Vegetable Gardens - with dogs

SamSpade

I used to think that having dogs would make growing a garden easier - after all, the smell of the dogs and their - droppings - would discourage most pests. Plus, there's the actual ripping of the rodent into pieces thing. I also imagine it helps with pests like deer, for whom a snarling dog would make night-time grazing not worth the effort.

However - something that had not occurred to me, is that the dog himself might be the "pest" - digging up gardens, ripping out plants - something I'm not excited about doing, and expending my labor on, if a couple of dogs can destroy in a day what might take weeks to create.

How do you protect your gardens from your own pooches? Do they leave them alone, mostly? Does a rabbit fence mostly do it? Can you discourage them with something as simple as something that smells bad, like marigolds?

Or are they just well-behaved, and know to leave it alone?

SamSpade

Chasey_Lane said:
Ewwww! You gotta' pick that shiat up. :lol:
Fortunately, my guys are still so little, it's just little tootsie rolls right now.

UN-fortunately, they both show every sign of growing into HUGE dogs (they're mutts, but the male looks like he'll be Rottie or St Bernard size, just from the way he's growing).

I'm really hoping they can be trained to do their business in one area. Otherwise, my huge back yard WILL become a mine field.

I guess a small animal fence ought to do the trick - I really don't see them making a huge effort to jump a rabbit fence, just to play with the plants.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
SamSpade said:
I really don't see them making a huge effort to jump a rabbit fence, just to play with the plants.
Dont underestimate...my puppy will go to great lengths just to weasel his way into the laundry room to grab a sock. :lol:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
SamSpade said:
Fortunately, my guys are still so little, it's just little tootsie rolls right now.

UN-fortunately, they both show every sign of growing into HUGE dogs (they're mutts, but the male looks like he'll be Rottie or St Bernard size, just from the way he's growing).

I'm really hoping they can be trained to do their business in one area. Otherwise, my huge back yard WILL become a mine field.

I guess a small animal fence ought to do the trick - I really don't see them making a huge effort to jump a rabbit fence, just to play with the plants.
They DO. :lol:
a small wooden picket fence is the best option if you really want to keep it safe (and a small one won't give you shadows to worry about like a big one will). some folks use the invisible fence around their yards, and enclose their gardens as well. For some reason freshly dug dirt smells SO good :lol: My girl likes to come help me dig when i'm digging.

SamSpade

happyappygirl said:
They DO. :lol:
a small wooden picket fence is the best option if you really want to keep it safe (and a small one won't give you shadows to worry about like a big one will). some folks use the invisible fence around their yards, and enclose their gardens as well. For some reason freshly dug dirt smells SO good :lol: My girl likes to come help me dig when i'm digging.
In that case - how about something, say, four feet high, made of chicken wire?

Before, I figured chicken wire was useless, because rodents could easily get through it. With dogs, I imagine they'd be too chicken to try.

Katt

I never minded my dogs going in the garden as long as they only wanted to lie down in the soft dirt. Luckily, they weren't diggers and were wonderful company to me when I was in my garden. Sorry to say, they are gone now and this year I'm putting in a garden for the first time in a couple years and now I have a two year old german shepherd. I'm wondering what sort of trouble she'll find herself in when the garden's growing. I tend to really yell loud at the dog(s) if I see they are doing something bad there, and eventually, they get the message. (lets hope my "Janie" understands that theory) :jameo:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
CMC122 said:
Mine are already digging up the voles. I had to put one out of it's misery yesterday.

I'm sure that's what it is. Biscuit hold his head funny...listens...then digs frantically. Abbey stands behind him and gets sprayed with the dirt. :lol: The other two just think they are crazy.

cattitude said:
I'm sure that's what it is. Biscuit hold his head funny...listens...then digs frantically. Abbey stands behind him and gets sprayed with the dirt. :lol: The other two just think they are crazy.
M-boy just saw your avatar and knew right away it was you...:lol:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
SamSpade said:
In that case - how about something, say, four feet high, made of chicken wire?

Before, I figured chicken wire was useless, because rodents could easily get through it. With dogs, I imagine they'd be too chicken to try.
not vewy pwetty :lol: hope it's outta sight!

downthestretch

can anyb ody help. cant get anyone to mow my lawn. i had help but he didnt pan out. now i dont know a flower from a weed and new someone with a lawnm ower to mow my lawn