Need a recipe

We're going to a party this weekend that will be on a beach. I need to bring something that won't spoil or melt. I am thinking of making this, but I'm not 100% sure it won't spoil in the heat?

Spicy Bean Salsa

1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 (4 ounce) can diced jalapeno peppers
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup Italian-style salad dressing
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

In a medium bowl, combine black-eyed peas, black beans, corn, onion, green bell pepper, jalapeno peppers and tomatoes. Season with Italian-style salad dressing and garlic salt; mix well. Cover, and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors.

Any ideas???

Atir211

A big ole bowl of fresh fruit salad is always good - and won't go bad. Better kept chilled but still good.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Before you go, I suggest chopping a bunch of fresh cilantro and mixing it in, then spreading more on top, as well as spring onions... :yay:

(And for the onion in the recipe, I'd use red)

virgovictoria said:
Before you go, I suggest chopping a bunch of fresh cilantro and mixing it in, then spreading more on top, as well as spring onions... :yay:

(And for the onion in the recipe, I'd use red)

Thanks! I do use the red onion in it. Whenever I've made this salsa, it's been a hit. Everyone asks for the recipe. The cilantro suggestion is a very good one! I'll try it. :yay:

As for the fruit suggestion, I'll have to think about that one (I'm not much on fruit).

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Speedy70 said:
Thanks! I do use the red onion in it. Whenever I've made this salsa, it's been a hit. Everyone asks for the recipe. The cilantro suggestion is a very good one! I'll try it. :yay:

As for the fruit suggestion, I'll have to think about that one (I'm not much on fruit).
It doesn't appear to have anything that would "spoil", so to speak... You could always put it in the freezer for an hour (not to freeze - just to chill) before you leave and use an insulated container if you have one to keep it fresh...

A double bowl (bottom one iced with a cloth over it) usually works if you don't have an insulated serving bowl for hot/cold carrying...

Sounds yummy - I'll try it some time!!!

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I have a set of nestled bowls (that stack inside each other) and whenever I prepare something that should be cold or I worry about spoiling, I place the item in one of the bowls and then place it in two sizes up bowl with crushed ice around it. That way I already have my lids and everything and I know it fits and I don't worry about it going bad.

Sounds like a good recipe.

greyhound

Speedy70 said:
We're going to a party this weekend that will be on a beach. I need to bring something that won't spoil or melt. I am thinking of making this, but I'm not 100% sure it won't spoil in the heat?

Spicy Bean Salsa

1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 (4 ounce) can diced jalapeno peppers
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup Italian-style salad dressing
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

In a medium bowl, combine black-eyed peas, black beans, corn, onion, green bell pepper, jalapeno peppers and tomatoes. Season with Italian-style salad dressing and garlic salt; mix well. Cover, and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors.

Any ideas???

That stuff is great. My hubby makes it all the time. Its called "Red Neck Caviar". We got the recipe from a cookbook by Paula Deen.

I know this advice is to late for your party, but Pampered Chef makes a bowl that you put in the freezer. Has liquid between the layers of the bowl. It works great to keep foods cold.

follow link and click on "Chillzanne bowls"

http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_products/catalog/product.jsp?productId=253&categoryCode=ET

Last edited:
greyhound said:
That stuff is great. My hubby makes it all the time. Its called "Red Neck Caviar". We got the recipe from a cookbook by Paula Deen.

I know this advice is to late for your party, but Pampered Chef makes a bowl that you put in the freezer. Has liquid between the layers of the bowl. It works great to keep foods cold.

follow link and click on "Chillzanne bowls"

http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_products/catalog/product.jsp?productId=253&categoryCode=ET

Hey thanks. I think I'll buy one of those. :yay:

You're not so bad for a girl that used to wear a blue vest with gold fringe. :jet:

virgovictoria said:
It doesn't appear to have anything that would "spoil", so to speak... You could always put it in the freezer for an hour (not to freeze - just to chill) before you leave and use an insulated container if you have one to keep it fresh...

A double bowl (bottom one iced with a cloth over it) usually works if you don't have an insulated serving bowl for hot/cold carrying...

Sounds yummy - I'll try it some time!!!

TYVM!

It is very good! But make sure to make it a day ahead of time to let the flavors 'mingle'.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Speedy70 said:
We're going to a party this weekend that will be on a beach. I need to bring something that won't spoil or melt.

Any ideas???

Can't go wrong with beer and chips! :shrug:

greyhound

Speedy70 said:
Hey thanks. I think I'll buy one of those. :yay:

You're not so bad for a girl that used to wear a blue vest with gold fringe. :jet:

My Mom still has those vests. I need to take a pic of one and post it.