Sun stroke....

Hessian

I was down at a reenactment near Williamsburg yesterday and I planned carefully to avoid sun stroke: 2 bananas (potassium)...frozen gatorade (1 quart) light lunch and seeking shade when available...and a pint of cranbury juice.

Did the march and battle, cooled off in the AC of my truck afterward but still lost my stomach by 4 pm and spent 2 hrs in a cool hotel room flat on my back to get 50% of my energy back.

I packed up and got home this morning: So: what can I do to prevent future sunstroke? I have been down this road before and thought I took all the precautions. what did I miss?
We lost over 20 guys needing medical assistance yesterday: Probably more dropped today.

Rule #1: No more summer reenactments in Virginia!

K says that once you get sunstroke, your body is less able to regulate body temperature. So the only other thing to do is to limit exposure.
:yay: I know that isn't what you want to hear, but there you go.

oldman

Lobster Land
Hessian said:
I was down at a reenactment near Williamsburg yesterday and I planned carefully to avoid sun stroke: 2 bananas (potassium)...frozen gatorade (1 quart) light lunch and seeking shade when available...and a pint of cranbury juice.

Did the march and battle, cooled off in the AC of my truck afterward but still lost my stomach by 4 pm and spent 2 hrs in a cool hotel room flat on my back to get 50% of my energy back.

I packed up and got home this morning: So: what can I do to prevent future sunstroke? I have been down this road before and thought I took all the precautions. what did I miss?
We lost over 20 guys needing medical assistance yesterday: Probably more dropped today.

Hate to say it but you're not getting any younger and your body isn't the same as it was 10 or 20 years ago. Things change and you've just got to adapt to those changes.

Lilypad

Sorry-Didn't mean to be flip! :huggy:
You're doing the right things-most importantly-HYDRATE..HYDRATE..HYDRATE!
The scary thing is "sometimes" a heart attack can mimic a heat stroke! :yikes:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Hessian said:

All you had were these three pints of fluid? You should have been downing lots of water beyond the juices.

willie

Ken King said:
All you had were these three pints of fluid? You should have been downing lots of water beyond the juices.
:yeahthat:
I'm not sure that Gatorade isn't just a marketing ploy about those electrolytes but regardless, you needed much, much more water than you downed. You weren't even close.