High Ankle Sprain/Leg Pain

D

dems4me

I've been having what I consider to be severe pain in my left leg above the ankle that is incredibly painful. Ankle is ok to touch but anytime I turn my ankle I have extreme pain in my shin (not the ankle) about two inches up from the ankle. I've had this off and on for the past 6 months and eventually end up immobilized. The pain even keeps me up at night while elevated or not ... I don't think this is a shin splint because Ithink that is higher up in the shin (below knee cap) and I don't run. I have no idea what this is or what it could be and have been searching the internet... when I walk now, I just kind of flop the leg instead of bending anything... right leg moves, then left leg is kind of a drag flop beause its just too painful. I'm in heels so this doesn't get any easier to do when at work. I can't help but limp because its too painful and I just started a new job and am trying to grin and bear it and walk normal but its just too darned painful :bawl: any suggestions? :confused: onlly thing that helped last time I had this was ace bandage compressions but I can't exactly wear one at work. What the heck is this? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

camily

Peace
dems4me said:
I've been having what I consider to be severe pain in my left leg above the ankle that is incredibly painful. Ankle is ok to touch but anytime I turn my ankle I have extreme pain in my shin (not the ankle) about two inches up from the ankle. I've had this off and on for the past 6 months and eventually end up immobilized. The pain even keeps me up at night while elevated or not ... I don't think this is a shin splint because Ithink that is higher up in the shin (below knee cap) and I don't run. I have no idea what this is or what it could be and have been searching the internet... when I walk now, I just kind of flop the leg instead of bending anything... right leg moves, then left leg is kind of a drag flop beause its just too painful. I'm in heels so this doesn't get any easier to do when at work. I can't help but limp because its too painful and I just started a new job and am trying to grin and bear it and walk normal but its just too darned painful :bawl: any suggestions? :confused:
Stop kicking the BF? :shrug:

D

dems4me

elaine said:
You've had this for 6 mos and haven't seen a doctor? :dur:

No, I didn't have insurance and my benefits here don't kick in until 90 days. I've been worried about the cost of x-rays$$$, mris$$$, etc...

camily

Peace
dems4me said:
No, I didn't have insurance and my benefits here don't kick in until 90 days. I've been worried about the cost of x-rays$$$, mris$$$, etc...
I feel your pain.

D

dems4me

camily said:
I feel your pain.

trust me, I don't think you do... its frickn' unbearable today, it started yesterday walking to lunch and by the end of the day it was practically inoperable. :lol: Will keep searching the net. Thanks! :huggy:

camily

Peace
dems4me said:
trust me, I don't think you do... its frickn' unbearable today, it started yesterday walking to lunch and by the end of the day it was practically inoperable. :lol: Will keep searching the net. Thanks! :huggy:
Actually I meant that I feel your pain in not having insurance. Sorry for the confusion. :razz:

D

dems4me

camily said:
Actually I meant that I feel your pain in not having insurance. Sorry for the confusion. :razz:

sorry, if there's any room for confusion or two ways to interpret something, I tend to always interpret it the WRONG way... :lol:

Also this area is very hot when I touch it and not much swelling. Asprin doesn't help. :mad:

camily

Peace
dems4me said:
sorry, if there's any room for confusion or two ways to interpret something, I tend to always interpret it the WRONG way... :lol:

Also this area is very hot when I touch it and not much swelling. Asprin doesn't help. :mad:
Quite an understandable mistake. Please, allow me to take full responsibility. It was intended as a play on words, though not a very good one.

D

dems4me

RoseRed said:
Maybe it's a staph infection! :yikes:

off and on? I was just in drs. this weekend with bronchitis and got a Zpak yuo'd think that woudl clear it up .. maybe? Also there's no wound or entry areas :shrug:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
dems4me said:
off and on? I was just in drs. this weekend with bronchitis and got a Zpak yuo'd think that woudl clear it up .. maybe? Also there's no wound or entry areas :shrug:

Are you going to :gossip: pediatrician? Maybe he just wants you to come back every week. :shrug:

citysherry

I Need a Beer
elaine said:
Aren't there clinics or something that people go to who don't have insurance?

Yeah, they're called Hospital Emergency Rooms.

I had to take one of my girls to Calvert Hospital for stitches one Saturday afternoon and the place was jammed up with people seeking non-emergency attention. When I found out the wait would be about 3 hrs we left and went to one of those walk-in treatment places where we were seen right away and her forehead glued closed all in under an hour!

D

dems4me

elaine said:
Aren't there clinics or something that people go to who don't have insurance?

Honestly, I've never looked into any local ones. Do they set up a payment plan or something? The way I see it, I've been this long - another 90 days won't kill me it'll just make me miserable is all. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem and if so what, if any, immediate remedy there is for this so I'm not walking all funny around the office... you know "hey! here comes that new girl, she's walking funny, is she staggering? what's with her leg flop, it wasn't there before" kind of thing not to mention its painful as hell. :frown: I'll keep searching the net when I get free. Thanks! :smile:

justbeachy

can be a real beach
dems4me said:

There's a river in Africa that has a parasite that gets in you body through your :whistle: or by drinking the water. It grows to maturity then crawls out of your skin on an arm or a leg very slooowly, like days.. you have to pull it out. I read about it in National G.

Have you been in a river in Africa? :jameo:

Toxick

Splat
dems4me said:
I've had this off and on for the past 6 months and eventually end up immobilized.

I don't want to start a panic, but that sounds like a flesh-eating virus. I'd have it looked at yesterday... sooner if possible.

D

dems4me

justbeachy said:
There's a river in Africa that has a parasite that gets in you body through your :whistle: or by drinking the water. It grows to maturity then crawls out of your skin on an arm or a leg very slooowly, like days.. you have to pull it out. I read about it in National G.

Have you been in a river in Africa? :jameo:

I've been working in DC for about 17 years. Does that count?

(implied meaning of course is, that there's lots of international travelers here)