A million little pieces

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Did anyone see what Oprah did to this guy James Frey on her show yeasterday. I think she more or less ruined his career. All the so called lies in his book are coming out. I think his only fault was not putting a disclaimer in his book. His book appartantly was not all truth but "based on a true story". It was a great book anyway. Very good read. I think its sad what she did to him. Anyone elses thought on this?

baileydog said:
I think its sad what she did to him. Anyone elses thought on this?
What she did to him... get a grip... he did it to himself. He lied. He got caught. He placed his own career on the line what he knowingly misrepresented his book. He ruined his own career.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
I do not believe that. He wrote a book. So what if it wasnt total truth. We all rearrange details. To publicly humiliate him like she did is wrong. She acted like he dupped her on purpose.

baileydog said:
I do not believe that. He wrote a book. So what if it wasnt total truth. We all rearrange details. To publicly humiliate him like she did is wrong. She acted like he dupped her on purpose.
He did dup her on purpose. He dupped everyone on purpose because he believed that if he published his stories as truth rather than what they really are which is fiction based on true bits and pieces, he would have higher sales. He misrepresented his work. Baileydog, the problem here is that he knowingly lied so that he could get a non-fiction categorization. That is wrong and cannot be justified.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Kwilla, did you read the book? Did you enjoy it? So whats the problem. I think if millions of people had such a good time reading it, it should not make a difference. A good book is still a good book even if its not true.

baileydog said:
A good book is still a good book even if its not true.
Exactly, so he should have been honest and labeled it as embellishment based on a little bit of truth from the get go. What he did was wrong. If it was no big deal, then you wouldn't be hearing about it.

baileydog said:
So what if it wasnt total truth. We all rearrange details.

The point is..Don't act like it's the total truth if it's not. There was no rearrangement of details. There was embellishment of details. Big difference.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I thought I read awhile back that Oprah has chosen this book for her book club before he revealed that it was not a true story, which also affected her validity in publicizing it. Maybe the interview was a payback. :shrug:

MMDad

Lem Putt
kwillia said:
What she did to him... get a grip... he did it to himself. He lied. He got caught. He placed his own career on the line what he knowingly misrepresented his book. He ruined his own career.
:yay: :yeahthat: He promoted the book as non-fiction. He lied, so he deserves to be discredited. If the book were "based on a true story" or fiction, there would be no issue.

It's like Farenheit 911. It is advertised as a documentary, but there is information that is portrayed as fact, but has been disproven. If you want to call it a dramatization, or social commentary, or fiction, fine, but don't pretend that it's a documentary.

Tina2001aniT

kwillia said:
Ok, so dumb question here, I saw the excerpts from Oprah on the news last night and this morning, and don't see anything wrong with the interview, but my big dumb question is

WHO IS HE??? Other than writing that book, should I know who he is????

nomoney

I haven't read million little pieces yet - but I am reading his other book "My Friend Leonard" right now. Half the stuff she discredited him over on the show; I'm pretty sure are in the book I'm reading right now - which I'm pretty sure is a fiction. Anyone know which one he wrote first?

Mikeinsmd

baileydog said:
Do you even listen to the news??? :smack: The guy LIED and ADMITTED he lied!!!

What part are you having trouble with??

You're one of those left wing loonies who believe it's ok to lie. :duh:

Go see the thread about the lil brat who lied to her father and tell me lying is ok. :buttkick:

nomoney

baileydog said:
Did anyone see what Oprah did to this guy James Frey on her show yeasterday. I think she more or less ruined his career. All the so called lies in his book are coming out. I think his only fault was not putting a disclaimer in his book. His book appartantly was not all truth but "based on a true story". It was a great book anyway. Very good read. I think its sad what she did to him. Anyone elses thought on this?
besides I doubt it will hurt his career, he sold more copies then he normally would have by now anyways with the whole oprah book club crap.....and people love a scandal....so I guarantee it's sold out as we speak. (Especially the copies with the Oprah seal of approval) :yay:

donbarzini

bresamil said:
I thought I read awhile back that Oprah has chosen this book for her book club before he revealed that it was not a true story, which also affected her validity in publicizing it. Maybe the interview was a payback. :shrug:

Not just the recommendation. The author was interviewed on Larry King once the"embellishments" were brought to light. She had the temerity at the time to call in to attempt and defend him by saying the book was "truthful at its core.". Her website got flamed big time for it, so she started backpedalling verrrrrrrrry quickly.

sunny71

nomoney said:
I haven't read million little pieces yet - but I am reading his other book "My Friend Leonard" right now. Half the stuff she discredited him over on the show; I'm pretty sure are in the book I'm reading right now - which I'm pretty sure is a fiction. Anyone know which one he wrote first?

He wrote a million little pieces first.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Lying is not ok, but we all do it. Doesnt make it right. But I still say his only crime is not making a disclaimer

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
baileydog said:
Kwilla, did you read the book? Did you enjoy it? So whats the problem. I think if millions of people had such a good time reading it, it should not make a difference. A good book is still a good book even if its not true.

Its no different than a Michael Moore(on) book or movie. they are touted as Documentaries to expose the truth, but are in reality just crafty editing (Moorewatch or BowlingforTruth (<--Linky's) )

This chump fooled alot of people into thinking this was a Non-Fiction Memoir of his life, when in reality many key sections of his book, documents and interviews show, were wholly fabricated or wildly embellished details of his purported criminal career, jail terms, and status as an outlaw "wanted in three states." (<--Linky)

This is no Different than Jason Blair (<--Linky) a fraud is still a fraud.

Last edited: