Is this a weird practice for a Dentist?

Geek

I am going to a new dentist, because I was injured by my last dentist, and his office and equipment were scary. The new dentist wants to be paid up front. They agreed to take 1/2 before and take the last 1/2 after the appointment. Is this a regular practice? I have never had to pay up front for the work before it was done. But I am having lots of expensive work done, and in the past it was just cleanings and fillings. TIA :confused:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Geek said:
I am going to a new dentist, because I was injured by my last dentist, and his office and equipment were scary. The new dentist wants to be paid up front. They agreed to take 1/2 and take the last 1/2 after the appointment. Is this a regular practice? I have never had to pay up front for the work before it was done. But I am having lots of expensive work done, and in the past it was just cleanings and fillings. TIA :confused:

Not odd if you're having cosmetic or reconstructive work done that is not covered by your insurance.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Geek said:
I am going to a new dentist, because I was injured by my last dentist, and his office and equipment were scary. The new dentist wants to be paid up front. They agreed to take 1/2 before and take the last 1/2 after the appointment. Is this a regular practice? I have never had to pay up front for the work before it was done. But I am having lots of expensive work done, and in the past it was just cleanings and fillings. TIA :confused:

You must be dealing with my ex-wife at the counter. Cause she is a real biatch behind the counter and a bulldog when it comes to collecting fees.

Jameo

What?!
My dentist injured me too. 1/2 my tongue was numb for 3-4 months (He hit my lingual nerve when giving me a shot of novocaine) :drool:

Anyways, I never heard of that but have only been to 1 dentist in my life. :ohwell:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Geek said:
I am going to a new dentist, because I was injured by my last dentist, and his office and equipment were scary.
There weren't any sex swings, chains, cuffs, or whips among his equipment, were there? :really:

Geek

Jameo said:
My dentist injured me too. 1/2 my tongue was numb for 3-4 months (He hit my lingual nerve when giving me a shot of novocaine) :drool:

Anyways, I never heard of that but have only been to 1 dentist in my life. :ohwell:

TMJ, after 1:45 minute appointment cracked my jaw open and now I have to be really careful

Geek

sleuth said:
There weren't any sex swings, chains, cuffs, or whips among his equipment, were there? :really:

I wish it was that kind of scary. He dragged this 45 year old cauterizing machine out of a dusty closet and proceeded to electrocute me. Thank God I went back for the TMJ as well. :smack: I am not bright.

morganj614

Jameo said:

But you have jacked up nerve endings :lol: I am so happy you don't wear a bib anymore :roflmao:

Some dentists have payment plans, depending on your situation (or who you know)...lol

Geek

Vince said:
:yikes: Holy sh!t!! Hope you've got good dental insurance.

I have got good insurance, but it is still going to be very expensive. What can I do? I take really good care of my teeth but they are just scary. I may have to get veneers down the line and none of that is covered either. When I handed the bill to my husband he had to sit down for a while :faint: I wish I could get put under get my teeth, pap smear, lipo and a boob lift all at once :yay:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Geek said:
I have got good insurance, but it is still going to be very expensive. What can I do? I take really good care of my teeth but they are just scary. I may have to get veneers down the line and none of that is covered either. When I handed the bill to my husband he had to sit down for a while :faint: I wish I could get put under get my teeth, pap smear, lipo and a boob lift all at once :yay:

Which teeth are you having crowned?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Geek said:
Did it take long to chew again, did they feel any different? TIA

I had a little more done than just the crowns. My teeth were shoved into my jawbone and shattered it. It took a year for the jaw to heal, then I had to have root canals done, then the crowns. Yes, it felt different. Still does. I don't have the same bite power as I once had, but I've adjusted. Not a big deal, really.

Geek

Wow, I will pipe down my whining, I can't imagine what getting all that work was like. Root canals are harsh. The noise freaks me out. I am going to take a muscle relaxer and he said I could get the laughing gas. I just want to keep my teeth at this point.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Geek said:
Wow, I will pipe down my whining, I can't imagine what getting all that work was like. Root canals are harsh. The noise freaks me out. I am going to take a muscle relaxer and he said I could get the laughing gas. I just want to keep my teeth at this point.

It wasn't as bad as it sounds. The worst part was the accident. After that, it was just a matter of time, healing and getting the root canals out of the way so I could get the crowns. Root canals don't bother me. Don't get me wrong, the accident caused some agonizing pain initially, not to mention memory loss, but everything is pretty much back to normal...except the memory part.

Geek

elaine said:
It wasn't as bad as it sounds. The worst part was the accident. After that, it was just a matter of time, healing and getting the root canals out of the way so I could get the crowns. Root canals don't bother me. Don't get me wrong, the accident caused some agonizing pain initially, not to mention memory loss, but everything is pretty much back to normal...except the memory part.

:huggy: It sounds like a horrible accident, I am glad your pain is over :flowers: