In honor of my being able to spell hors d'oeuvres...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
...I have been asked to bring some to a family party this weekend.

What should I make? I ate like a little hog this past weekend because you all are just creative and excellent cooks. Share some ideas and recipes! I will have access to an oven so I can make/take/bake if need be.

TIA :smoochy:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
Make that spicy shredded chicken dip that's so good. :drool: I remember talking about it with Nickel...I'll try to find the thread. It's a real crowd-pleaser! :jet:

"This tangy, creamy dip tastes just like buffalo chicken wings. It's best served hot with crackers and Celery sticks. Everyone loves the results!"
Original recipe yield: 5 cups.

Buffalo Chicken Dip
Prep Time:5 MinutesCook Time:40 MinutesReady In:45 MinutesServings:20

INGREDIENTS:
2 (10 ounce) cans chunk chicken, drained
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup Ranch dressing
3/4 cup pepper sauce, such as Franks® Red Hot®
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

1 bunch celery, cleaned and cut into 4 inch pieces
1 (8 ounce) box chicken-flavored crackers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Heat chicken and hot sauce in a skillet over medium heat, until heated through. Stir in cream cheese and ranch dressing. Cook, stirring until well blended and warm. Mix in half of the shredded cheese, and transfer the mixture to a slow cooker. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top, cover, and cook on Low setting until hot and bubbly. Serve with celery sticks and crackers.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I do a shrimp appetizer that's good, got it from Log Cabin restaurant when I worked there years ago (now Adams). Use med. to large shrimp. Devein them and slice but not in half. Fill slice with horseradish and wrap with a half piece of bacon and bake until bacon is done. I use a toothpick to hold them together. Serve with Thousand Island dressing.

Of course, my family loves the Hillshire Farms Lil Smokies wrapped in crescent rolls.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
...I have been asked to bring some to a family party this weekend.

What should I make? I ate like a little hog this past weekend because you all are just creative and excellent cooks. Share some ideas and recipes! I will have access to an oven so I can make/take/bake if need be.

TIA :smoochy:

Again. You need the scallop recipe from Clarke's Landing. :yay:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
My sister makes this and is really good too.

Taco Salad
Prep: 15 min, Cook: 15 min.

* 1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
* 1 packet taco seasoning mix
* 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 3 tomatoes, finely chopped
* 3/4 lb. shredded taco style cheese
* 1-1/2 cups Catalina or Thousand Island dressing
* 1/2 lb. tortilla chips, crushed

Sauté ground meat in a heavy nonstick skillet over medium high heat 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently until browned. Stir in taco seasoning and sauté another 2-3 minutes until meat is cooked throughout. Drain and discard excess drippings. Meanwhile, combine next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in cooked meat. Add salad dressing and mix thoroughly. Stir in crushed chips just before serving, adding more dressing, if desired.

greyhound

Chicken salad wontons

Fill wonton wraps with a teaspoon of chicken salad (make anyway you like)
Bring the 4 corners together and pinch.
fry in oil until golden brown.

Serve with duck sauce. I prefer the red sauce, but if you like the yellow it will do.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
K_Jo said:
Make that spicy shredded chicken dip that's so good. :drool: I remember talking about it with Nickel...I'll try to find the thread. It's a real crowd-pleaser! :jet:
:yeahthat: It was yummy. :yum:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
These are super easy and very tasty...

Parmesan Popovers:

3 eggs
3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon herbs de Provence
4 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
1 cups whole milk
3/4 cup grated Parmesan (about 5 ounces)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a blender, combine eggs, flour, salt, pepper, and herbs, milk, and cheese. Blend on medium speed.

Spray a mini-muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pour the batter into the muffin cups, filling each cup 3/4 full. Bake until puffed and golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.

Remove popovers from muffin tin and cool on a wire rack

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Vrai... You should make this again...

PRIME RIB WITH CABERNET JUS

2 750-ml bottles Cabernet Sauvignon
4 cups beef stock or canned broth
2 cups ruby Port
3 large garlic cloves, peeled
1 large shallot, peeled, halved
2 bay leaves
3 teaspoons dried thyme
1 6-pound boneless prime rib beef roast
4 large garlic cloves, pressed
Fresh parsley sprigs

Combine first 6 ingredients and 1 teaspoon thyme in large nonaluminum saucepan. Boil until reduced to 2 cups, about 1 hour. (Cabernet mixture can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cool, cover and refrigerate.)
Preheat oven to 450°F. Place beef, fat side up, in heavy 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Rub beef all over with pressed garlic and remaining 2 teaspoons thyme. Season beef generously with salt and pepper. Roast 1 hour. Tent beef with foil. Continue roasting until meat thermometer inserted into center registers 118°F for rare, about 35 minutes. Transfer to platter and let stand 20 minutes.
Pour off all fat from roasting pan. Place pan over medium-high heat. Add Cabernet mixture to pan and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour jus into sauceboat. Garnish platter with parsley, if desired. Carve beef and serve, passing jus separately.

Angel

~*~*~
cattitude said:
Of course, my family loves the Hillshire Farms Lil Smokies wrapped in crescent rolls.
:yeahthat: I love those things...

OR, you could take the little smokies in a crock pot and add barbecue sauce. That is yummy.

OR, here is my yummy Mexican Dip recipe, well not mine, but one of my favorites:
1 container of sour cream
1 container of cream cheese
1/2 a jar of salsa
1/2 a package of Mexican Shredded Cheese Mix
1/2 an Envelope of Taco Seasoning
Mix it all up and let it chill for a few hours. Serve with Tortilla Chips. It's my favorite take-to-a-party staple.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
K_Jo said:

It IS good..my daughter makes it. :drool:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
K_Jo's Chicken Dip Recipe:

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 (16 ounce) jar mayonnaise
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place chicken breast halves on a medium baking sheet.

Bake in the preheated oven 20 minutes, or until no longer pink. Remove from heat, cool and shred.

Place shredded chicken in a medium bowl, and mix in cream cheese, mayonnaise, Cheddar cheese, green chile peppers and jalapeno pepper. Transfer the chicken mixture to a medium baking dish.

Bake uncovered in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
And my all time favorite "hors d'oeuvres" is:

Mini Ham Puffs

1 pkg crescent roll dough
3 oz processed ham, chopped finely
1 sm onion, chopped finely
1/2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
1 egg
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tsp dijon mustard

Mix up everything except the crescent roll dough. Spread the dough out and slice it up into 24 squares. Place each square in a greased mini muffin tin pan and press to form a cup. Divide the filling among the cups, pinch dough together at the top. Bake 15 minutes at 350 until lightly browned.

They're delicious! I'm a fan of anything in mini muffin form. :lmao: