben Schumacher

DZIGGY

Atir211 said:
Anyone know of a good blacksmith in the Hugesville area that's accepting new clients? Any feed back on Ben Schumacher - who's been posting an add on the classified? Been w/ same person for 10 years and have a "problem child". Thinkin it's time I got a second opinion to see what's what. She's been foundering since she was a 3 year old - no foot growth at all and dunno what the heck to do with her. She last had an episode exactly 1 year ago(still holding my breath), but still NO foot growth. Tried 3 different additives from the vets advice - expensive and no help. Thanx for any input......
I can tell you of a good Farrier that will only take on problem/sick horses. I know her work because I am a Farrier as well and work with her. Her name is Sheila Montgomery, she is in Calvert County and is a wonderful Farrier. Very educated and will be willing to help you with you problem. Please let her know that Don Ziegler has referred her to you and you will get her reduce referal rate. Her phone number is 202-437-7970.

Last edited:

DZIGGY

Those of you that are complaining of a $30 or $40 trim, be glad you don't live in Northern Maryland (Montgomerty County, Fredrick County, Howard County,etc.) where Farriers get $65 each horse for the first visit and $50 a return visit. Really if you tried to do it yourself you would be glad to have us and have a little more respect for our job as Farriers. We are just as important as your vet! We trim and balance the foundation of your horse!

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
DZIGGY said:
I can tell you of a good Farrier that will only take on problem/sick horses. I know her work because I am a Farrier as well and work with her. Her name is Sheila Montgomery, she is in Calvert County and is a wonderful Farrier. Very educated and will be willing to help you with you problem. Please let her know that Don Ziegler has referred her to you and you will get her reduce referal rate. Her phone number is 202-437-7970.

:yeahthat: she is a nice person too, also she will take pix of hooves and stuff. My neighbor down the street raves about her.

It was nice to meet you the other night, Don...Anne and I really liked you and she seemed pleased with you and how you work! It's awesome that you live right down the road. She and I both recommend you. :yay:

DZIGGY

Thank you Christi and was a pleasure meeting you and will be looking forward to doing business with you in the future

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
The guy in the cowboy boots who also works in the medical field is Bo Busler. If anyone wants his number they can im me and I'll get it to them.