Ferrets and hamsters

somd whisper

My son has a wild passion for ferrets. We now have two. They are so adorable. I have to admit that I like them much more than I first thougt I would.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Ferrets smell bad. We had one for awhile. She was descented and bathed frequently, but the smell made me hurl.

somd whisper

BS Gal said:
Ferrets smell bad. We had one for awhile. She was descented and bathed frequently, but the smell made me hurl.

We only bath ours once a month because the more you bath them the more they glands produce the smell....or something like that. We also use this spray just for ferrets that smells great, and has conditioners in it that is good for they dry skin

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
somd whisper said:
We only bath ours once a month because the more you bath them the more they glands produce the smell....or something like that. We also use this spray just for ferrets that smells great, and has conditioners in it that is good for they dry skin
I don't care what you do to them. They stink. You probably don't notice the smell because you are used to it, but others that come to your home notice it, I'll bet.

somd whisper

My daughter has only one small hamster, but we might look into getting another one. Not sure if they can be introduced to each other right away though.

Does anyone else have a ferret or hamster?

somd whisper

BS Gal said:
I don't care what you do to them. They stink. You probably don't notice the smell because you are used to it, but others that come to your home notice it, I'll bet.

Maybe you are right...thanks for the comment. Do you have ferrets or do you just not like them???

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
somd whisper said:
Maybe you are right...thanks for the comment. Do you have ferrets or do you just not like them???
We had one. I absolutely thought it was the cutest little critter in the world, but I could NOT get past the smell, so we had to get rid of her. I'm kind of a clean freak.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
somd whisper said:
Rose Red and Nomoney what a pleasure it is to see you again. Did you guys come in because you have a ferret or a Hamster?

:lmao: That was funny.

somd whisper

BS Gal said:
We had one. I absolutely thought it was the cutest little critter in the world, but I could NOT get past the smell, so we had to get rid of her. I'm kind of a clean freak.

We have a finished basement so I devoted that room to them. I have to clean it up 2-3 times a day but it it worth it. They are just so adorable.

nomoney

somd whisper said:
Rose Red and Nomoney what a pleasure it is to see you again. Did you guys come in because you have a ferret or a Hamster?

yes i did...but was confused because you never said anything about hamsters in your first post.

hamsters really like to be alone when they're older....so if you have one....I'd stick with one unless you're getting a seperate cage.

ferret smell is awlful also. There is nothing you can do to totally get rid of it.

Ponytail

nomoney said:
...ferret smell is awlful also. There is nothing you can do to totally get rid of it.

Yea there is. It's called a "bath". And for their bedding, I gave it a treatment in a, get this, a "Washing Machine". :wink:

PrepH4U

somd whisper said:
whoops slowly backing up, didn't realize you needed a rodent to read or comment.... nevermind... forget you saw me in this private forum.

(tip toe tip toe)

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Ponytail said:
Yea there is. It's called a "bath". And for their bedding, I gave it a treatment in a, get this, a "Washing Machine". :wink:
Maybe we bathed the one we had too often?

somd whisper

BS Gal said:
Maybe we bathed the one we had too often?

That is what our vet told us and I did some research online and it backed it up. I have friends that have dogs, cats and so on and they have somewhat of a smell to them as well but that is too be expected.

somd whisper

nomoney said:
yes i did...but was confused because you never said anything about hamsters in your first post.

hamsters really like to be alone when they're older....so if you have one....I'd stick with one unless you're getting a seperate cage.

ferret smell is awlful also. There is nothing you can do to totally get rid of it.

Thanks for the tip... if we do get a second one I will have to get a separate cage. I really don't get bothered by the ferrets though, maybe I am immune.
Do you not have yours anymore?