battery sticker shock

bcp

In My Opinion
anyone bought a battery lately?

been about 6 years since I had to buy one, what the hell happened to the price of batteries? used to get one for 29 bucks or so.
I just spent 119.00 for a die hard for my Lincoln Town Car.
Thats like more than the car is worth.

Pandora

bcp said:

been about 6 years since I had to buy one, what the hell happened to the price of batteries? used to get one for 29 bucks or so.

If you think that is bad, just wait until you need ti tir tires. :faint:

bcp

In My Opinion
Pandora said:

I know, I just put a couple on the back of my truck 2 months ago.
10ply,,, about 250 a piece.... and they didnt even use any type of lubricant when they sold them to me.

Pete

Repete
bcp said:

Were you by any chance driving north on 235 and locked up the brakes leaving a huge cloud of smoke?

Pandora

bcp said:
I know, I just put a couple on the back of my truck 2 months ago.
10ply,,, about 250 a piece.... and they didnt even use any type of lubricant when they sold them to me.

I needed 4 of those non-lubricated tires. :bawl:

bcp

In My Opinion
Pete said:
Were you by any chance driving north on 235 and locked up the brakes leaving a huge cloud of smoke?

not that I remember,
but with the beer, pot, heroin, crack and the ho in the passenger seat, I guess its possible.

Pete

Repete
bcp said:
not that I remember,
but with the beer, pot, heroin, crack and the ho in the passenger seat, I guess its possible.
I was going north and up ahead somebody in an older Lincoln must not have been paying attention and the cars in front stopped. He piled on the brakes and created a huge cloud of tire smoke. It was almost NASCAResque :lol:

bcp

In My Opinion
no, wasnt me.
Mine is an 86 that has been garage kept all these years, it just turned 100k.
only time I use it is when I go on a trip longer than a couple hours.

Ill post a pic of it in a bit.
funny thing is, my wife has a Tuscan that she uses to go back and forth to work in, it has a 4 banger in it. The lincoln gets better mileage on the highway by 3 mpg than her "economy" car.
On the highway, I am getting around 24~25 running it at around 70~75 mph.

D

dems4me

bcp said:
no, wasnt me.
Mine is an 86 that has been garage kept all these years, it just turned 100k.
only time I use it is when I go on a trip longer than a couple hours.

Ill post a pic of it in a bit.
funny thing is, my wife has a Tuscan that she uses to go back and forth to work in, it has a 4 banger in it. The lincoln gets better mileage on the highway by 3 mpg than her "economy" car.
On the highway, I am getting around 24~25 running it at around 70~75 mph.

Whats a 4 banger? :smile:

F

Fallen

Pandora said:
:yeahthat: I will be :bawl: all the way to Mr Tire when I have to get them again

bcp

In My Opinion
The car.
and the interior still looks like the day it was purchased new.

Attachments

• car 005.jpg
    car 005.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 111
  • car 006.jpg
    car 006.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 118
T

tikipirate

bcp said:
... funny thing is, my wife has a Tuscan ...

One of those Italian sports cars? My neighbors, the Medicis, had one for a while.

ServiceGuy

The price of tires has gone up just like some other petroleum-based products we all use everyday. As for the price of batteries like any other time the U.S. has been in “War” mode the cost of lead, copper and other metals has gone though the roof. Scrap metals are bringing record prices all in the name of War.

PS
when buying a car battery you only get what you pay for good luck with that $40 battery.

rack'm

Jaded
Hmmmmm..........

Last fall I bought a 850 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps for Dems) battery for $80.......

The battery in our Chevy Venture minivan died back around Christmas. We came out of Target and it wouldn't start.
Darn battery was hidden. Had to break out the owners manual to find out how to jump start it.
After getting it running, we went to AutoZone to price batteries.:yikes: Cheapest battery in the right size was over $100.00. All I bought there was the repair manual for the van.
BJ's didn't even carry the right battery.
WalMart had the right one. About $50.00 if I remember correctly.
Changed the battery the next morning. Had to just about dismantle the entire passenger side of the engine compartment to get to it. It was hidden under the fender brace, which was bolted to the van via a bolt thru the wheelwell. Luckily I was using my air tools to remove the bolt. It was so rusty that I had to use 120psi for 3 full air tank cycles (standard 15G Craftsman shadetree mechanic air compressor) to get it to budge.
Oh how I wish I had a 1980 suburban instead.

huntr1 said:
The battery in our Chevy Venture minivan died back around Christmas. We came out of Target and it wouldn't start.
Darn battery was hidden. Had to break out the owners manual to find out how to jump start it.
After getting it running, we went to AutoZone to price batteries.:yikes: Cheapest battery in the right size was over $100.00. All I bought there was the repair manual for the van.
BJ's didn't even carry the right battery.
WalMart had the right one. About $50.00 if I remember correctly.
Changed the battery the next morning. Had to just about dismantle the entire passenger side of the engine compartment to get to it. It was hidden under the fender brace, which was bolted to the van via a bolt thru the wheelwell. Luckily I was using my air tools to remove the bolt. It was so rusty that I had to use 120psi for 3 full air tank cycles (standard 15G Craftsman shadetree mechanic air compressor) to get it to budge.
Oh how I wish I had a 1980 suburban instead.
Something to think about next time I go to buy a new vehicle. Locate battery.

01mds10

i bought one for my 93 jimmy, that i drive daily a few months ago. i think i payed 50 bucks for it. my s10, i only buy the optima red tops for it. the stock battery didn't keep charge with my system, so i bought a higher CCA battery, thats also dry cell. think i paid 110 for it.