Cat Colds?

josmom

We just got our first family cat about 3 weeks ago. She is great and we were very happy that we decided to get her, my only concern is that she sounds like she is conjested. If I would have to liken her sound to another sound, I would say that she sounds like a 6 month old with a stuffy nose. Do you know if Cats get colds? If they do, How do you treat them for it? Is there cat Tylenol? TIA.

Lilypad

Cat Flu (Feline Infectious Respiratory Disease) is still an
extremely common problem in cats. It rarely causes death in
healthy adult cats but it can be fatal in kittens, old cats and
cats which are already ill...
Congrats on your new cat-how old? I take it she is current on all her shots?

josmom

Lilypad said:
Cat Flu (Feline Infectious Respiratory Disease) is still an
extremely common problem in cats. It rarely causes death in
healthy adult cats but it can be fatal in kittens, old cats and
cats which are already ill...
Congrats on your new cat-how old? I take it she is current on all her shots?

THANK YOU!!! :huggy: both my husband and I were not allowed to have cats when we were kids, and since we are adults with our own house, this is one of the first and best things that we have done. We LOVE her! She is about a year old, gray tabby. And yes, she was spayed, declawed and up on her shots when we got her.

Lilypad

josmom said:
THANK YOU!!! :huggy: both my husband and I were not allowed to have cats when we were kids, and since we are adults with our own house, this is one of the first and best things that we have done. We LOVE her! She is about a year old, gray tabby. And yes, she was spayed, declawed and up on her shots when we got her.
Happy for you and hubby! That's 1 of the many beauties of being an adult, we get to do all the stuff we always wanted to do but couldn't!
She may be going through a "period of adjustment"-getting use to the new-ness of your home-new smells, etc..what did you name her?

CrashTest

A few years ago my little one had a bad cold. At first I didn’t know what it was and I actually thought she was dying. She had been laying in the closet for 3 straight days and was struggling just to breathe. I took her to the 24 hour ER up in Annapolis. The vet wasn’t worried and said she just had a cold. I actually made him take x-rays of her even though he didn’t think it was necessary. Her breathing was so restricted that I thought she was choking on something. Turned out the vet was right.

josmom

Yes, both of our parents have always been dog people, well we rescued a dog in Oct. of last year, and did good with him, so I told everyone, I was getting my cat finally. She was a good choice.

Poor thing has been named Princess Tater Tot. :lmao: (We have a 6 year old daughter, enough said!)

josmom

CrashTest said:
A few years ago my little one had a bad cold. At first I didn’t know what it was and I actually thought she was dying. She had been laying in the closet for 3 straight days and was struggling just to breathe. I took her to the 24 hour ER up in Annapolis. The vet wasn’t worried and said she just had a cold. I actually made him take x-rays of her even though he didn’t think it was necessary. Her breathing was so restricted that I thought she was choking on something. Turned out the vet was right.

To me she seems to act as a baby would with a head cold. She is still eating and drinking, although not as much, still is, which is a good thing. And she still moves around and greets us, and even plays some. So hopefully those are all good signs.

They say that cats are masters at hiding their illnesses, that is why it is so important to watch their habits and to note if anything changes; eating, drinking, playing, etc.

It sounds like it might be upper respitory. Mine has feline asthma, but when he is bad, it sounds like the "wheezy" toy off of Toy Story, he whistles when he breathes and has attacks, like an actual asthma attack.

Best of luck with the new kitty!!

josmom

teverheart2002 said:
They say that cats are masters at hiding their illnesses, that is why it is so important to watch their habits and to note if anything changes; eating, drinking, playing, etc.

It sounds like it might be upper respitory. Mine has feline asthma, but when he is bad, it sounds like the "wheezy" toy off of Toy Story, he whistles when he breathes and has attacks, like an actual asthma attack.

Best of luck with the new kitty!!

After getting this information I came home and fixed her some wet and dry food, (She normally eats dry food, but I was concerned that her throat might hurt so I picked up some wet food too) Well she chowed down on the dry food, and I got a good amount of water into her. She is still kinda playing, but acts very much like a child that does not feel good. I did notice that she was sneezing tonight, and when she did, she had discharge. But she does seem to be doing better tonight then last night. Last night, the outside of her nose was all gross, tonight, all dry and pretty just the way that it is suppposed to be, and she seems to be less congested sounding. So hopefully she is getting over what ever this is, but thank you all for your thoughts, now I know what I should be watching for.