27'' Puppy drum

Bozznc

110 degrees and shivering
This baby was caught at the OBX on 8lb test, 1 ounce sinker, and a #1 hook with just a shred of shrimp.. do drum make it this far north? I'd love to tangle with a few more..

Attachments

• fluffy forum.JPG
    fluffy forum.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Bozznc said:
This baby was caught at the OBX on 8lb test, 1 ounce sinker, and a #1 hook with just a shred of shrimp.. do drum make it this far north? I'd love to tangle with a few more..

http://forums.somd.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19626
itsbob, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

greyhound

Bozznc said:

http://forums.somd.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19626

vBulletin Message

greyhound, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Log Out Home

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
They let you catch red and black drum around here - Black must be 16" minimum and red must be between 18"-27" one per day.

Bozznc

Ken King said:
They let you catch red and black drum around here - Black must be 16" minimum and red must be between 18"-27" one per day.

Okay, then the restrictions are the same as on Hatteras Island. Best place to catch em this time of year?

Ken King

PREMO Member
Bozznc said:
Okay, then the restrictions are the same as on Hatteras Island. Best place to catch em this time of year?
Heh, heh, the water. :lmao:

Seriously I don't know, try some of the fishing reports.

Bozznc

Ken King said:
Heh, heh, the water. :lmao:

Seriously I don't know, try some of the fishing reports.

Too easy, K/k.. too easy. I just wasn't sure how far up the bay and rivers they come

Ken King

PREMO Member
Bozznc said:
Too easy, K/k.. too easy. I just wasn't sure how far up the bay and rivers they come
Of course but I couldn't let it slip by, seriously the fishing reports will let you know where they are hitting. Searching http://www.somdnews.com for "drum" several articles appeared including one that says "The colors seem only to be important to the fishermen right now. Some bigger rockfish were hitting surface poppers inside the outflow of the Power Plant. A few nice red drum are cruising our waters too, but those catches have been relatively rare and sporadic."

Bozznc said:
We surprised ourselves and caught one just like that last year off the beach by Oregon Inlet. It pulled the rod holder right down and the pole was in the surf before my speedy little wifey caught up to it. As far as catching the Reds around the middle bay area, I've never hooked one and don't know if they are here. I think they like the surf and sand bars. Black drum are more common here and get huge.

BlackSheep

Bozznc said:
Which baby? :killingme

Bozznc

desertrat said:
We surprised ourselves and caught one just like that last year off the beach by Oregon Inlet. It pulled the rod holder right down and the pole was in the surf before my speedy little wifey caught up to it. As far as catching the Reds around the middle bay area, I've never hooked one and don't know if they are here. I think they like the surf and sand bars. Black drum are more common here and get huge.

I hear they're pretty common down by cape point, where we were. Unusual to catch one in the surf this early in the season though..

HunterJJD

Here is a pair we got a few years ago, puppy drum flood the bay and rivers here on hot years. Puppy drum are what we call little red drum. Watch down Point lookout as DNR hands out MANY tickets for people thinking they are hardhead and keeping 9" puppies.

They are a hard fighting head thumping good time to catch. Black Drum come up first week of june to spawn and then are gone, reds are here during the summer. They are very good table fair

Attachments

• 3MVC-727S.jpg
    3MVC-727S.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 121
HunterJJD said:
Here is a pair we got a few years ago, puppy drum flood the bay and rivers here on hot years. Puppy drum are what we call little red drum. Watch down Point lookout as DNR hands out MANY tickets for people thinking they are hardhead and keeping 9" puppies.

They are a hard fighting head thumping good time to catch. Black Drum come up first week of june to spawn and then are gone, reds are here during the summer. They are very good table fair
So how do you target the Red Drum here?

HunterJJD

desertrat said:
So how do you target the Red Drum here?
I do not target them but have caught them many ways.
In creeks beetle spinning for perch, On oyster bars bottom fishing while using spinner hooks. And have hooked them trolling with spoons and eels.

The big ones are a heck of a good time on light tackle, little ones are good table fair.

Ones in pic were 32 and 37 inches if I remember right

Jameo

What?!
HunterJJD said:
I do not target them but have caught them many ways.
In creeks beetle spinning for perch, On oyster bars bottom fishing while using spinner hooks. And have hooked them trolling with spoons and eels.

The big ones are a heck of a good time on light tackle, little ones are good table fair.

Ones in pic were 32 and 37 inches if I remember right

Brad's going tuna fishing this weekend if you wanna roll out with him? :neener: :killingme :roflmao: