Coin Collecting

unixpirate

Pitty Party
Anyone know of a credible place I can have some coins looked at?

Here is an example.

You see the one, JFK is raised off the coin. Same on the back with the Eagle.

Attachments

• DSC001425.JPG
    DSC001425.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC001435.JPG
    DSC001435.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 156

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
There used to be a place up in Silver Spring, but the owner died a year or so ago and I'm not certain whether or not it's still there.

unixpirate

Pitty Party
Club'nBabySeals said:
There used to be a place up in Silver Spring, but the owner died a year or so ago and I'm not certain whether or not it's still there.

I was kinda of looking around the Southern Maryland area.

I guess I can google 'eh? :lol:

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
unixpirate said:
I was kinda of looking around the Southern Maryland area.

I guess I can google 'eh? :lol:

There's such a narrow market for that kind of stuff that I'd be surprised if you found anything in SOMD; but it's certainly worth a shot. Good luck!

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
There is a coin appraiser that comes down to the Garvey Center in the Gov Center complex on the first and third Tuesday of the month. I think he's there from 9 to 12.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
unixpirate said:
You see the one, JFK is raised off the coin. Same on the back with the Eagle.
I don't think coins from the Franklin Mint have the same collectable value as a "real" U.S. coin.

unixpirate

Pitty Party
FancyBelle said:
There is a coin appraiser that comes down to the Garvey Center in the Gov Center complex on the first and third Tuesday of the month. I think he's there from 9 to 12.

Thank you FB :huggy:

fttrsbeerwench

Steve McGee at Gloria's pawn shop on Great Mills Rd. across from Mike's bikes.

Typically, it's just a matter of looking it up in a book. So you may be able to look it up in a Kovel's online collecting guide or call the library and see if they have one.

I have a penny with the outline of NewJersey stamped on it.. I've never seen it in a book, and no one I've met can tell me with any certainty if it was minted that way or not.:ohwell:

D

dems4me

aps45819 said:
It's steel, not copper. They did that for a couple of years during WWII.

I gathered that much :lol: Youcan buy them really cheap on ebay, I bought about 50 of them a few years ago and they were relatively cheap (10.00) -thats why I was wondering about it -- has the value gone up on them any??? Sorry, I didnt phrase my qustion correctly. If memory serves, there was only one year that particular wheatie was made in steel (1943??) - thats why I bouht some, but the value on those has yet to sky rocket. BTW,a tip/trick on shinning up the old wheaties or anything copper ... take some salt and lemon to it, rub it and rinse and it'll practically sparkle as new. Just dont leave the salt and lemon on to long because it'll wear off all the raised surfaces and writting, etcc:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
dems4me said:
BTW,a tip/trick on shinning up the old wheaties or anything copper ... take some salt and lemon to it, rub it and rinse and it'll practically sparkle as new. Just dont leave the salt and lemon on to long because it'll wear off all the raised surfaces and writting, etcc:smile:
:nono: Do NOT do this to collectible coins or any other valuable antique. You will destroy much of its value if you take off the natural patina:

Question : What is the best way to clean pennies and silver dollars? Also, I recently obtained a large group of wheat pennies. If I find one that is valuable, should it be cleaned or should I leave it the way it is?
Answer : Well, first of all, you do NOT want to clean your coins. If they have any value, you will destroy their value if you clean your coins. Collectors will often bypass a cleaned coin at any price, simply because it has been cleaned and no longer looks natural.

When you clean a coin, you remove metal from its surface, whether you clean it by scrubbing it or if you use chemicals on it. Also, if you scrub or rub or polish your coin, you will leave scratch marks on the surface of the coin -- very bad for its value.

http://www.workingmancoins.com/FAQ/

When in doubt, just leave it alone.

Hessian

Chesapeake Flea Market

Mark at the Flea Market has a collection of the imprinted coins-knows values & is very honest.
He's in St Leonard on the weekends and has a fine collection.
Sorry, don't have a phone number but...he's your local expert on the Kennedy imprint.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
There is a reputable coin dealer near downtown Annapolis on Old Solomon's Island Road between Forest Drive and Somerville Road. Annapolis Coin Exchange 410-266-2530.