OK...I've had enough..

T

tikipirate

Since you are a bartender, I will go out on a limb and say you like to drink beer. Just stop drinking beer, move to mixed drinks with diet sodas, and you will probably lose those 30 pounds in 6 months just by doing that.

If that's not the case, there is only one way to do it for sure... pure Adkins Diet. Treat carbs like they are your mortal enemy. You can eat all the protein, fat, or low-carb veggies you want on that diet. You can not only eat like a pig, you can eat the whole pig. When I went on Adkins, I ate more than I've ever eaten in my life, and lost 2 pounds/day. At my physical, my doctor congratulated me on how my cholesterol figures had improved. (His exact words were, "You just lowered your risk of heart attack by 8 times.")

But you have to be strict. It's like the 'fire triangle'. You need fuel, an ignition source, and oxygen to sustain a fire. Consider carbs the oxygen. You can eat an enormous Caesar salad topped with a pound of steak and still be losing weight. But if you eat a crouton, your ass will explode like the scene from 'Backdraft'.

Eating only eggs, meat, cheese, and low-carb veggies does get boring if you don't know how to cook. (I lived on steak Dianne, Chateaubriand, cream soups and chowders, curries, chocolate souffles and mousses. Get serious and I will cook you a kick-ass Moussaka that you can eat all day long.) But you only have to do it for a month to lose the 30 pounds, then adjust your carb intake to always be the weight you want. The days of 10 beers a night are long gone, though. As are, sadly, the days of 10 mai-tais a night.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Hey Tiki, did you notice a loss of energy during prolonged activity while you wee on the Atkins diet? Everyone I've known that has tried that diet lost weight but also lost the "ooomph" for long lasting activities.

beerwench, it sounds like your biggest hurdle is going to be keeping interested. Do you have any friends you can get to join you in this crusade? A little support goes a long ways. :) To plan FUN things to do for exercise to keep the enthusiasm levels high or alternatively, work on a bike/treadmill in front of a television :lmao: Sounds funny but it's effective.

MargeInCharge

fttrsbeerwench said:
Six months... 30 pounds..
Think I can do it?:confused:

I think so, definitely. That's only 5 lbs per month. What I've found helpful is keeping a food diary, writing everything down that you eat and keeping calories in the 1200-1500 per day range. It's a pain weighing and measuring everything at first, but then you really do get used to it. I guess the main thing for me is to feel "organized" about it. I've been doing this since late Oct and have lost 21 lbs so far. I wish I could say I've been exercising as well, but I haven't been disciplined enough to do that yet. So anyway, yeah, you can do it, definitely!

camily

Peace
fttrsbeerwench said:
I've gained ten pounds a year for the last three years.:banghead:

After I had the kids, the five surgeries and the depression which ended in the loss of 220 pounds of useless boyfriend, I find my self at a point where I am as big as I was at 9 months pregnant!!!:barf:
:yikes:
I feel like I just woke up this fat!! WTH?? :bawl:
My mom thinks I may have the same thyroid condition she has...But that's still no excuse ..
I want to lose 30 pounds by the end of this summer.. That's it.. NO MORE B.S.
The BF says(he is all about the weight lifting/work out thing), " No problem babe", but I'm not a creature of habit nor am I good with discipline.

I need some help. I am not happy with this crap. I'm not taking any stinking pills or paying some guy to hack off my butt.

Maybe we should have a forum weight loss group thingy?
I think there is an interest here. We could support, help, share recipes. What do you guys think? Anyone interested?
Maybe we could meet once a week for a walk when it gets warmer or someting like that.

mainman

Set Trippin
fttrsbeerwench said:

After I had the kids, the five surgeries and the depression which ended in the loss of 220 pounds of useless boyfriend, I find my self at a point where I am as big as I was at 9 months pregnant!!!:barf:
:yikes:
I feel like I just woke up this fat!! WTH?? :bawl:
My mom thinks I may have the same thyroid condition she has...But that's still no excuse ..
I want to lose 30 pounds by the end of this summer.. That's it.. NO MORE B.S.
The BF says(he is all about the weight lifting/work out thing), " No problem babe", but I'm not a creature of habit nor am I good with discipline.

I need some help. I am not happy with this crap. I'm not taking any stinking pills or paying some guy to hack off my butt.

So is this for you or him? And he hooked up with you just the way you look now, so what's the issue?

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
fttrsbeerwench said:

Alright, girlie, I don't usually post much personal experience where this is concerned, but, Tikipirate is right. Atkins, when followed appropriately, is truly, IMO, the best way to lose unwanted weight and get your body working the way it is supposed to. I eat quite a bit, but avoid simple sugars as a general rule and use it, actually, to keep my blood sugar in check. I tend to lean towards hypoglygemia, which in the dietary world, should be dieted like a diabetic basically (roughly).

Again, as Tiki stated, you will have to like to cook, or learn how to... or at least learn how to order creatively. Also, kiss your beer goodbye - BUT - don't plan on making shots and mixed drinks your new best friend, because the more you drink, the more you'll feel like sh!t in the morning, and the more likely you are to cheat. We all know that.

I tend, now, to have a lot of protein (steaks :yum:, bacon :yum:, poultry and such), leafy greens and just about all veggies, nuts, fruit, cream, cheese, yogurts, peanut butter and such.... and use low sugar marinades and sauteed garlic and such to rev things up.... For convenient lunches, there is always tuna salad, chicken salad (many low carb breads out there) and so on....

Go online and check it out then see if you're interested... There are also other options as all will point out. Exercising in conjunction is always the key - I just never seem to stay committed...

Hope this helps! :yay:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
fttrsbeerwench said:
Grrr Pete :mad:

And to think, at one time, you were once the light of my forum life...
He was referring to Tae Kwon Do. Many people use martial arts to lose weight and get fit. :shrug:

Pete

Repete
bresamil said:
He was referring to Tae Kwon Do. Many people use martial arts to lose weight and get fit. :shrug:
:yeahthat: and when you are done you can kick peoples ass quickly and easily :yay: :lmao:

K

Katie

I won't tell you which diet to do, but you need to make it a lifestyle change. Some things work better for some people than others. I can't do Atkins because I end up with the energy of a slug.

I eat fruits, vegatable, whole grains, lean protein and little processed sugar. Since doing that change from what I was doing, I lost an additional 30 lbs. I have just 30 lbs left to get to my own personal goal weight, but only 6 lb to what my dr. wanted me to be.

I also exercise every day. I run 3.5 miles every other night, and do a hour long spin class. If I am not at the gym I am either on my bike, or doing a workout tape at home.

Start just keeping a food diary and seeing what exactly you are eating or drinking. Remember drinking sugary sodas and fruit juice does count.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Katie said:
I won't tell you which diet to do, but you need to make it a lifestyle change. Some things work better for some people than others. I can't do Atkins because I end up with the energy of a slug.

I eat fruits, vegatable, whole grains, lean protein and little processed sugar. Since doing that change from what I was doing, I lost an additional 30 lbs. I have just 30 lbs left to get to my own personal goal weight, but only 6 lb to what my dr. wanted me to be.

I also exercise every day. I run 3.5 miles every other night, and do a hour long spin class. If I am not at the gym I am either on my bike, or doing a workout tape at home.

Start just keeping a food diary and seeing what exactly you are eating or drinking. Remember drinking sugary sodas and fruit juice does count.
Most people carry Atkins too far, if you ask me... I incorporate a ton of natural sugars (fruits and veggies) into my daily intake.

Weezy

Exxcelllllenttt
Good luck beerwench :yay: , sure you can do it. About the no carb diet, everyone I know that has gone on it has lost alot of weight on that, however they all have also gained all of their weight plus more back. I can relate to not being a creature of habit or discipline, what works for me though is me and my friend go on walks, it doesn't feel like exercise, its fun, and it keeps the weight off, that works for me but everyone is different.

Anyways Good luck to you which ever way you go about it.

K

Katie

virgovictoria said:
Most people carry Atkins too far, if you ask me... I incorporate a ton of natural sugars (fruits and veggies) into my daily intake.

Yeah they do, but I know how my body works. I do weight watchers and that works for me.

Like I said, I am not going to tell her what to do for a diet, because everyone is different, and people's bodies are different.

fttrsbeerwench

mainman said:
So is this for you or him? And he hooked up with you just the way you look now, so what's the issue?
This has very little to do with him. Yeah he has like 1% body fat and pecs bigger than most women's boobs. Apparently he digs chubby chicks.:confused:

I've not even talked to him about it.

I just know that when I had to buy two new pair of "fat jeans", something was wrong.

My thing is flexibility, I used to do yoga and could tie myself in to a good knot. Those days are gone now, and I get tired at work. I blame it on the fat more than just getting old.
My mom seems to think I have the same thyroid problem she has, I've show the symptoms, but the diagnosis came back( a few years ago) negative.:shrug:

I'm also hypoglycemic and a little anemic, and with the migraines I have, I need to eat regularly.

Taking pills is out of the question, I hate taking anything and don't trust doctors opinions. I'm not "lardy" enough to get gastric bypass, nor would I want that.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Fttrs, do you know of anyone else that maybe wants to lose weight too, that you could team up with? I find it's easier to keep a long term goal if you have someone kicking you in the ass to stick with it, and vice versa.