New Rider looking for a bike

cbspec

Fat Hen
Hi. I just finished (and passed) the beginner rider class at PGCC this past weekend. So now I'm certified to go 15 mph in a parking lot. But I really want to get my own bike now that I've had a taste of riding alone. I was told by a friend, that the Yamaha 650 V something Classic would be good for someone like me, until I want to move up to bigger, faster and more expensive. So my question is, where do I start looking for a good used bike like that for a few thousand bux? Down here not up the road?

Oh yeah, in case you need to know, you can get into the classes at the college on a stand by basis. Just go there when it's class time and wait to see if someone doesn't show up. They'll give you the info on payment etc. if you're accepted. We had two people get into our class like that. But you must be ON TIME or early.

Thanks much.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
jbooty is selling this
2000 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom, 2 tone red, 9715 miles, well maintained by original owner, clean and in great condition. Reason for selling - owner upgraded to bigger bike.
Over $1400 in accessories including Yamaha backrest, windshield, rider floorboards and engine guards. Vance and Hines Cruzers exhaust and jet kit, saddlebags, tank bib, LED license plate frame and suede lever covers.
Have original pipes, owners manual, service and accessory receipts as well. Recently installed new Dunlop front tire. Title in hand, full tank of gas and ready to go! $4500 obo.

You'll need the original pipes to pass inspection

cbspec

Fat Hen
I'm very interested

Thank you for the reply. This sounds just like what I had in mind. How do I contact jbooty? Is he/she on this list? My yahoo email cbspec@yahoo.com to contact me off list about this.

Thanks again so very much. :dance:

jbooty

Thanks for remembering I have the bike Aps!!.. Would have caught this post earlier but, damn Legacy blew up over the weekend and can't get on here through NMCI now.. :tantrum

cbspec

Fat Hen
Thanks for the info. I did check the somd.com Classifieds and missed out on one bike (Cool Bike Wendy!) but I have another one I'm going to see this weekend. I'm going over to Atlantic Cycles on Sat. too. I can't wait to get a bike. I got some pics from jbooty and her bike is very nice too. I want one with less stuff on it though. But I appreciate the look-see. You all are just so darn nice and helpful. Thanks for everything.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
cbspec said:
Thanks for the info. I did check the somd.com Classifieds and missed out on one bike (Cool Bike Wendy!) but I have another one I'm going to see this weekend. I'm going over to Atlantic Cycles on Sat. too. I can't wait to get a bike. I got some pics from jbooty and her bike is very nice too. I want one with less stuff on it though. But I appreciate the look-see. You all are just so darn nice and helpful. Thanks for everything.
What bike was Wendy selling??

Not the Bumble Bee I hope...

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
cbspec said:

Check out Clinton cycles south in hugesville just south of All American. CCS has lots of used bikes in every make.

cbspec

Fat Hen
Wendy had the 2005 V-Star Classic (its #45 now). It was quite pretty and had been lowered. Guess it wasn't meant to be for me. The search continues. I'll check out the other places you all recommend. Clinton Cycles is on my list (and on my way home tonight!)

Thanks again.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
cbspec said:
Wendy had the 2005 V-Star Classic (its #45 now). It was quite pretty and had been lowered. Guess it wasn't meant to be for me. The search continues. I'll check out the other places you all recommend. Clinton Cycles is on my list (and on my way home tonight!)

Thanks again.
What TYPE of bike are you looking for? Cruiser, tourer.. sport?? I'd let you test drive mine (NOT for sale) to see if this type of bike, engine etc might interest you. Starting at the type of bike you want, will let you focus your search.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
cbspec said:
Clinton Cycles is on my list (and on my way home tonight!).
Hope you live north of Hughesville, 'cause you ain't turning south from Clinton Cycles on a Friday evening

jbooty

Do any of you know if 2 bikes, (1100 CC's) would fit okay on a 6 X 10 trailer or would i need to go bigger? I have a 5 X 12 now and thought i could stagger them, but i don't believe it'll work.. I don't really want to have to get something 7ft wide so .. 6 X 10 (side by side)? Or 6 X 12 (staggered)?? TIA

itsbob

I bowl overhand
jbooty said:
Do any of you know if 2 bikes, (1100 CC's) would fit okay on a 6 X 10 trailer or would i need to go bigger? I have a 5 X 12 now and thought i could stagger them, but i don't believe it'll work.. I don't really want to have to get something 7ft wide so .. 6 X 10 (side by side)? Or 6 X 12 (staggered)?? TIA
What do you mean by staggered?? I would think if you nose to tail them they would fit on the 5 X 12...

jbooty

itsbob said:
What do you mean by staggered?? I would think if you nose to tail them they would fit on the 5 X 12...

I know they're too wide to put side by side.. tried it with 650's and it would have been very tight.. With the 1100's, i was thinking if one of the bikes was put all the way up front, then the second could go beside it, with the front tire being around the seat area of the 1st bike..

cbspec

Fat Hen
I'm looking for a cruiser, like the v-star. I'm still a total novice, so low, lean and not too mean is what I want. But something I won't want to trade up in 6 months either. So no 250 (like what I learned on). I figured the 650 would be nice or maybe even a 883 hugger, like I saw in the Classified. Went to the Atlantic Cycle site and saw lots of nice bikes. I feel like a kid in a candy store. This weekend is for test-sitting what I want.

Aps, you are sooooo right about Hughesville on Friday evenings, or any evening for that matter. I figured I'd turn right at Cracklingtown Rd., go to the end then make a left and go on up to the light at Rt. 5 and make a left onto Rt. 5 North. Puts me on the correct side of the road that way. I just Hate people who make that left from Rt. 5 South into the darn gas station right past the cycle stores. sheesh.