Proactive????????

gigi6

Hi Guys!

Okay......had a hysterectomy 3 years ago. I was left with one ovary (which works only part-time).

My face breaks out every once in a while. Would using "Proactive" work for me or not? If not, what do you use?

I am SO TIRED of trying to "fix my face", whether its oily, sensitive or full of ZITS (when the one ovary left is working).

Forumites - Give me your advice! Also - which makeup do you use to help keep your breakouts in check?

Thanks - in advance!

Nanny Pam

I use "Bare Minerals." Never a problem with it. As far as the Proactive goes....I've never actually tried it....no need to. I have heard it works better than anything on the market, unless you have a prescription from your Dermatologist.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I use it and it works very well for me. :yay: I have the occasional breakout, and Proactive cleared my skin right up. I stopped using it though :)stupid:) because I thought that since I'd cleared my skin up, I was good to go. Not the case. :lol: I'm switching back and will use it as a preventative as well. :yay:

R

residentofcre

My daughter uses it too... worth every penny....

I think we got a coupon on line too... helped with the initial trial period...

cdsulhoff

I think I might try this.. I do not really suffer from Acne, however when I get closer to my monthly I tend to have a little break out around my chin and my temple..Other than that I have pretty much clear skin.. The cleaner looks go for any age. I knew I should of gotten this a while ago. I just could not get pass the Jessica commercial..Hearing some of you makes me curious about the product.

awwwsnap

I started using bare minerals about 2 years ago and it worked great. I had dry skin and had never really had a single zit my entire life UNTIL..... I hit 29 last year and my fair skinned face started to get acne all over my cheeks. So I stopped using Bare Escentuals and thought maybe that was it, with no success, then I ordered Proactiv and used it for about 6 months with no success either. It kind of got a little better for the first month and went down hill from there. So I stopped using proactiv and now use Cetaphil for about a month, and I notice my skin getting a bit better, but not where I want it to be. So maybe try Cetaphil cleansing bar first and if that does not work move on to Proactiv. Maybe it will work for you like it has for the others that posted.

Pandora

awwwsnap said:
I started using bare minerals about 2 years ago and it worked great. I had dry skin and had never really had a single zit my entire life UNTIL..... I hit 29 last year and my fair skinned face started to get acne all over my cheeks. So I stopped using Bare Escentuals and thought maybe that was it, with no success, then I ordered Proactiv and used it for about 6 months with no success either. It kind of got a little better for the first month and went down hill from there. So I stopped using proactiv and now use Cetaphil for about a month, and I notice my skin getting a bit better, but not where I want it to be. So maybe try Cetaphil cleansing bar first and if that does not work move on to Proactiv. Maybe it will work for you like it has for the others that posted.

This is called adult onset acne. My dermatologist told me it is the hardest type of acne to treat.

Gigi,

I’m sure a great deal of your problems has to do with hormones. I had a partial hysterectomy when I was in my early 20’s, but I dealt with the breakouts by going tanning. Of course I’m not recommending that, but when I found out I was pregnant with son #1, I stopped going.

I had issues with breakouts after #1 son was born, but it cleared up about a year later. After son #2, I never really had any clearing. It got so bad I had to go to the dermatologist. You have to give Proactive at least 2 months to work for you. I had some clearing but my problems were too serious and I had to eventually resort to Acutane.

If the Proactive doesn’t work for you, don’t hesitate going to the dermatologist. (I waited until my mid-30's to see treatment :ohwell:)

They have a laser light procedure that will cure surface acne and works pretty well with Retin A. Actuane should be the LAST resort, but even if you have to resort to using it, it isn’t nearly as bad as the horror stories say it is. In fact, I am just starting month #3 of a 6-month treatment and I have had CONSIDERABLE clearing.

I thought Proactive was the best OTC product I had tried and I tried TONS of them.

marianne

You should give proactiv a shot. It's a good OTC product, a little better or maybe about the same as similar products you'd find in stores. I've found using it as originally directed was drying my skin out so I use it less often than they suggest. Also, you can pick and choose which proactiv products you want to buy. Some products I like better than others and I get those instead of the three items they usually push. You won't know how it works for you unti you actually try it out.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I think the kicker with Proactiv is that it contains Benzoyl Peroxide. A lot of the drugstore stuff has Salicylic Acid and Glycolic Acid. Both work fine, for some people, but neither worked real well for me in the past. Salicylic Acid doesn't work for me, and Glycolic Acid works after awhile. The Benzoyl Peroxide clears my skin up literally in a day. I say give it a shot. If it doesn't work, they'll refund the price of the product. :yay:

minihaha

My niece uses Proactive and she thinks it's great. She said it really cleared up her face.

On the other hand, I never really noticed that there was anything wrong with her face.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
I have been using this for about six weeks now. I tried the "normal" kit and it worked for the first two weeks and then I had areas starting to breakout and not clear up. I called them back to cancel but the girl on the phone said that they have a kit for "stubborn acne" and it is not commonly known to the public because everyone with think they need the stronger one instead. I kept on using the "normal" kit until my new extra strengh kit arrived.

I received my extra strength kit on Tues of this week. The breakouts I had are now gone and no new signs of any more :yahoo:

Just wanted to share.

BrassieChic

jwwb2000 said:
I have been using this for about six weeks now. I tried the "normal" kit and it worked for the first two weeks and then I had areas starting to breakout and not clear up. I called them back to cancel but the girl on the phone said that they have a kit for "stubborn acne" and it is not commonly known to the public because everyone with think they need the stronger one instead. I kept on using the "normal" kit until my new extra strengh kit arrived.

I received my extra strength kit on Tues of this week. The breakouts I had are now gone and no new signs of any more :yahoo:

Just wanted to share.

I WANT SOME..I want some... :cartwheel

Cowgirl

I've been on it for about a month now...I LOVE it. Within a few days I noticed a huge difference. My skin was much smoother and cleaner looking. I never had bad acne, just breakouts here and there....especially leading up to Aunt Flo's visit....but not this time!!! It works very well. My sister suggested I try it, because she had good results with it too!