photography magazines

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good photography magazine geared toward amateurs who want to improve their skills. Something with articles explaining camera technology, and how to adjust it to get the effects you want.

I plan on purchasing a subscription for someone as a gift. I've seen a few online but don't know what's good and what's not.

TIA :yay:

Jameo

What?!
I received a few issues of Outdoor Photographer Pretty informative magazine with info about different cameras and accessories. Awesome pictures in it. But it's not really geared towards amateurs. But someone with a strong interest in photography could learn a thing or two from it :shrug:

Jameo

What?!
Better yet Sleuth, forget the subscription and buy them one of them "Digital Photography for Dummies" books (cheapest place online to get them is thru Amazon) They are AWESOME for someone who wants to learn and what them fancy smancy things like aperture, shutter speed, white balance and all that good stuff is.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Jameo said:
Better yet Sleuth, forget the subscription and buy them one of them "Digital Photography for Dummies" books (cheapest place online to get them is thru Amazon) They are AWESOME for someone who wants to learn and what them fancy smancy things like aperture, shutter speed, white balance and all that good stuff is.
:lmao:

I would Jameo, but this person might get a little insulted.
A better option would be "A beginner's guide to..." or something like that.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
sleuth said:

Touchy individual. :lol: I love the "For Dummies" series because I simply don't have the time to read a difficult "instruction" book, then try to figure out what it means, I have too much going on for that. "For Dummies" gives you awesome information in an easy to understand format. I bought Dustin "Texas Hold'em for Dummies" for Christmas and he wasn't offended. :lmao:

Jameo

What?!
sleuth said:

Search Amazon for other photography books. I found several good books when I bought my Photography for Dummies books. I found a very detailed user's guide for my camera. Which is AWESOME!!!

ylexot

Super Genius
sleuth said:

I'm sure there's an "Idiot's Guide to Photography"... :shrug:

I get Popular Photography and am happy with it.

nyte-angel82

sleuth said:

I'd suggest a subscription to "Digital Camera Magazine" or "Aperture" if he/she is into that format.