Onions

itsbob

I bowl overhand
jazz lady said:
Pull them and KEEP pulling them. Make sure you fish out any little bulbs left in the ground when you pull the big one. It's the only really effective method of control I've found. :shrug:
Our yards are covered with the damn things.. It makes you cry when you mow the yard. Weed killer works on them, but I'd need like 50 gallons of it, and a tow behind sprayer to kill them all.

Steve

Enjoying life!
I don't think there is a cure. You just have to tell everyone you have onions from now on. :shrug:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
jazz lady said:
Pull them and KEEP pulling them. Make sure you fish out any little bulbs left in the ground when you pull the big one. It's the only really effective method of control I've found. :shrug:

I have a horseshoe drive. Yesterday I decided to make the middle of that a flowerbed. There was some grass, a buttload of onion, some of those wild pansie type things and some danelions. I roughed up the ground but it was REALLY hard. I doubt that anything had ever been done it it. I tried to pull up as much of the onion as I could. I sprayed the hell out of it with some weed/grass killer. B just got home with my truck load of top soil and wants to know if he can dump it. I suppose I'm just going to give him the thumbs up.

My ma gave me some of those cheesey wildflower mats. I'm kinda wishing I hadn't gone out and spent several hundred dollars on flowers already. Had I been smart I'd of just rolled out those mats and went about my business but no I wanted pretty real flowers.

I did my first whiskey barrel last night. Cute as can be! There's no way we're going to get everything done in the yard we want to this year. Opting for the whiskey barrels in place of shrubs was the way to go since when I was putting them in place I realized that there isn't even any soil under all my pine bark. :faint:

I hate those stinking onions. There's a ton of them too. Two different kinds. One that has very fine leaves and one that has a much thicker almost grass type leaf. I guess you'd call it the leaf. The ground is so hard that you rarely get the onion out when you pull it though.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
jazz lady said:
Unless you put down some sort of weed barrier first, everything left in the ground is just going to grow right through the soil. You can also use black plastic mulch to kill areas where you want EVERYTHING to die, but it takes awhile for it to work. :ohwell:

I've never had much luck with them. Let us know how they turn out.

Rome wasn't built in a day. I'm still working on my house and it's been 4 years. :faint:

You need some sort of garden tool to help you out. I have one that has spikes on the end, you step on it to push it in the ground, close the spikes, then twist and lift to remove the entire plant. I think it's called a Weed Weasel but I'll have to check. It makes your life much easier. :yay:

I decided against the mat and bought real flowers. I'm just going to attack the weeds as they come up through the soil. I wish I had taken pics before I started yesterday. Just me rearranging the rocks and cleaning it up made a huge difference. It's going to be so cute when I'm done.

I'll do the whisky barrles in the big beds close to the house but that's it this year. Next year.... Clean out the pine bark, add soil, go crazy! :lmao: