Killer Flapjacks

Elle

Happy Camper!
Snopes says it's true :ohwell:

DEAR ABBY: I recently made a batch of pancakes for my healthy 14-year-old son, using a mix that was in our pantry. He said that they tasted "funny," but ate them anyway. About 10 minutes later, he began having difficulty breathing and his lips began turning purple. I gave him his allergy pill, had him sit on the sofa and told him to relax. He was wheezing while inhaling and exhaling.

My husband, a volunteer firefighter and EMT, heated up some water, and we had my son lean over the water so the steam could clear his chest and sinuses. Soon, his breathing became more regular and his lips returned to a more normal color.

We checked the date on the box of pancake mix and, to my dismay, found it was very outdated. As a reference librarian at an academic institution, I have the ability to search through many research databases. I did just that, and found an article the next day that mentioned a 19-year-old male DYING after eating pancakes made with outdated mix. Apparently, the mold that forms in old pancake mix can be toxic!

When we told our friends about my son's close call, we were surprised at the number of people who mentioned that they should check their own pancake mix since they don't use it often, or they had purchased it some time ago. With so many people shopping at warehouse-type stores and buying large sizes of pancake mix, I hope your readers will take the time to check the expiration date on their boxes. — SUE IN WYANTSKILL, N.Y.

DEAR SUE: Thank you for the warning. I certainly was not aware that pancake mix could turn moldy and cause an allergic reaction in someone with an allergy to mold — but it's logical. I wonder if the same holds true for cake mix, brownie mix and cookie mix. If so, then a warning should be placed on the box for people like me.

We hear so often about discarding prescription and over-the-counter medications after their expiration dates, but I don't recall warnings about packaged items in the pantry. Heads up, folks!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Duh.

And why use pancake mix in the first place when it's just as easy to whip 'em up from scratch?

BuddyLee

Football addict
Random but...

Hey Elle, that Henry guy died off. Are you still looking for information on St. George's Island in the American Revolution?

Elle

Happy Camper!
BuddyLee said:
Hey Elle, that Henry guy died off. Are you still looking for information on St. George's Island in the American Revolution?
No, not really. It was just something that came up at work so I asked, but what do you got???

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
WYANTSKILL

I'll tell ya, keeping family traditions is great, but Sue Wyant should've let this one pass. Pancake mix - what a lame weapon! Bullets are quicker.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Elle said:
No, not really. It was just something that came up at work so I asked, but what do you got???
There's a book at the local libraries by Regina Combs Hammett called The History of St. Mary's County, Maryland 1634-1990, which gives a pretty detailed account of when the British first landed ashore at St. Mary's (which was on St. George's). It's a pretty good section/story if you ever get the chance.:yay: