Baptism

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Does anyone know of a church where you don’t have to be a member and can still have a child baptized at? Looking for a Christian church doesn’t really matter what denomination (I’m non-denominational). Most Lutheran, Prespetyrian (sp?) and Methodist churches I’ve called require you to be a member of the church. I’ll gladly pay for the baptism but don’t want to be obligated to join a church.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
That's a good question. My daughter was baptized at St. John's and we are not members, but were married there.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Can I ask? If you don't want to go to church, why bother having the baby baptized? That sounds more smarta$$ than I mean it to but I'm just curious.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Can I ask? If you don't want to go to church, why bother having the baby baptized? That sounds more smarta$$ than I mean it to but I'm just curious.

Personally I believe in having a personal relationship with God. I don't feel the need to attend a church and be told what to believe in and how to behave. Due to my faith and my relationship with God I'd like to have my son baptized. I sure can't do it myself, lol. So I'm looking more for someone then somewhere to have it done. If I could find a minister or reverand or such to do it outside on a nice spring day that would be ideal. But since I have yet to even find one who will do it in a church unless I'm a member, I'm taking what I can get.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I was going to ask the same question as Vrai, but Pixie answered it perfectly.

Pixie if you can't find someone to do it, go and do it yourself. Take Noah down to the beach (with friends and family) and dunk him "in the Lord's name." God said "If two or more are gathered in my name, then I will also be there."

It's not exactly traditional and you won't get a certificate or a candle from the church. But it will be the same if you truly believe it in your heart. Later on, it's up to your son to decide whether he will follow Christ's teachings, and having been or not been baptized in a church will not make a difference in how he lives his life.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Pixie,

I might be wrong, but I thought that the baptism was the rite of initiation into the faith that you (or in this case, your child) will follow. If you do not plan on becoming a member of a specific faith what is the point?

Doc

You could always stop by the Universal Life Church, and with a few quick clicks of the mouse become a legally ordained minister, and then perform the wet deed yourself. Note the additional benefits: you can now perform marriages, park in "Clergy Only" spaces, etc.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by Ken King
Pixie,

I might be wrong, but I thought that the baptism was the rite of initiation into the faith that you (or in this case, your child) will follow. If you do not plan on becoming a member of a specific faith what is the point?

I don't think so Ken. At least that's not what I've been taught. Baptism is the washing away of sins. I have plenty of faith. I consider myself a Christian I just don't believe I should be required to chose a specific denomonation. I'll raise my son as a Christian to and if I ever find a non denominational church I'm sure I'll start attending once in a while. I go to church now on occasion; I just haven't found one I liked enough to go back to more then a couple times.

yakky doodle

Originally posted by Doc
You could always stop by the Universal Life Church, and with a few quick clicks of the mouse become a legally ordained minister, and then perform the wet deed yourself. Note the additional benefits: you can now perform marriages, park in "Clergy Only" spaces, etc.

well gee! why didn't you offer this up when JenEisen was looking for someone to marry her at her wedding! :biggrin:

hmm, I think Tater might have a part-time gig to look into now! :really:

sorry to step :offtopic: pixie ... back on now :wink:

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by Sharon
I was going to ask the same question as Vrai, but Pixie answered it perfectly.

Pixie if you can't find someone to do it, go and do it yourself. Take Noah down to the beach (with friends and family) and dunk him "in the Lord's name." God said "If two or more are gathered in my name, then I will also be there."

It's not exactly traditional and you won't get a certificate or a candle from the church. But it will be the same if you truly believe it in your heart. Later on, it's up to your son to decide whether he will follow Christ's teachings, and having been or not been baptized in a church will not make a difference in how he lives his life.

What a perfect answer. I feel the same way as pixie, so I can totally relate to what she is saying. I home teach the bible to my children and read to them out of a children's bible now, but my oldest son wants to be a member of a church. I have been attending a church with him for the past few months.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hessian

Part of your dilemma rests with your understanding of baptism...
if you beleive in the scripture as being accurate and authentic..then Baptism has NOTHING to do with washing away sins...(ie Jesus was baptized)

If you generally ignore scripture and follow the teachings of the orthodox church...children can get baptized and then purgatory can be avoided...or the soul will be saved until the "age of accountability"....None of this is in scripture (Papal declarations...councils)

Pastors from evangelical denominations should hold to their teachings: baptism does NOT assure salvation, church membership, or whatever.
IT (child baptism)DOES create a compact between the members and the family to help raise that child responsibly in a Christian environment.
(Presbyterian...Methodist...Anglican)
Adult baptism is the demonstration of a life dedicated to Jesus Christ and faith in His unmerited grace for salvation.(Baptist, Assembly of God, Church of God, Nazarene...)

We still see a growing trend to "Do your own thing and its all OK with God"
Wrong...Scripture never says"Try doing it any way you want and you'll do fine" ....Read how specific God was with instructions to Israel in the pentateuch! Any time the Israelites tried to do their own thing....somebody got swallowed in the ground, burned up, or defeated by an enemy....so why does this generation insist on "doing it my way is fine with God?"

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Originally posted by yakky doodle
well gee! why didn't you offer this up when JenEisen was looking for someone to marry her at her wedding! :biggrin:

hmm, I think Tater might have a part-time gig to look into now! :really:

sorry to step :offtopic: pixie ... back on now :wink:

Yeah really! I did find someone though so its ok.