Eyebrow Threading

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
It's a heck of a lot less painful than waxing, a little less than tweezing. Lasts about 3 weeks. There's a Filapeano (sp?) place in DC that does it. Not sure about in the county, but supposedly it's an Asian/Indian way of shaping the brows, so make a few phone calls.

Pandora

In the Washington area, threaders can be found everywhere from posh salons to word-of-mouth home-beauty parlors. Some of our favorites:

Georgetown Aveda. 1325 Wisconsin Ave. NW. 202-965-1325. www.avedageorgetown.com. Abla Shatara, a 20-year veteran, is serious about thread -- she stockpiles her own carefully chosen, 100 percent cotton stash. $25.

Maria's (Beauty) Place. 720 Grant St., Suite F, Herndon. 703-787-9013. www.mariasplace.net. Threading and henna are hits at this salon, which serves mostly Indian American customers. $6.

Nail Studio & Day Spa. 1484 North Point Village Center, Reston. 703-481-6245. www.nailstudioanddayspa.com. Owner Lutfiye Yilmaz has trained all the members of this eight-person staff to thread. $15.

Threads. 1424 L St. NW. 202-737-7710. Don't let the clandestine entranceway scare you; this two-seat salon is sunny and cheerful upstairs. Co-owners Singh and Sonia Kaur do much of the work themselves. $10.

Usha Beauty Salon. 7712-B Hartford Rd., Baltimore. 410-661-8204. When the desperate-to-defuzz post pleas on Indian American Web sites, they're often directed to this salon, which has been threading for over 30 years. $10.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I've never heard of this. But I've been having my eyebrows waxed for so long ... after about the 3rd or 4th trip, it didn't hurt as much anymore ... just got used to it. :shrug:

It sounds like it'd take longer than the typical waxing ... and the time it lasts is about the same. What's the appeal? :confused:

BadGirl said:
I've never had to pluck my eyebrows or get 'em waxed. My eyebrows are perfectly shaped. :diva:
My grandmother never had to shave her legs. She only ever had baby-fine, very light hairs on her legs like pre-teen girls do. Could you imagine never having to mess with shaving your legs?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I use to get this done when I worked in Crystal City. I will not let ANY of these girls in the nail salons wax my eyebrows anymore. I like having eyebrows and I have some beautiful friends that have about half the eyebrows they should due to over waxing. I'll continue to pluck and shave (with an eyebrow razor) myself.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
pixiegirl said:
I use to get this done when I worked in Crystal City. I will not let ANY of these girls in the nail salons wax my eyebrows anymore. I like having eyebrows and I have some beautiful friends that have about half the eyebrows they should due to over waxing. I'll continue to pluck and shave (with an eyebrow razor) myself.
I have scars on both eyebrows so they have been uneven since I was 13 and 14 (two separate incidents). :lol:

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
kwillia said:
My grandmother never had to shave her legs. She only ever had baby-fine, very light hairs on her legs like pre-teen girls do. Could you imagine never having to mess with shaving your legs?
I have that........thankfully because I spend a half hour shaving if I didn't

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
Here is my secret to eyebrows, though probably not healthy. After years of waxing, I took a Q-tip, dipped it in Nair, and shaped my eyebrows ever since. My eyebrow hair is so fine, plucking did not work.