Tiki Bar and St. Mary's Today

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
The headline on this weeks' rag is "Redneck Mardi Gras." Now, I don't like the term Redneck because I've heard too many college-educated people use it to insult others with less education. But the headline is also wrong, since the Tiki patrons come from all sorts of backgrounds.

DarbyOhara

Musician
Tonio on 8:52 am on April 25, 2002[br]The headline on this weeks' rag is "Redneck Mardi Gras." Now, I don't like the term Redneck because I've heard too many college-educated people use it to insult others with less education. But the headline is also wrong, since the Tiki patrons come from all sorts of backgrounds.

Well, I don't think that is the context which most use the term "Redneck".  Education is only a factor in one's lifestyle....  I didn't see or read that article, but I can tell you, that term can be very well placed with quite a few in the SOMD area.  Here is something for your reading (laughing) pleasure which most would find hilarious... some may find offended and nothing wrong... lol  [cut n' paste] the URL and make sure you see each picture...  This isn't SOMD, but Georgia somewhere.... ENJOY!

http://www.knology.net/~carlos/redneck.htm

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
Hooray for Darby! That link is hilarious - I saw it a couple weeks ago and it is still making me laugh - it's just like the people who moved in across from my parents a couple of years ago.

I thought the headline was kind of funny - "redneck" is only a negative term if you take it that way. I've heard several people loudly proclaim that they were rednecks and proud of it. The headline is almost as good as the one from a few years ago, when about twenty bajillion cops busted a few parties at St. Mary's College: "Firewater Incites Heathens"!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I do not pay any attention to what he writes about in that piece of trash.  He has bashed people that I know without having his facts straight and would not print a retraction.

Its GARBAGE......  :barf:

DarbyOhara

Musician
seasquirt on 9:45 am on April 25, 2002[br]Hooray for Darby! That link is hilarious - I saw it a couple weeks ago and it is still making me laugh - it's just like the people who moved in across from my parents a couple of years ago.

I thought the headline was kind of funny - "redneck" is only a negative term if you take it that way. I've heard several people loudly proclaim that they were rednecks and proud of it. The headline is almost as good as the one from a few years ago, when about twenty bajillion cops busted a few parties at St. Mary's College: "Firewater Incites Heathens"!

Nice headline... lol  In fact, I looked at a house which use to be a rental home for those college heathens.... lol  I won't go into details of it's condition, but let's just say Section 8 renters should go see it... for educational purposes only!... lol

Now about St Mary's Today.... I applaude that paper.  I heard nothing but people trashing that paper since I moved here...  Calling it the SOMD Inquirer and it's all lies and trash... I am sorry, but I haven't seen any lies in that paper and the only way to keep corruption in line in an area is by public "KNOWLEDGE".  If a writer's view of a bunch of shin-an-igans fighting while drunk = redneck... GOOD for them!  I actually LOVE that paper.. I like to hear the un-told truth!  Read it's history and how it unveiled some SMUT TRASH about the Govenor, about the Sheriff's Dept, about that rapist State Prosecutor (btw, if that was me, I'd be up in some DC prison, pickin up trash along the highway for about 36 months), etc etc....  WELL DONE ST MARY'S TODAY!!!!!

DarbyOhara

Musician
RoseRed on 9:57 am on April 25, 2002[br]I do not pay any attention to what he writes about in that piece of trash.  He has bashed people that I know without having his facts straight and would not print a retraction.

Its GARBAGE......  :barf:

EXACTLY what I mean!......  [showing the palm of my hand]  WHATEVER!

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
Now, now, Darby... those "heathens" only account for a fraction of the student population at the college... I lived on-campus for 4 years and never once was I charged a damage fee! You're almost always going to have rowdy kids who get drunk and rip out ceiling tiles, or what-have-you. My current roommates are both college students, and they're tidier than I am!

I don't have a problem with being lumped into the sterotype redneck.  Heck, I go to the NASCAR races, REDNECK HEAVEN....100,000+ of the nicest people you can meet (mostly).

An internesting note...in yesterday's Recorder, did you notice all the people arrested were from somewhere OTHER than Calvert County??!!!   So maybe we (Calvert County residents) aren't really rednecks....just a thought....:lmao:  :lmao:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I can't stand the paper either. My point was that the usage of "redneck" is not too much different from the usage of the N-word. I know plenty of white people who call themselves and their friends rednecks and there's no malice in it. But they would be offended, and rightly so, if someone from the city called them rednecks.

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
As someone who often offends people in this BB with inappropriate humor, I can relate to the newspaper.... :lmao:

I think the writer was just trying to be funny, not offensive! But now I'm intrigued...what happens at a Redneck Mardi Gras?? Does everyone bring their John Deeres, get drunk,  and parade them down the street? Do you wear beads or a string of soybeans around your neck? Are there backyard home brew specials? Prizes for the "best darn deer head mountin' job" in the county? Monster truck displays? How's about decorations: beat up crushed velvet recliners...a few rusted-out trucks up on blocks...some Confederate flags...cow lawn ornaments...

Sounds like fun! (And before y'all REAL rednecks get yourselves worked up: NO, I am not bashing rednecks...YES, many of my friends and neighbors are rednecks – and they're the NICEST people you'd ever want to meet...YES, I'm aware that not all rednecks own John Deeres and have deer heads mounted on their walls...YES, I agree we should be proud of the Confederate flag because alot of folks DIED to be free in this country...and NO, I am not bashing bovines, either...(I think they're rather cute, in a weird kind of way...)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, I think "Redneck Mardi Gras" is hysterical.  Some of ya'll need to go find a sense of humor somewhere.
:roflmao:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I found "Redneck Mardi Gras" to be funny too. It's kind of like West Virginia humor--sometimes it's really funny and sometimes it's just cruel.

So why did I complain about the headline? The editor of the Rag is almost hysterical over the evils of drink, probably because he lost a relative to a drunk driver. I think he considers his paper to be "the lone voice of sobriety crying out in a wilderness populated with ignorant besotted rubes." He seems to consider himself "above" Southern Maryland.

Of course many people read the Rag for entertainment. It takes its holy mission so seriously, even when making jokes. But then, how can one take a paper seriously that used to run photos of women's legs from government meetings?

(Edited by Tonio at 8:31 am on April 30, 2002)

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Good point about Wal-Mart. There's a real class issue going on with Wal-Mart versus Target. There are a few people who talk trash about the "trailer trash" who go to Wal-Mart. When pressed, they admit to shopping there only because of the low prices. Like shopping at Target makes you a member of high society. Come on! Both stores sell the same stuff. Toilet paper and detergent.

jimmy

Drunkard
The redneck mardi gras thing was hysterical; I don't think it was meant as a direct slight against the people that live here but, damn, compared to actual mardi gras, that's about the best way you can put it!

And the St. Mary's today is a trash rag.  Simple as that. That crap about the college was so ridiculous; we all went and got them though cause it was SO funny...firewater...I literally thought I had chosen to go to college in the 1800's somehow...paper didn't even mention the horrific treatment by the county cops here who actually had complaints filed against them by the State-ies that came out...they just touted us as drunken maniacs on a rampage when the worst things I saw were being done by the cops...

M Bucker

Hey Tonio,

FYI---The editor of the rag, Ken Rosignol, did lose his young son to a drunk driver (possibly his wfe too, don't remember)....and that IS the reason he is so hell bent on giving alcohol a bad name.   It's one thing to trash a paper or a person, but put yourself in his shoes for a second and seriously think about it.

Not trying to start a big uproaring conversation (hell, I drink as much as the next guy), but it seems there is a lot of lopsidedness on these forums.

H

Heretic

I never understood what the big deal was about the opening of that dive.  I guess its good as an excuse as any to get drunk and act like a fool.  

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
M Bucker, I knew already that Ken Rossignol had lost a family member to a drunk driver. It was not my intention to belittle his loss. All of us have dealt at one time or another with the death of a family member.

Look how Roberta Roper dealt with the loss of her daughter. She started the Stephanie Roper Committee and Foundation, which fights for the rights of crime victims. Rossignol could have followed her example, and started a foundation to campaign for tougher laws against drunk driving. And I'd be behind him 100 percent.

Instead, Rossignol uses his newspaper to tear down the reputations of not just drunk drivers, but also any public figure who disagrees with him. Now, I've never driven drunk, and I have no sympathy for people who do. I believe it's journalistically dishonest to publish a list of drunk driving arrests and not follow up on the status of each arrest. This is because at one time, most drunk driving arrests never resulted in indictments. This may still be the case. If he's really serious about combating drunk driving, why not do some investigative journalism on why there were (or are) so few indictments?

(Edited by Tonio at 9:26 am on May 6, 2002)

DarbyOhara said:
Nice headline... lol  In fact, I looked at a house which use to be a rental home for those college heathens.... lol  I won't go into details of it's condition, but let's just say Section 8 renters should go see it... for educational purposes only!... lol

Now about St Mary's Today.... I applaude that paper.  I heard nothing but people trashing that paper since I moved here...  Calling it the SOMD Inquirer and it's all lies and trash... I am sorry, but I haven't seen any lies in that paper and the only way to keep corruption in line in an area is by public "KNOWLEDGE".  If a writer's view of a bunch of shin-an-igans fighting while drunk = redneck... GOOD for them!  I actually LOVE that paper.. I like to hear the un-told truth!  Read it's history and how it unveiled some SMUT TRASH about the Govenor, about the Sheriff's Dept, about that rapist State Prosecutor (btw, if that was me, I'd be up in some DC prison, pickin up trash along the highway for about 36 months), etc etc....  WELL DONE ST MARY'S TODAY!!!!!
You gonna take that, Otter...:popcorn: