When is the best time ?

The "May" planting guide as suggested by www.farmersalmanac.com

May 2006

1 Any seed planted now will tend to rot.

2-3-4 Most favorable for corn, cotton, okra, beans, peppers, eggplant and other aboveground crops. Plant seedbeds and flower gardens.

5-6-7-8-9 A barren period. Favorable for killing plant pests, cultivating or taking a short vacation.

10-11 Excellent time for planting corn, beans, peppers and other aboveground crops. Favorable time for sowing hay, fodder crops and grains. Plant flowers.

12-13 First day excellent for planting aboveground crops, starting seedbeds and planting leafy vegetables. Second day good for planting carrots, beets, onions, turnips and other root crops. Cabbage, lettuce and other leafy vegetables will do well. Plant seedbeds all days.

14-15 Do no planting.

16-17 Plant late beets, potatoes, onions, carrots and other root crops.

18-19 Kill plant pests on these barren days.

20-21 Favorable time for planting late root crops. Also good for vine crops that can be planted now. Set strawberry plants.

22-23-24 Poor planting. Fine for cultivating or spraying.

25-26 First day good for root crops. Root crops planted now will yield well. Second day good for planting beans, corn, cotton, tomatoes, peppers and other aboveground crops.

27-28-29 Any seed planted now will tend to rot.

30-31 Most favorable for corn, cotton, okra, beans, peppers, eggplant and other aboveground crops. Plant seedbeds and flower gardens.

TWLs wife

kwillia said:
The "May" planting guide as suggested by www.farmersalmanac.com

May 2006

1 Any seed planted now will tend to rot.

2-3-4 Most favorable for corn, cotton, okra, beans, peppers, eggplant and other aboveground crops. Plant seedbeds and flower gardens.

5-6-7-8-9 A barren period. Favorable for killing plant pests, cultivating or taking a short vacation.

10-11 Excellent time for planting corn, beans, peppers and other aboveground crops. Favorable time for sowing hay, fodder crops and grains. Plant flowers.

12-13 First day excellent for planting aboveground crops, starting seedbeds and planting leafy vegetables. Second day good for planting carrots, beets, onions, turnips and other root crops. Cabbage, lettuce and other leafy vegetables will do well. Plant seedbeds all days.

14-15 Do no planting.

16-17 Plant late beets, potatoes, onions, carrots and other root crops.

18-19 Kill plant pests on these barren days.

20-21 Favorable time for planting late root crops. Also good for vine crops that can be planted now. Set strawberry plants.

22-23-24 Poor planting. Fine for cultivating or spraying.

25-26 First day good for root crops. Root crops planted now will yield well. Second day good for planting beans, corn, cotton, tomatoes, peppers and other aboveground crops.

27-28-29 Any seed planted now will tend to rot.

30-31 Most favorable for corn, cotton, okra, beans, peppers, eggplant and other aboveground crops. Plant seedbeds and flower gardens.

Thank you Kwilla. :huggy:

oldman

Lobster Land
TWL's wife said:
To start planting for a Veg Garden? I want to have something before the end of the summer.

I think Kwilla's post is pretty good. Although it's ?summer? it really isn't hot yet so don't get in to much of hurry. Take some time and plan it out first. Most plants you want will grow well within 60 days and it's only early May right now. If I'm not mistaken farmers aren't planting the good stuff we want as yet. Gardens are loads of fun and easy, although they do take some care to be productive. There isn't anything better than growing your own salad fixings.

TWLs wife

oldman said:
I think Kwilla's post is pretty good. Although it's ?summer? it really isn't hot yet so don't get in to much of hurry. Take some time and plan it out first. Most plants you want will grow well within 60 days and it's only early May right now. If I'm not mistaken farmers aren't planting the good stuff we want as yet. Gardens are loads of fun and easy, although they do take some care to be productive. There isn't anything better than growing your own salad fixings.
I'm growing all different kinds of veggies. I want to able to store some of what I grow for the winter too.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Are you planting this in your yard or in a community garden? Either way you should be preparing your soil now. You need to rid it of all the grass and weeds and start tilling the soil before you plant the garden.

TWLs wife

CMC122 said:
Are you planting this in your yard or in a community garden? Either way you should be preparing your soil now. You need to rid it of all the grass and weeds and start tilling the soil before you plant the garden.
In my Yard. Started Clearring the Area Yesterday. I even got New fresh Top Soil & everything to start a garden. I got bug killer , plant food & more at Big Lots. :yay:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Good luck with your garden, Tig. Bob and I both need to get busy working on ours. He started a few weeks ago with little peat pots and seeds, but he didn't stick with caring for them properly, and they didn't do too much after he stopped watering them. Or maybe he overwatered them. :lol:

I'd love to have some great fresh veggies and fruits to eat and also to make some homemade baby food.

Thanks for the input, Kwillia. Good info :yay:

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
My herb garden out back is already going strong. But I got some NICE tomato plants from Zimmermans to plant yet. My Grandaddy used to say, "Never plant your 'maters before Kentucky Derby Day." The Derby is Saturday so my "maters" are going in the ground Sunday. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
TWL's wife said:
When is the best time ?
To start planting for a Veg Garden? I want to have something before the end of the summer.
The US is divided into different climate zones and we happen to be in zone 7. Our average last frost date is April 15th, so you're pretty safe to plant anything now. You just have to watch out for the occasional nippy night and protect anything that is susceptible to cold, like tomatoes, by covering them with some sort of protection like plastic to keep them warm.

If you buy vegetable seeds, most packets have on the back guidelines for when the best time is to plant in your area because some don't germinate until the soil warms up enough in the spring. If you buy plants, you're pretty safe to plant them anytime and just protect them from those chilly nights.

Good luck and happy growing! :cheers:

marianne

DH started ours a month ago with indoor plastic greenhouses. Then he put them in large planters - bringing them outside when the weather is good and inside at night, gradually keeping them outside longer and longer. He'lll be transplanting them to the outdoor garden as soon as we get a truckload of top soil.