Pontoon boat

beerlover

What is the opinion on pontoon boats for local river/bay use? We want to get a boat, but one that we will get the most family enjoyment out of. We don't really think floating around on a little runabout/bowrider all day would be the best. We were considering a sailboat so the kids could get out of the sun and take naps, etc., but I am not a strong sailor. Can a pontoon boat with say a 40hp outboard handle the bay?

beerlover said:
What is the opinion on pontoon boats for local river/bay use? We want to get a boat, but one that we will get the most family enjoyment out of. We don't really think floating around on a little runabout/bowrider all day would be the best. We were considering a sailboat so the kids could get out of the sun and take naps, etc., but I am not a strong sailor. Can a pontoon boat with say a 40hp outboard handle the bay?
Not on a rough day. I see them mainly in the rivers.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Pontoons a re made to basically just float around at slow paces, in calm waters, they are also used to "party" boats... its not really something you would want to take out in the bay, or put a 40hp motor on, most people dont go over 15hp with them......

But its your boat, so you do what you'd like :yay:

As for the kids, kids like to go fast, bounce around, maybe a 20 some foot center console or something, not sure your price range though....

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
We don't really think floating around on a little runabout/bowrider all day would be the best.
With tidal flow, winds and waves we have around here you wouldn't have to worry about that on a pontoon boat. :lmao:

beerlover said:
I've seen them cruising offshore at Ocean City.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
beerlover said:
Water Taxi company use to use them in the inner harbor.. until a wind gust flipped one over and killed several people..

http://www.washingtontimes.com/metro/20040307-111820-8323r.htm

I wouldn't buy one for use around these parts.. there's a reason you don't see many of them around here except for work boats.

There is only one positive to a pontoon boat, they are CHEAP..

Last edited:

Mikeinsmd

desertrat said:
Softballkid said:
Pontoons a re made to basically just float around at slow paces, in calm waters, they are also used to "party" boats... its not really something you would want to take out in the bay, or put a 40hp motor on, most people dont go over 15hp with them......

Not quite true kid, sorry.

http://www.trackermarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.suntracker_regency
:yeahthat: A Pontoon boat would be ok for the Patuxent but not the bay or the Potomac unless it's a calm day. They are very light and don't need a lot of horsepower to really go. 70 to 100 HP is more than enough for a fun day.

If you're worried about a place for kids to sleep, you can get one like Elaine posted or they come with a bimini top but when it's potty time, you have no privacy.

Pontoons are cheap but a cuddy cabin type is more practical for kids. Go 19' minimum.

P.S. there's nothing to do in the bay so you'll stay in the river anyway.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
You can buy a party boat.. flat topped, grill the whole nine yards on a regular V shaped boat hull.. I think the boat rental place on Solomons has one. MUCH safer in rougher water, and high winds.. No WING for the wind to get under and take you over..

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Look into a "deck boat". It's sort of a modified V/ tri hull it combines the large area of a pontoon with the agility and speed of a bowrider. It sits lower in the water so it's easier to climb in when swimming etc. The perfect "gunkhole" boat.

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
kom526 said:
Look into a "deck boat". It's sort of a modified V/ tri hull it combines the large area of a pontoon with the agility and speed of a bowrider. It sits lower in the water so it's easier to climb in when swimming etc. The perfect "gunkhole" boat.
:yeahthat: My old supervisor had one. They have a fiberglass tri-hull.His had a 155 on it and at 26" long, he could pull skis, tubes and anything else you want to put behind him. He!!, he even ran a trotline out of it.