Flu with rash

nikisonny

I know the flu has been running through our area. Every kid in my daycare has had it and now it's my kids turn I guess. My son started yesterday w/high temp 102.5 under arm. It's been on and off today. He seems to be doing better and has eaten toast and popsicles and actually is moving around more. My only concern is that he is developing a rash in certain areas. He says it's itchy and it is on his thigh, elbow, and looks like a sunburn. Does anyone have any experience with this? Tomorrow will be day 3 and if he's not better I'm concerned I may have to take him to dr. or emergency room (dh is going out of town). Please help.

M

missperky

2 of my kids are sick, vomiting and the poops, youngest had a fever yesterday. One is feeling better and then another one gets it.

Could the rash be from the fever?

Pandora

You do know that none of us are doctors and that we just play ones on the forums? :whistle:

So maybe you should call the doctor. :shrug:

Last edited:
missperky said:
Thought it was fifth disease?
It is fifth's disease... and if the rash is stemming from a bout of strep you must get medical attention tomorrow. Untreated strep can lead to heart damage.

cattitude said:
Scarlet fever.
Exactly. I couldn't remember that name, but I do know a few adults who have had to have heart surgery to fix problems resulting from them getting scarlet fever and not being treated for it when they were a kid.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
kwillia said:
Exactly. I couldn't remember that name, but I do know a few adults who have had to have heart surgery to fix problems resulting from them getting scarlet fever and not being treated for it when they were a kid.
I have to have a stress test tomorrow....Maybe I had that and mom is just keeping it a big guilty secret.

BS Gal said:
I have to have a stress test tomorrow....Maybe I had that and mom is just keeping it a big guilty secret.
In all seriousness, you'll find out soon... they'll definately be able to tell it is damage resulting from Scarlet Fever if that's what the problem is...:eyebrow:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
nikisonny said:
I know the flu has been running through our area. Every kid in my daycare has had it and now it's my kids turn I guess. My son started yesterday w/high temp 102.5 under arm. It's been on and off today. He seems to be doing better and has eaten toast and popsicles and actually is moving around more. My only concern is that he is developing a rash in certain areas. He says it's itchy and it is on his thigh, elbow, and looks like a sunburn. Does anyone have any experience with this? Tomorrow will be day 3 and if he's not better I'm concerned I may have to take him to dr. or emergency room (dh is going out of town). Please help.
We're in part 2 of this virus. no rashes with it. it's not virus - I'd guess strep

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
kwillia said:
In all seriousness, you'll find out soon... they'll definately be able to tell it is damage resulting from Scarlet Fever if that's what the problem is...:eyebrow:

I think it's actually Rheumatic Fever that does the heart damage and that can come from not having a strep infection treated.

Pandora

cattitude said:
I think it's actually Rheumatic Fever that does the heart damage and that can come from not having a strep infection treated.

It is very important that "strep" throat be treated with antibiotics. You should not try to fight the infection yourself. Certain Proteins in the Group A streptococcus bacterium resemble those of human heart valves. Therefore, if you fight off the infection yourself, you may form antibodies that can attack your heart valves, and hence get Rheumatic heart disease. This may lead to permanent heart damage that occurs years later.

Source: ecureme.com

cattitude said:
I thought you were saying that was what Scarlet fever was... I know that untreated step could appear to go away only to result in a rash and possible permanent organ damage.

I'm not trying to scare her silly or say that's what is wrong with her kid, I'm just saying that a fever like that and then a rash is not something I'd diagnose over the internet.

A doc can usually tell what is going on just by looking at the rash and then can validate the diagnosis with an appropriate test.

nikisonny

We are definately going to doc tomorrow....

My son did complain about his heart beating really fast, but I thought it was because he was throwing up.....Is this something I should go to emergency room for? He is not burning up right now. He is sitting on couch watching tv.