Pregnant Guppies

JTross

JTross
I was wondering if anyone knew, but I have a tank of the fancy tail guppies and I've noticed that the females (I have about 6 or 7 females) have these black clusters in their bellies... Does anyone know if that means they are pregnant. I know some fish have babies and others lay eggs but I wasn't sure which ones did what. If those black clusters in their bellies mean their pregnant I'm going to have ALOT of baby guppies...

JTross

JTross
aps45819 said:
Don't worry about it. The fathers will eat them so they don't have to pay child support.

Oh really? I never knew, I'm new at the whole fish tank deal... They really eat their own babies?!

SamSpade

JTross said:
Oh really? I never knew, I'm new at the whole fish tank deal... They really eat their own babies?!

As Dave Barry once observed - "she may be your mom, but she's still a fish". Lots of fish eat their own young just as easily as they eat any other young. They have no emotional attachment - they have no emotions at all.

I used to have this tank with crayfish - and the mom had baby crayfish. Dozens of them. Well, then maybe forty of them. Well, maybe twenty of them - well, maybe ten. Every time they molted - shed their shells, which is very often when they are young - either their mom would eat them or their siblings would. Eventually, they stopped eating each other by the time they were fully grown, but by that time there were only about five left.

Still, guppies multiply so fast it's not unusual to have a tank simply teeming with them. I had a buddy with a ten gallon tank and he must have had close to a hundred in there.

JTross

JTross
SamSpade said:
As Dave Barry once observed - "she may be your mom, but she's still a fish". Lots of fish eat their own young just as easily as they eat any other young. They have no emotional attachment - they have no emotions at all.

I used to have this tank with crayfish - and the mom had baby crayfish. Dozens of them. Well, then maybe forty of them. Well, maybe twenty of them - well, maybe ten. Every time they molted - shed their shells, which is very often when they are young - either their mom would eat them or their siblings would. Eventually, they stopped eating each other by the time they were fully grown, but by that time there were only about five left.

Still, guppies multiply so fast it's not unusual to have a tank simply teeming with them. I had a buddy with a ten gallon tank and he must have had close to a hundred in there.

Oh wow! I have been looking around in the tank but I haven't seen anything. But there is one in the tank and she looks like she's just going to blow up... Maybe a few will survive. I think it would be pretty fascinating to actually see her have them, lol until they get eaten... Guess its just a part of nature huh?!

JTross

JTross
aps45819 said:
Yes
Go to google.com and search on guppies + babies
You'll get all kind of info.

I will definitely have to look into it. I would like to see a few survive lol. But it doesn't seem like thats very likely!

suzeQ

Occasional User
A pet store should have a device that might help, if you don't want to risk losing all of the babies. We had a small 'tank within a tank' sort of thing that you put the mom-to-be in. It hangs on to the edge of the tank, but has slots on the bottom. Ideally, when she delivers, the babies slip through the slots so she can't get to them. If you have more than one adult in the tank, you may have to put several in this smaller compartment. We usually had one tank as the 'maternity ward.' When a mommy Guppy was ready to deliver, we would move her to that tank, within the smaller compartment. After she delivered, she could go back into the big tank. The babies were moved in with the others after a few weeks, when they too big for the others to easily gobble in one bite.

It is quite interesting to watch, but I remember crying when I found out that the mommy would not deliver the babies again after eating them.

Good luck.

JTross

JTross
suzeQ said:
A pet store should have a device that might help, if you don't want to risk losing all of the babies. We had a small 'tank within a tank' sort of thing that you put the mom-to-be in. It hangs on to the edge of the tank, but has slots on the bottom. Ideally, when she delivers, the babies slip through the slots so she can't get to them. If you have more than one adult in the tank, you may have to put several in this smaller compartment. We usually had one tank as the 'maternity ward.' When a mommy Guppy was ready to deliver, we would move her to that tank, within the smaller compartment. After she delivered, she could go back into the big tank. The babies were moved in with the others after a few weeks, when they too big for the others to easily gobble in one bite.

It is quite interesting to watch, but I remember crying when I found out that the mommy would not deliver the babies again after eating them.

Good luck.

Hmmm, I might have to check into that. I would like to see a few survive. Is there any obvious details that I could pay attention to kind of tell when she was going to deliver. I mean she is realllyyyy fat, and I've noticed the cluster has gotten much bigger... I wish I could see her deliver, I just think it would be interesting to watch. Any suggestions?

SamSpade

My buddy with the hundred guppy tank DID have one thing, now that I recall - he had some floating plants at the top where the babies could hide from momma and their older siblings - and feed.

jaie

So happy!
JTross said:
Hmmm, I might have to check into that. I would like to see a few survive. Is there any obvious details that I could pay attention to kind of tell when she was going to deliver. I mean she is realllyyyy fat, and I've noticed the cluster has gotten much bigger... I wish I could see her deliver, I just think it would be interesting to watch. Any suggestions?
She's going to pop soon.

unixpirate

Pitty Party
JTross said:
I was wondering if anyone knew, but I have a tank of the fancy tail guppies and I've noticed that the females (I have about 6 or 7 females) have these black clusters in their bellies... Does anyone know if that means they are pregnant. I know some fish have babies and others lay eggs but I wasn't sure which ones did what. If those black clusters in their bellies mean their pregnant I'm going to have ALOT of baby guppies...

I'll take some. My sharks are hungry

Attachments

• DSC001535.JPG
    DSC001535.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 127

JTross

JTross
SamSpade said:
My buddy with the hundred guppy tank DID have one thing, now that I recall - he had some floating plants at the top where the babies could hide from momma and their older siblings - and feed.

I'm going to have to make a trip to the pet shop. Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!

:howdy: :howdy: :howdy: :howdy: :howdy: :howdy:

unixpirate

Pitty Party
JTross said:
I'm going to have to make a trip to the pet shop. Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!

:howdy: :howdy: :howdy: :howdy: :howdy: :howdy:

I've got some hanging nets/baskets that you put your expecting mommies in you can have. They hang on the inside of the tank submerged in the water of course.