CT on the Head Anyone?

Angel

~*~*~
Okay, who has had a CT with contrast? What the hell should I expect? I have been banned by the man, family, and friends from all medical websites (because I'm always certain that I have the worst possible diagnoses) other wise I would have looked this up myself.

Sincerely,
Your Forum Hypochondriac

joedancer

bookman
I had an MRI on my head to determine if some of the hearing loss I was experiencing was related to any internal problems. Piece of cake! Takes about 40 minutes. You can listen to music if you wish. I would suggest you bring your own for them to play.
Joe

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
A CT scan isn't bad at all. It's a donut-like ring that passes over your body. I've had CT scans with contrast of several areas of my body and they give you a shot of dye. (Actually, I think the dye is something with iodine in it. ) The dye makes you feel warm all over, almost like you've peed your pants, but it goes away after a minute or two.

You'll get the CT scan first and then they will do the injection of dye (contrast) and then they do the CT scan again.

It's a piece of cake...and I'm a nut. :crazy:

MRIs are a bit different....you actually go into a "tube" and if you are claustrophobic, you're in trouble.

Last edited:

joedancer

bookman
Found some further information for you:

Both MRI and CT make cross-sectional images (slices) of almost any area of the body using a sophisticated computer system. The major difference is that while an MRI uses a large magnet and radio waves to produce images, a CT scanner uses ionizing radiation. With the MRI studies, there is no exposure to ionizing radiation and there are no known side effects. Both systems complement each other well as they both have their inherent strengths and weaknesses. CT, however, can only directly acquire transverse and coronal images, whereas MRI can directly acquire slices in any plane and is superior when it comes to soft tissue contrast.-

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
A CT scan isn't bad at all. It's a donut-like ring that passes over your body. I've had CT scans with contrast of several areas of my body and they give you a shot of dye. (Actually, I think the dye is something with iodine in it. ) The dye makes you feel warm all over, almost like you've peed your pants, but it goes away after a minute or two.

You'll get the CT scan first and then they will do the injection of dye (contrast) and then they do the CT scan again.

It's a piece of cake...and I'm a nut. :crazy:

MRIs are a bit different....you actually go into a "tube" and if you are claustrophobic, you're in trouble.
:yeahthat: What she said! :lmao:

willie

I had to get a brain scan after reading too many of JPC Sr's posts. I've got a small piece of shrapnel in the back of the skull and it got a little warm but other than that, no problem.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Fred Hoeck said:
Just make sure you are not alergic to the dye. There is an alternative dye, but still some alergic to it.

Generally, if you're allergic to shellfish you can have a proble with the dye.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Mri

Just got scheduled for a MRI of my head.
I wonder if there is anything in there.
They did a CT scan last night and didn't find anything.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
DoWhat said:
Just got scheduled for a MRI of my head.
I wonder if there is anything in there.
They did a CT scan last night and didn't find anything.
:huggy: That explains everything.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
cattitude said:
Generally, if you're allergic to shellfish you can have a proble with the dye.

I'm not allergic to anything but the contrast make me :barf: for some strange reason. Other than that, easy peasy.

Angel

~*~*~
I survived my CT Scan! :diva: That was easy and I didn't even have to go in a tube! It was the open donut shaped machine. The contrast injection was weird though. Felt weird, smelled weird, and tasted weird. now we wait for the results... :tap::cheers:

Last edited:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Angel said:
I survived my CT Scan! :diva: That was easy and I didn't even have to go in a tube! It was the open donut shaped machine. The contrast injection was weird though. Felt weird, smelled weird, and tasted weird. now we wait for the results... :tap::cheers:

:yay: CT scans aren't in the tube...that's the MRI. Hope your results are okay.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Couldn't doit

I failed the MRI.

Tried twice and started having an anxiety attack.

I asked if I could go and drink a six pack, and they said no.