Sea nettles

Lilypad

There are indications that the annual infestation of jellyfish in Chesapeake Bay waters is worse this year than in prior years.
An overabundance of jellyfish in the Chesapeake Bay is causing problems for power plants in Maryland. According to reports filed with the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, jellyfish have clogged intake pumps three times this month at the Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant in Calvert County, Md.

On July 7, an influx of jellyfish in a pump that circulates cooling water forced the plant to reduce the power output of its Unit 1 to 41 percent of capacity.
Jellyfish are not the only marine species recently to beset the Calvert Cliffs power plant. The plant reported Tuesday to the NRC that 150 to 200 cow-nosed rays had died on trash racks protecting water intakes of both units. "The apparent cause was low oxygen levels in the Bay water," the report said.

Interesting web site:

http://coastwatch.noaa.gov/seanettles/

Lavendar

My two boys and a friend got stung a couple of weeks ago by a jellyfish pack over in the bay by CRE. Scared the crap outta all of us. They were in such pain.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Lavendar said:
My two boys and a friend got stung a couple of weeks ago by a jellyfish pack over in the bay by CRE. Scared the crap outta all of us. They were in such pain.
Did you pee on them?

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
You can get sunscreen that repells the jellyfish. I think there's a dive shop in Solomons that sells it...

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
Oz said:
You can get sunscreen that repells the jellyfish. I think there's a dive shop in Solomons that sells it...

I bought some from drugstore.com last year before vacation. It's called Safe Sea Sunblock and it sells for like $10. It says it deactivates the Jellyfish's stinging mechanism.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I always would use a mess of sand on the sting and rinse it off after packing it on, don't rub. It would absorb the jelly and get it off the skin. And then use Adolf's meat tenderizer on it. Seemed to help back when I was a kid.

Tidbit, letting jellyfish dry to dust makes an excellent itching powder to torment others with. :biggrin:

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Ken King said:
I always would use a mess of sand on the sting and rinse it off after packing it on, don't rub. It would absorb the jelly and get it off the skin. And then use Adolf's meat tenderizer on it. Seemed to help back when I was a kid.

Tidbit, letting jellyfish dry to dust makes an excellent itching powder to torment others with. :biggrin:

They had jellyfish back then? :killingme :killingme :killingme
I think the jellyfish dust doesn't work too good until you sweat....Then you itch and burn like he!!... :lmao:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Ken King said:
:shocked: Since they are 95% water, how many jellies must one sacrifice to make one dose of powder?

onebdzee

off the shelf
Ken King said:

:yeahthat:

I grew up in the Tidewater area and there were always a massive amount of jellys in the Bay....the lifeguards that were on the beach would do this to the "vacationers" all summer

PJay

Mikeinsmd said:
You find THAT pretty? :confused: :lmao:

:blushing: Not the picture actually, but up close and personal covering the beach they look like blue bubbles. I'm fond of blue.