Sleep Disorders...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...OK.

For those of you waiting breathlessly for the next chapter of my apnea travails, here we go.

I'll wait until the laughter passes.

OK. Last night was CPAP night which stands for Constant Positive Air Thingy That Allows You To Sleep Very, Very Well.

First off, it makes you feel like an old, sick man to have to put this thing on.

Second, you sleep like a baby, so, make your choice; Vanity or improved health.

Guys, if your old lady is telling you you sleep like ####, snoring, gasping and so forth, just GO GET IT CHECKED OUT.

This was one night and I already feel better. Way better. I woke up clear headed, rested, truly rested, way less AM 'git er moving' fumbling about and an incredibly clean mouth. I'm used to morning goop and slime, spit, mouthwash, blech.

My tech showed me all my data for the night and he explained everything very well. Good stuff. It all made sense except the part about why my ass was sore. He didn't have time for that as he suddenly remembered he had something really important to do. Anyway, I slept great and, as you can see, I type better.

So, all kidding aside, as they say, just do it. If not for yourself, for her.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Larry Gude said:
...My tech showed me all my data for the night and he explained everything very well. Good stuff. It all made sense except the part about why my ass was sore. He didn't have time for that as he suddenly remembered he had something really important to do.
Sounds like he might have showed you something while you were sleeping :killingme

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's humbling...

Vince said:
I've got to do the sleep study. I sleep like crap and I know it's apnea.

...and awkward and no fun going through and it will make you feel old and a bit embarrassed and it will be over in two nights, the study and then CPAP night, and you'll live happily ever after.

Git 'er done.

LMack1

not just for men

They think my 16 year old daughter has it. She is really having trouble but we can't get in till the 16th to see the doctor.

Vince

Larry Gude said:
...and awkward and no fun going through and it will make you feel old and a bit embarrassed and it will be over in two nights, the study and then CPAP night, and you'll live happily ever after.

Git 'er done.
I did the sleep study once and I couldn't sleep with all their wires on me. Had 3 surgeries on nose and another on my throat. No help. I breath OK during the day, but at night..... :banghead:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Find a way...

Vince said:
I did the sleep study once and I couldn't sleep with all their wires on me. Had 3 surgeries on nose and another on my throat. No help. I breath OK during the day, but at night..... :banghead:

...because the man told me you do NOT recover, your blood/oxy levels, during the day. So, it's accumulative and you gotta break the cycle.

LMack1

She is already starting to lose parts of her memory and falls asleep in school all the time. She is scared about what to expect though.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I've had bad snoring for years, and I can't take a daytime nap without waking up with a headache and overall body weakness. According to my wife, my snoring is worst when I lay on my right side. My doctor prescribed me Nasacort at bedtime, a nasal spray that is supposed to shrink adenoids. It works, even though I thought my adenoids were taken out with my tonsils almost 30 years ago.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
The only negative I've heard about the CPAP is you have to sleep on your back for it to work.

My dad had one and it was fine because he's a back sleeper.

A friend had to use one and she had to retrain her sleep posture (normally a side or tummy sleeper) because the alarms went off if she didn't stay on her back. On the positive side, once she was able to sleep on her back a number of health problems disappeared and she lost a lost of weight.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Larry, I feel your pain (well, kinda).

My hubby had the same problem you did about 4 years ago. He didn't opt for the CPAP due to the fact that he's in the military and there would be a high probability he would get discharged b/c they wouldn't be able to deploy him. Anywho, he had the corrective surgery. He was out of commission for about 2 weeks and he said it was the most painful thing he's ever been through. It worked for about a year or so and now he's back to snoring, etc. Mind you it's not as bad, but the problem still exists.

Pete

Repete
This CRAP machine plays right into you and DJ's freaky role playing night life. I can see it now, you with your mask on her yelling "Oh Maverick, ENGAGE!, ENGAGE!" Kenny Loggins "Danger Zone" playing softley in the background.

Last edited:
Pete said:
This CRAP machine plays right into you and DJ's freaky role playing night life. I can see it now, you with your mask on her yelling "Oh Maverick, ENGAGE!, ENGAGE!"
OMG... I've been trying to come up with a nice way of asking how this contraption affects the other half, but dayum if you didn't bring it on home in your own Petey fashion...:killingme

Candle Lover

Congratulations, Larry!

My husband has been using a CPAP machine since 1997 and it is wonderful. The doctor in Georgetown had told us that with all the times he would stop breathing during the night, eventually (probably within 10 years) he would have no longer been alive.

There are several different types of masks. He is able to sleep on his back or his side. He doesn't fall asleep throughout the day anymore. He definitely has a lot more energy. And everyone in the house has been able to sleep since we're not hearing all that horrible snoring.

Sleep apnea should never be ignored. The sleep study wasn't difficult for him. Having your health back is what's important.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You are a SICK man...

Pete said:
This CRAP machine plays right into you and DJ's freaky role playing night life. I can see it now, you with your mask on her yelling "Oh Maverick, ENGAGE!, ENGAGE!" Kenny Loggins "Danger Zone" playing softley in the background.

note to self: Learn to play "Whole lotta shakin' goin' on..."

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Good point BUT...

bresamil said:
The only negative I've heard about the CPAP is you have to sleep on your back for it to work.

A friend had to use one and she had to retrain her sleep posture (normally a side or tummy sleeper) because the alarms went off if she didn't stay on her back. On the positive side, once she was able to sleep on her back a number of health problems disappeared and she lost a lost of weight.

...here's the thing from my experience (so far).

I toss and turn and roll all over so, when I got hooked up I was like 'this is going to SO suck'.

Well, the apnea is what makes me so restless. I was asleep in under a minute and slept with my mouth closed and that stupid Vader mask on, effortlessly for 4 hours until the dryness woke me up. I'm normally up every 2 hours or so. Then, they hooked up the humidifer and I was out cold until wake time, dead still.

Good sleep is still sleep. Still sleep makes the loss of mobility irrelevent.

We'll see in time if that holds true.

MMDad

Lem Putt
bresamil said:

My wife uses one and can sleep in almost any position.

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
I opted out of the C-pap machine. I had my dentist make me a special mouth piece that forces my airway open better and lets me breath through my nose like your supposed to. I even went back after having it made to have another sleep study done and it works wonderfully.

V

Vixen

bresamil said:
she lost a lost of weight.

You were not planning on running for office? :huggy:

Larry,

I am glad you are getting this problem under control. :yay: