Trueness to a specific religion...

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I am a baptized Catholic and attended Catholic school for grades K-8. Dean (fiance) is a baptized Lutheran but hasn't ever really practiced the religion. We're getting married in the Catholic Church this May, and are required to attend marriage preparation classes. We completed the class this weekend, and several issues came up that really got us thinking. While I have faith in God - my trueness to the Catholic faith is in question.

As most faith's do, there are many specific beliefs and a certain lifestyle that the Catholic church expects you to follow. It's not that they don't welcome you as a member if you don't follow all of them, but they do in a sense 'shove in down your throat' in many ways. I always realized this, but after this class and going over each lifestyle manner, it's a little more out of control that I thought!

I guess where I'm going with this - is to ask if all Catholics FULLY believe in ALL the theories and lifestyle? And follow the 'rules' per se? Is it acceptable to take from the religion what you can value for your life, or is that too much picking and choosing?

I mean, some of the things they're expecting are absolutely insane in our opinion. I guess it really hit home when we sat through presentations by a few couples, and to see how much they truly believe in and live this lifetyle to a "T". We could NEVER be like this, despite the fact that we are good people. Most of the opinions on sexual relations, quantity of children, etc... are just completely unrealistic. I could go on forever, but I suppose am looking for others' opinions on the topic.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by laureng
I mean, some of the things they're expecting are absolutely insane in our opinion. I guess it really hit home when we sat through presentations by a few couples, and to see how much they truly believe in and live this lifetyle to a "T". We could NEVER be like this, despite the fact that we are good people. Most of the opinions on sexual relations, quantity of children, etc... are just completely unrealistic. I could go on forever, but I suppose am looking for others' opinions on the topic.

My heart goes out to you Lauren. This is one of those really important questions that requires a truly honest and open answer. I'll start by letting you know that I have problems being objective when it comes to these dilemma's. So the best I can do, is give it to ya straight from the heart.

Kain' s Philosophy:

Doctrine divides. God does not expect nor does he want us to follow Religion. he simply requires that we follow him.

You could sit down with 10 Biblical scholars. All of them would take the same verse and offer 10 seperate opinions on it's meaning.

You and Dean will be joined together as one for life. The two of you should do nothing less, than stay true to yourselves and your God in the ways that you deem fit.

There are several words that you will not find in the Bible. Catholic is one of them. Do not confuse the facts. God says follow me. That's all you have to do! :wink:

Makavide

Not too talkative
Originally posted by laureng
I guess it really hit home when we sat through presentations by a few couples, and to see how much they truly believe in and live this lifetyle to a "T".

I am also Catholic, I was raised Catholic and went through all the CCD classes. I then walked away from the church for a while and came back. I am fairly active in the church now as well. And truthfully, most of the people I know that attend with me do not follow all the rules the Catholic church has. Every one ussually stays true to themselves and follows what they need to to believe.

Most of the "retreats" I have been to (such as the marriage encounters) the couples that are chosen to speak at these are hand picked, and pre-screened to ensure that they toe the party line.

Just remeber, there are many Catholic Churches in the area, if one makes you uncomfortable, find another one where you feel welcomed

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Thanks guys, you both made REALLY good points, and I feel a whole lot better. St. John's, my regular parish, has never made me feel unwelcomed, but these classes were really something else (hosted by the Archdiocese of Washington). They very much bombarded us with expectations, 'rules', etc... I really like what you both said, and it makes me feel much better about things.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by SxyPrincess
I'm Catholic :rolleyes: but I don't...well...practice the religion. I see them as hypocritical gold diggers. :biggrin:

Awe, come on sxy, don't you just love the churchercise? :bubble:

(rise, kneel, sit, rise, kneel, sit)
sport004.gif
sport004.gif
sport004.gif
sport004.gif

SxyPrincess

Originally posted by justhangn
Awe, come on sxy, don't you just love the churchercise? :bubble:

NO! I work for the Catholic Church and I get to see first-hand everyday just how corrupt they are. :rolleyes:

J

justhangn

NO! I work for the Catholic Church and I get to see first-hand everyday just how corrupt they are. :rolleyes:

:eek: They're corrupt?? :eek:

blueeyes76

(rise, kneel, sit, rise, kneel, sit)

Lol. My boyfriend is Baptist, he was so confused when we went to Catholic Mass before my Goddaughter's Christening. Poor guy didn't know what to do.

I was baptized Catholic, I've never attended church regularly. My father grew up in a strict Catholic home and I guess he didn't want to force religion on us the way it was forced on him. I feel like I'm a good person and I do believe in God. I think that's all that really matters. JMO.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by kwillia
I was born/baptized Catholic. We were really faithful at attending church until we were all hit pretty hard with the flu one winter. We missed several weeks of church in a row. After several weeks of not being able to attend, we received a letter from the church. It wasn't a "how are you...where ya been" letter. It was a "hey noticed you haven't been making your offerings so here are some envelopes to make it convienient for you to mail them in" letter. :ohwell: Needless to say.... my Mom "saw the light". Don't recall much of the church after that.

Years ago, my wife and I received a similar e-mail from the Unitarian church we had been attending. It started out with "We miss you" language and then reminded us that it cost the church money to keep us on their newsletter subscription rolls.

For our response, my wife came up with a great line (which was embarrassing, since I'm the one who earns his living as a writer). She wrote that if our wallets could drive themselves to the church, they would probably be more welcome at the services.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by Tonio
She wrote that if our wallets could drive themselves to the church, they would probably be more welcome at the services.

:dude: Your wife rocks!!! That's a great story!

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
That's unfortunate...

Originally posted by Tonio
Years ago, my wife and I received a similar e-mail from the Unitarian church we had been attending. It started out with "We miss you" language and then reminded us that it cost the church money to keep us on their newsletter subscription rolls.
:cool: I attend church in Lusby at St. Pauls UMC, and have yet to recieve a notice like the ones mentioned here. I've been absent to go skiing or take trip, but what I got in the mailbox was "We missed you, hope everything is well", then at the bottom of the 3 X 5 card it said something to the effect "If you need to speak with one of our Pastors, please call at ###-###-####, at anytime"
Maybe that's one of the difference between the Catholic Church and the Methodist Church. Also, I really like our Pastors' sermons, because as many times as he delivers the message, he tries to lay out a historical element to it, frequently pointing to one of the Disciples, and what they were preaching to the masses back then,
and how that message applies to us in today's terms. It gives you some perspective on the idea, then and now.
Laureng, if you are speaking to the theories, lifestyle and rules that are laid out in Corinthians I & II, and Galatians, practically all of St Pauls' other letters, those are indeed hard to follow. Many of us struggle mightily with them; you do the best you can as a human being, and follow God the best you can as well.

:smile: penn

J

justhangn

No - I was just teasin. :biggrin:

Shew, good thing, I almost stopped donating to save the people down the street, feed the children, pay for the priest legal bills, help the poor, feed the needy, cloth the homeless....ect.ect...ect :biggrin:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Needy?.....

Shew, good thing, I almost stopped donating to save the people down the street, feed the children, pay for the priest legal bills, help the poor, feed the needy, cloth the homeless....ect.ect...ect :biggrin:
:biggrin: Hey, JH, you got $24.00 I could borrow for a case of Molson Golden?

:cheers: penn

J

justhangn

Re: Needy?.....

Originally posted by penncam
:biggrin: Hey, JH, you got $24.00 I could borrow for a case of Molson Golden?

:cheers: penn

See, now Mr. Ed wants me to fund the murder of millions of brain cells too.......it just never ends!!!!! :lol:

demsformd

I completely believe the doctrine and beliefs of the Catholic Church but I hate the man-made parts of the institution and the "secularization" of the Church. I do not truly see the pope and bishops as infallible nor do I look to them for moral advice (after all, these are the same guys that defended sick sick priests that prey on little boys and girls). Lauren, my daugher recently went through the marriage preparation class as well and had much the same reaction to it as you did. I can't believe that the Church would require such tedious rules, especially rules about "Catholics in good standing." What the hell is that? I advise you to stick in there because all churchs have their own flaws and corruption. You make your own faith and your own decisions, regardless of what a man-made Church told you to do.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Wow, I can't imagine getting an "I miss you" notice from the church. I really don't think they pay much attention to who and who doesn't go, since St. John's is a pretty large parish. When we move to Prince Frederick, though, and look for a new church maybe we'll end up somewhere smaller. I'm having my reception at Immaculate Heart of Mary Church Hall and they have a 'Welcome New Members' bulletin board where they post your family's picture and name, which I think is pretty darn neat!!!

I really look forward to not just 'going' to church at a new parish, but becoming involved in it, and I just hope they don't try to shove the :bs: down our throats too hard - or else we won't be able to stand it, lol!

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by demsformd
I can't believe that the Church would require such tedious rules, especially rules about "Catholics in good standing." What the hell is that?

I agree, they seriously made us feel like we were bad people or going straight to he// in a handbasket if we didn't practic natural family planning :barf: and other such RULES. Like ya'll said, though, it's all about following God...being a good person...having morals...etc... and not so much about following rules. When attending St. John's I've never felt these INSANE rules were shoved down my throat in any way, but at this class hosted by the Archdiocese it was totally shoved.

K

Kimmy

I got married at St. John's but we didn't have to go through those classes. Well let me take that back. We had to go to I think 2 classes. But is was nothing that you are talking about.
My husband is not even Catholic and he was aloud to get married in a catholic church. We agreed on our kids to recieve there sacraments in a Catholic church.
I know a St. John's you have to go through all this stuff to have the kids Baptized to. And if the priest doesn't think that the people that were choosen are not good enough meaning doesn't not meet the Catholic religion than you have to pick someone else. At our parish we didn't have to go through that.
But we don't go to church. We need to find a different church. We went as a rule last year but I don't soooo sick and tired of hearing donate money to this and that. Makes me so mad that the catholic religion has come down to this.
I have heard good things about Immaculate Heart of Mary. Only problem is it is a ways to travel every Sunday. Does anyone attend FAW? How is that church?