Southern Maryland Disaster History

Hessian

Time to tap into the memory of our longer dwelling members of So Md. and find out how many times in the past couple decades have we had sections of So Md declared a disaster zone.

Add to this list:
Hurricane Juan Nov 1985
Ice storm Jan-Feb 1994
Ice Storm Feb 1996 (?)
Hurricane____ September 1999 (?)
Tornado April 2002

I know I'm missing a few...take me back into the 60's 70's
This is not just a trivia contest...
I'm just curious if our ever-civic minded Builders are aware of this area's reputation.

Last edited:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
The Ice Storm was Feb '93; my electric was out for a whole week.  Even after they announced that all the power had been restored eveywhere, they forgot my street and it took them 2 more days to get to it.  I remember the hurricane (1998 or 99?), as our road was a disaster area in itself, with all the trees down; three neighbors had trees thru their roofs.  Hurricane Hugo was in 1989 but I don't remember it being a disaster.  I came here in early '82 and I remember the huge snowstorm we got later that year, had a big one in '79 also.

Hurricane Juan '85 doesn't even ring a bell.  

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I believe that was Hurricane Floyd in 1999.  The huge tree in my neighbors yard across the street uprooted and landed on his garage.  Unfortunately, his truck was in it....  It *barely* missed the house.  Ripped a screen on the side and that was it.  VERY close call.  

We had three trees go down in our back yard.  I had to call my husband home from work to get the dog cable-run detached from the deck before a tree landed on it and torn up the deck.  

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
The worst Ice storms down here were Jan-Feb of 1994. I remember them well because I was working in them restoring power.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Hurricane Gloria, 1985
Hurricane Fran, 1996
Hurricane Isabel, 2003
Hurrican Ernesto, 2006

ftcret

Time to tap into the memory of our longer dwelling members of So Md. and find out how many times in the past couple decades have we had sections of So Md declared a disaster zone.

I am surprised this place wasn't classified as a disaster area on
March 25, 1634 and renewed as such every year since.

dan0623_2000

Disaster

God help us if a full flegged cat 3 hurricane ever hits this area again. I believe the last one was around 1952. The ones mentioned here have only been mild tropical strorms at the most when they passed thru the area. Please don't kid yourself about the gov't being prepared to step in and imediately help you. BE PREPARED to take care of yourself and your family for at least a week or two.

tipsymcgee

IIRC Hazel was in '54 and pretty bad, Agnes in mid '70s was also bad. Those two were worse than any since, though Isabel's surge was the worst of all my family says. Had no power during the ice storm for a full week also.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The ones mentioned here have only been mild tropical strorms at the most when they passed thru the area. .

Isabel in '03: 5.5' flood tide that covered 90% of my property and with sustained winds around 55-60 mph with gusts to 90.

Ernesto in '06: 5' even flood tide that covered 50% of my property and we saw sustained winds at nearly 70 mph and for a longer time than during Isabel.

Mild? Depends on where ya where at the time, I guess.:whistle:

Isabel in '03: 5.5' flood tide that covered 90% of my property and with sustained winds around 55-60 mph with gusts to 90.

Ernesto in '06: 5' even flood tide that covered 50% of my property and we saw sustained winds at nearly 70 mph and for a longer time than during Isabel.

Mild? Depends on where ya where at the time, I guess.:whistle:

Yeah, I guess low level and waterfront property is a bit risky. No one ever told you that?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yeah, I guess low level and waterfront property is a bit risky. No one ever told you that?

Didn't need anyone to tell me that; grew up with it. Figgered out 50 years ago that its just 'normal'. Boats do sink..water does rise and the wind will blow. :killingme