Planting Tomato's

justbeachy

can be a real beach
I saw this on the Food channel the other day I think I'l try, maybe some of might like it too.

They took a bail of staw and left it bundled. With a big seratted knife cut two wholes in the top. Put in top soil then two good sized tomato plants and around the tomato's they planted marigolds because they keep pest away. I thought this would look pretty an practical

MMDad

Lem Putt
justbeachy said:
I saw this on the Food channel the other day I think I'l try, maybe some of might like it too.

They took a bail of staw and left it bundled. With a big seratted knife cut two wholes in the top. Put in top soil then two good sized tomato plants and around the tomato's they planted marigolds because they keep pest away. I thought this would look pretty an practical
What show? Sounds interesting...

Mikeinsmd

I love garden maters but the damn squirrels eat them when they are small & green. Any suggestions how to keep these over grown rats outta my maters? I can't use a gun (developement) and there's too many of them.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Mikeinsmd said:
I love garden maters but the damn squirrels eat them when they are small & green. Any suggestions how to keep these over grown rats outta my maters? I can't use a gun (developement) and there's too many of them.
You either feed them something they like better, or you kill them. They love my bird feeders, and never eat my tomatoes.

If you can't use an air rifle, anti-freeze will get them. Both methods are illegal, but they are just tree rats anyway.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Mikeinsmd said:
Any suggestions how to keep these over grown rats outta my maters?

Mix cayenne pepper & water in a spray bottle, wet the fruits/let dry, and respray after each rain.

If you don't like spicy tomatoes be sure to rinse them good before eating. :lol:

PrepH4U

Mikeinsmd said:
hmmm paintball gun gives them a nice little pink hair job! :lol:

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
Mikeinsmd said:

I use a big blow up owl on a post. You can get them in plastic or stone too. It REALLY works!. Put it near your gardens and it'll keep them away. You can buy them at any garden store..and I think Lowes has them. The critters think it's a real owl and will stay away. :yay:

Oh and I should add..you need to keep moving it to different places because the critters will eventually get wise.

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Squirrels never bothered my 'maters. Maybe it was my big dog running around that kept them away. :lol:

MMDad

Lem Putt
RoseRed said:
Squirrels never bothered my 'maters. Maybe it was my big dog running around that kept them away. :lol:
These are two different things. You are talking about people who mated with you. He is talking about tomatoes.

You are welcome.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
The Yankee Flipper Bird Feeder :yay: :yay: My dearly departed grandmother loved hers. The squirrels try to get to the seed but the perch starts spinning due to the weight. The Perch spins faster and faster until :zing: grey squirrel transforms to flying squirrel. For a really good time try to pluck the airborne tree rats with an RWS Diana pellet gun. Did someone say "PULL!!"?clickhere

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
justbeachy said:
Put in top soil then two good sized tomato plants and around the tomato's they planted marigolds because they keep pest away. I thought this would look pretty an practical
It's called "companion planting" and it is both pretty AND practical. A symbiosis between plants if you will. I've used this method for years. Also, certain things don't do well near each other and can actually inhibit growth of the other plants:

http://www.gardenguides.com/TipsandTechniques/vcomp.htm

http://www.gardenguides.com/TipsandTechniques/herbc.htm