Baltimore

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
From a different thread (didn't want to hijack Elaine's Pyrate tread :jet:) :
Kain99 said:
I spent the last three days in Baltimore and I am sad to report.... It's a shiat hole. Inner Harbor is beautiful.... N Broadway with Hopkins, is neat but everything else is super Mc-nasty! Poor excuse for a city... Looks like it's been blasted by holocaust and is being rebuilt.

I wasn't happy... Even in the Mariott Water Front - Yes Rose, I had my Prozac. Nasty town.

My last visit wasn't so bad because I never left Camden Yards... Oh and beware newbies! You'll see rail thin tracks at ever stop light on Pratt and Lombard streets... Don't be a dumb azz and let your tires cross.. Trolly Cars!

Hated the town hugely! Liqour cannot hide the truth Shiat Hole!

Love,
Kain99

I completely agree with this - what a friggin' ghetto. Inner Harbor is still okay, but the minute you step outside that area it's a crime scene waiting to happen.

We were there on a Saturday night, stayed near the convention center, and I ventured forth alone at about 6pm in search of a neighborhood place to have dinner. The streets were deserted. No kidding - everything was closed, even the Taco Bell. The desk guy said everything closes up because the only "business" they get after dark are thugs hanging out and robberies - nobody else will come around because of the crime.

We walked up to Lexington Market - what a mistake. That place was like gang central, with throngs of obscenity-shouting dirtbags who look at you as you walk past. I've walked the back streets of Manhattan at 1am without feeling nervous or menaced in the slightest, but you'd never get me to do that in Baltimore.

Charm City - what a friggin' joke. And Martin O'Malley, who presides over this mess, has the nerve to want our vote as Governor!

mAlice

professional daydreamer
vraiblonde said:
We were there on a Saturday night, stayed near the convention center, and I ventured forth alone at about 6pm in search of a neighborhood place to have dinner. The streets were deserted.

You should have come to Fells Point....it wasn't deserted.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
vraiblonde said:
We walked up to Lexington Market - what a mistake. That place was like gang central, with throngs of obscenity-shouting dirtbags who look at you as you walk past. I've walked the back streets of Manhattan at 1am without feeling nervous or menaced in the slightest, but you'd never get me to do that in Baltimore.

You know, when my youngest was at the Universtity of Maryland Hospital 23 years ago that area was bad then. I stayed at the Ronald McDonald House and was told under no circumstances should I leave the House unattended. We had "caring cabbies" that drove me back and forth. The House had a very high brick wall all the way around it.

I think Baltimore is just like any city. There are nice spots and really awful spots. You can venture just a few blocks away from the nice areas of downtown DC and be in hell.

Toxick

Splat
vraiblonde said:
Charm City - what a friggin' joke. And Martin O'Malley, who presides over this mess, has the nerve to want our vote as Governor!

It didn't used to be that way :(

I was born there, and mostly raised there. It used to be a nice place. Except for a few areas like Pigtown and southeast, it wasn't that bad. You could even walk around at night. (The Block was always fun after-hours).

*sigh*

At least most of the suburbs are still mostly livable.

What a crap-tank my hometown has become.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
We walked up to Lexington Market
Are you insane? :yikes:

I haven't walked in that neighborhood since the mid 80's and that was to take my kids into the market for a puppet show. Me & my Granny used to go to the market when I was a kid. I used to get a big fat pickled onion and eat it on the bus ride home. :yum: "Downtown" was different back then, we'd walk the streets, have lunch, and shop all day.

The real freakshow is on Greenmount after dark. :shocking:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
elaine said:
You should have come to Fells Point....it wasn't deserted.
We had the girls with us. I haven't been to Fell's Point in several years but my memory is that it's not particularly family-friendly. If it had been just Larry and me, we'd have probably done that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sharon said:
"Downtown" was different back then, we'd walk the streets, have lunch, and shop all day.
We had Larry's aunt with us - she grew up in Baltimore and hadn't been back for many years. She wanted to show us all the neat places she remembered from her youth. Needless to say, those places are either closed up or have turned into thug hangouts like Lexington Market.

She was pretty disappointed.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
vraiblonde said:
We had the girls with us. I haven't been to Fell's Point in several years but my memory is that it's not particularly family-friendly. If it had been just Larry and me, we'd have probably done that.

No, it didn't seem particularly family friendly, but had I known you were going to be there, FB and I would have met hooked up with you for dinner or something.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
cattitude said:
I think Baltimore is just like any city.
I have walked from one end of Manhattan to the other, during the day and at night, completely unmenaced. Alphabet City down by the Bowery is supposedly a "dangerous" area, but we walked it at 2am without incident.

There are plenty of cities that keep their criminal element under control - Baltimore just isn't one of them. :ohwell:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
elaine said:
but had I known you were going to be there, FB and I would have met hooked up with you for dinner or something.
This was last month, when Alex performed with the All-State Chorus. Had the girls, our niece and Larry's aunt with us.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
We had Larry's aunt with us - she grew up in Baltimore and hadn't been back for many years. She wanted to show us all the neat places she remembered from her youth. Needless to say, those places are either closed up or have turned into thug hangouts like Lexington Market.

She was pretty disappointed.

It's definitely not the same. My sister still lives there. Can't understand why though. :shrug:

mainman

Set Trippin
My former FIL lived in Pigtown... What a shithole that is. I think the Joker was talking about Baltimore when he said,, "this town needs an enema"...:yay:

fttrsbeerwench

I have agree that B-more stinks IMO.:barf:

But on a brighter note...
Have any of you spent any time in Bethesda??
I was really impressed.. I was up on Wisconsin Ave. Saturday night and was so pleased.. The restaurant, Austin Grill was FABULOUS!.. My friend couldn't stop commenting on how quaint it was there, cobblestome sidewalks, families out together, pushing their kids in strollers... People on the street even actually acknowledge you when you walk by..
I'm not a city person by any means, but Bethesda was clean and friendly.. I'll be definatly be going back to check out the HUGE Mongolian restaurant and seek out some interesting hangn outs.. :yay:

bcp

In My Opinion
The only way to enjoy baltimore is like we do.
I take the boat up the bay, pull into the baltimore harbor area and dock right in front of the hard rock cafe, then we do the aquarium, go and eat lunch at the hard rock, get back in the boat and run back down the bay to America.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
fttrsbeerwench said:
Have any of you spent any time in Bethesda??
Noted for future bum-around trips :yay:

I like to go to these huge flea markety places, where it's either quaint shops and food stands or literally an open-air flea market. There's one up by Silver Spring that I want to get to when the weather gets warmer.

vraiblonde said:

I like to go to these huge flea markety places, where it's either quaint shops and food stands or literally an open-air flea market. There's one up by Silver Spring that I want to get to when the weather gets warmer.
If you end up in downtown Baltimore again and need a good place to eat, check out BURKES CAFE on 36 Light Street. It is our favorite place for breakfast and we had dinner there last time and enjoyed it as well.

fttrsbeerwench

vraiblonde said:

Me too:yay: I have not been to Silver Spring in ages, perhaps I'll check it out.
The place were at was near the naval hospital. But be careful, the further south you so in Wisc. Ave., the scarier it gets. :jameo:

BuddyLee

Football addict
I wasn't too impressed either when I went to get my Volkswagen Bug in Fells Point up from the Baltimore Tattoo Museum and then again a year or so ago with Janey.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I loved some of the history; you just had to scrape away a few layers of graffiti to get to it.:ohwell: