Anyone here missing a gallbladder?

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
They're going to cut me.... :ohwell:

What's the normal recovery time? How much pain? Can I go back to eating cheeseburgers and fries after this? Somebody give me the skinny....

Oh yeah, when they did the sonogram to find the gallstone, they found a kidney stone too...It's not causing pain yet, I'm hoping they'll do something about it before it comes to that...

Last edited:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
The kidney stone.....if it is too big to pass, they may go in and laser it. But if it isn't big, then you are gonna be in pain for a bit until it passes.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
jwwb2000 said:
The kidney stone.....if it is too big to pass, they may go in and laser it. But if it isn't big, then you are gonna be in pain for a bit until it passes.
I'm not in pain from it now, it's 5mm in diameter. I don't want to pee it out.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Ehesef said:
I'm not in pain from it now, it's 5mm in diameter. I don't want to pee it out.

Then you are gonna have to wait and see what the doc is gonna do. I am afraid he is gonna just say you are gonna have to pass it :huggy:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
jwwb2000 said:
Then you are gonna have to wait and see what the doc is gonna do. I am afraid he is gonna just say you are gonna have to pass it :huggy:
Then it will just have to hang around in my kidney where it is now. I forbid it to move.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
Ehesef said:
I have a serious medical condition and you people don't give a rat's patoot.
:poorbaby: I don't know anything about anything. When is this going to happen to you? :flowers:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
jwwb2000 said:
Not laser.. sound waves..

They use sound waves externally to crush a kidney stone.. turns it to dust. If it's small they can go up through a catheter and cruch it using sound waves from the inside.

Gall bladder depends on the severity. If they can do it laproscopicallly (sp?) two small (maybe three) incisions about an inch long.. they pump you full of gas to expand your tummy so they can see what they are doing.. then use mecahnical "arms" to get the stone out. Pains from the gas in your belly hurt worse then the surgery.

If it's severe and they have to cut you open the scar is ginormous.. about 6 - 8 inches long.. running from ribs down.. and my roommate had a hell of a recovery. He was still out of the hospital after 48 hours, but it wasn't pretty..

BUT I think his bad recovery was due more to his reaction to the anesthesia then to the surgery.

Last edited:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
itsbob said:

They use sound waves externally to crush a kidney stone.. turns it to dust. If it's small they can go up through a catheter and cruch it using sound waves from the inside.

Gall bladder depends on the severity. If they can do it laproscopicallly (sp?) two small (maybe three) incisions about an inch long.. they pump you full of gas to expand your tummy so they can see what they are doing.. then use mecahnical "arms" to get the stone out. Pains from the gas in your belly hurt worse then the surgery.

If it's severe and they have to cut you open the scar is ginormous.. about 6 - 8 inches long.. running from ribs down.. and my roommate had a hell of a recovery. He was still out of the hospital after 48 hours, but it wasn't pretty..

:yay:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
itsbob said:

BUT I think his bad recovery was due more to his reaction to the anesthesia then to the surgery.

SEE?? Who loves ya baby!!?? :flowers:

K

Keesa

Hey - had my gallbladder out last March. Took them FOREVER to diagnose it though. Anyway - recovery time is based on how it will be removed. I recommended a "Lap" aka Laparoscopic removal. It's four to five small incisions into the abdomen. Recovery is about one week, or maybe two, it depends on how fit you were to begin with. If it's an "Open" removal then it's about a 3 to 4 inch incision and plan on at least 2 weeks recovery. And no - you won't be able to have your cheeseburger and fries for at least one week (I tried one about one week later and promptly lost it!). But every "body" is different. Also recommend getting a waist support band of some sort - you'll need it cause your stomach muscles will be VERY sore either way. Good Luck!

donbarzini

What timing. My boss went to the hospital last Thursday for undiagnosed pain. On Tuesday, after 4million tests, they decided it was the gall bladder.
They took it out yesterday about noon and he called me this afternoon from home. They did a scope procedure. Couple of bandaids and the incisions were covered. Says he feels fine.