Favorite lesser known films ---

Frank

Chairman of the Board
This is a request, and I hope I get a lot of input. I've seen tons of movies, and every rare once in a while, someone suggests a little known gem that I totally enjoy, that makes me think, how on earth did I miss this movie? "Memento" would be a more popular movie of this kind.

However, the other day I rented "The Big Kahuna", which features just three actors - two of them, among my favorites, Danny DeVito and Kevin Spacey. It's not a movie for everyone, but it was very meaningful and I loved it.

So my question is - can you name for me, a favorite film of yours, which almost no one you know has ever heard of? Some little gem that most people miss? I've seen so many big films, but there's so many out there.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
One of my favorite movies is "The Gods Must Be Crazy" - I laugh out loud every time I watch it. The blurb for the movie goes:

"A discarded coke bottle falls amidst an isolated tribe of African bushmen, triggering a number of comic problems. As the bushmen come closer to "civilization" to return the troublesome bottle, things get crazier and crazier."

It was released in 1984 and is a very funny low-budget movie. A sequel was released in 1990 - not quite as funny, but still worth watching.

B

Betty_Elms

"Mulholland Drive"
"Lost Highway"
Not really small films, but a lot of people haven't seen them...
"Tank Girl"
"Persons Unknown"
"Dangerous Beauty"

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Originally posted by jazz lady
One of my favorite movies is "The Gods Must Be Crazy" - I laugh out loud every time I watch it. The blurb for the movie goes:

"A discarded coke bottle falls amidst an isolated tribe of African bushmen, triggering a number of comic problems. As the bushmen come closer to "civilization" to return the troublesome bottle, things get crazier and crazier."

It was released in 1984 and is a very funny low-budget movie. A sequel was released in 1990 - not quite as funny, but still worth watching.

Yep - seen both of them, many times, always loved them.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Originally posted by bknarw
"Phantasm" (*excellent grade b-shlock movie)
"All that Jazz"
"The Player"

Yep - seen 'em all, including the Phantasm sequels - all four of them (and a fifth comes out this year!). Had the All That Jazz soundtrack, and a roomie had the movie poster.

Wasn't too keen on "The Player" - just wasn't enjoying it.

Another old favorite of mine is still "The Inn of the Sixth Happiness" starring Ingrid Bergman. It's been on TV so many times now, I can hardly imagine ANYONE who hasn't had a chance to see it, but when I first saw it, it was a rare treat.

I suppose with enough time, I'll remember other favorites.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ever see "Consenting Adults" with Kevin Kline and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio? And "Blow Out" with John Travolta? "Pacific Heights" with Matthew Modine? "The Hitcher" with Rutger Hauer?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cariblue
I thought I was the only person in the world that had seen "Blow Out".

:yay: Another of my favorite movies, but roundly panned by the critics.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Originally posted by vraiblonde
And "Blow Out" with John Travolta? "Pacific Heights" with Matthew Modine? "The Hitcher" with Rutger Hauer?

I loved "Blow Out" - always think it's kinda weird how Nancy Allen went from bimbo to uber-cop in the Robocop movies. And "Pacific Heights" with Keaton, who never seems to play a normal person.

How about "Duel" with Dennis Weaver, the ONLY actor in a film about a homicidal truck driver determined to kill Weaver because he cut him off in traffic? It's Spielberg's breakout film.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
What was that movie where Douglas comes undone in L.A.?

"Falling Down" - yep saw it the week it came out, too. Still think some of his remarks are hysterical, even though it's not a comedy. It also has one of my favorite actors, Duvall, and a lesser known actress, Rachel Ticotin, whom you might remember from the Arnold movie, Total Recall. She always reminds me of my big sister.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Some Tom Selleck movies that I thought were really good, but didn't get two thumbs up from the critics, at least, not that I'm aware of:

Quigley Down Under
Folks
An Innocent Man ( I think the title screwed them on this one )

Never heard of Folks - but Quigley Down Under is one of my all time favorites (I'm humming the tune to it in my head right now) but *also* because I think Alan Rickman is SO DAMNED COOL as a bad guy. Plus I love in the beginning when he insults those Aussies by saying "Is everyone down here as butt-ugly as you three?". It's also the first time I got a look at Laura San Giacomo.

Maybe I ought to shop this idea around. This weekend I also saw "Pay It Forward", which was outstanding, and I don't know how it missed Oscars, but I remember that movie being popular in the theaters.

S

ShellyCW

I'm not sure of your taste, but here's a few that I've enjoyed:

Bottle Rocket ( With Owen Wilson and his brother)

Election (Matthew Broderick & Reese Witherspoon)

Rushmore (Bill Murray)

Waiting For Guffman & Best in Show (This was done by the same guys who did Spinal Tap, also in improv. format)

Brain Candy (By a Canadian Comedy group called Kids in the Hall)

SLC Punk (Or Salt Lake City Punk, an indie film)

:cheers:

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
A good spy flick that isn't on replays much is Shining Through with Douglas, Melanie Griffith and Liam Neeson. I think Rounders w/ Matt Damon & Ed Norton is one of the best movies I've seen in the last few years.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Real Men with Jim Belushi and John Ritter. It's a comedy about a CIA agent (Belushi) recruiting a lookalike for a dead CIA agent to complete a mission. Enemies include... The Russians (of course) and Rogue CIA Agents dressed as circus clowns. Definitely a good laugh.

B

Betty_Elms

Originally posted by ShellyCW
Election (Matthew Broderick & Reese Witherspoon)

Best in Show

Election was really funny! Speaking of "Best in Sow", did you see "Drop Dead Gorgeuos"? I laughed so hard at that movie....:razz2:

B

Betty_Elms

I'm not really a fan of Anime, but I saw a good movie called "Permanent Blue", I believe. It was pretty dang neat!

tater

Is "Clerks" lesser known? Most people I tell about have never heard of it. It cost about 45 dollars to make, but had me pee'in all over myself watchin it :roflmao: