Women Urged to Get 'Morning After' Pill

Somdmommy

:Jeepin' in NC:
Get an advance prescription for emergency contraception so it will be on hand if you need it, the nation's largest gynecologist group advised women Monday.
The new campaign aims to increase access to the morning-after pill following the Bush administration's refusal to allow the emergency birth control to be sold over the counter nationwide.
We want women to be prepared, well before a contraceptive failure or unprotected sex occurs. Afterward may be too late," said Dr. Michael Mennuti, president of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
The morning-after pill is a high dose of regular birth control pills. It cuts the chances of pregnancy by up to 89 percent if used within 72 hours of rape, condom failure or just forgetting routine contraception.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060508...C07gn6s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3czJjNGZoBHNlYwM3NTE-

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But last year, top-ranking Food and Drug Administration officials overruled their own scientists' decision that nonprescription sales would be safe and, citing concern that young teens might use the pills, indefinitely postponed a decision.
See, this is one of the things that aggravates me about these people. They cry and pule about the FDA not approving this pill, but if some woman died as a result of taking it, they would also be the first people calling for heads to roll.

I just wish everyone would make up their mind.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
vraiblonde said:
See, this is one of the things that aggravates me about these people. They cry and pule about the FDA not approving this pill, but if some woman died as a result of taking it, they would also be the first people calling for heads to roll.

From what I've read, the left blames Bush appointees who lead the FDA for overruling the scientists' decision. According to them, these officials believe the drug will promote licentiousness. I think that's too conspiratorial, just another way to blame Bush for something.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You need a prescription for birth control pills. Do we really want to make an uber-birth control pill that's x-times stronger available OTC?

Sometimes the lack of logic just slays me.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
vraiblonde said:
You need a prescription for birth control pills. Do we really want to make an uber-birth control pill that's x-times stronger available OTC?

Sometimes the lack of logic just slays me.
My thoughts exactly. Birth control is available OTC...they're called condoms. Use them. If you don't and get pregnant, then you need to suck it up and see a doctor and ASK for a prescription for the morning after pill. If you need it because you were raped, you need to see a doctor anyways, so you might as well get it there. As if people weren't careless enough, could you imagine the whoring around people would do if they could just erase their mistakes and pick up toilet paper all in the same trip?

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Nickel said:
My thoughts exactly. Birth control is available OTC...they're called condoms. Use them. If you don't and get pregnant, then you need to suck it up and see a doctor and ASK for a prescription for the morning after pill. If you need it because you were raped, you need to see a doctor anyways, so you might as well get it there. As if people weren't careless enough, could you imagine the whoring around people would do if they could just erase their mistakes and pick up toilet paper all in the same trip?
While I agree that it shouldn't be too readily available (it'd just add to the sexual irreponsibility that already runs rampant) I DO think every woman should talk to her doctor AND pharmacist to ensure that IF the need for something like this arises, they won't be left hanging due to someone else's moral/religious beliefs for prescribing/fillig it.

Pandora

It is a fact that prolong use of the birth control pill DOES in fact increase your risk for breast cancer, so what kind of risk are we going to find out about later with a pill that is suppose to be X times stronger than a monthly birth control pill?

Personally, I think this pill should only be used in cases of rape.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
crabcake said:
While I agree that it shouldn't be too readily available (it'd just add to the sexual irreponsibility that already runs rampant) I DO think every woman should talk to her doctor AND pharmacist to ensure that IF the need for something like this arises, they won't be left hanging due to someone else's moral/religious beliefs for prescribing/fillig it.

I agree with you to a point. I think the morning-after pill might encourage sexual irresponsibility in a few people. But I suspect that most people who are sexually irresponsible don't think about birth control in the first place.

Somdmommy

It does not matter, It should only be used for RAPE. All this will do is make it so much easier for people to just be lazy. "oh well why take BC everyday when I can just take this"
The biggest one of all: "You dont need a condom, I can just take the morning after pill"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
crabcake said:
While I agree that it shouldn't be too readily available (it'd just add to the sexual irreponsibility that already runs rampant)
So what? Why do I care if some chickie wants to ruin her body by taking a morning-after pill every week? With any luck, it'll render her sterile and we won't have to worry about it anymore.

I'm safely married and don't have to worry about what diseases that cute guy at the bar is harboring. If other people want to play sexual Russian Roulette, they can be my guest.

:shrug:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Somdmommy said:
All this will do is make it so much easier for people to just be lazy. "oh well why take BC everyday when I can just take this"
The biggest one of all: "You dont need a condom, I can just take the morning after pill"

I suspect most people who are sexually irresponsible don't think that way. Your suggestion assumes that they have a bare minimum of forethought, something I think they don't have. They probably don't even think about pregnancy until it happens to them.

Somdmommy

Tonio said:
I suspect most people who are sexually irresponsible don't think that way. Your suggestion assumes that they have a bare minimum of forethought, something I think they don't have. They probably don't even think about pregnancy until it happens to them.
Yeah I guess I did give them a little too much credit huh?