Clearance Lights

D

dems4me

Anyone know if there is a particular law stating where exactly Clearance Lights on a trailor need to be located. Obviously, they need to be on the trailor. My question more particularly is where on the trailor sides? Is there a specification stating they have to be in the middle? Up past the tongue of the trailor? A certain amount of specified feet past the coupling?? :confused: Anyone know off hand? Usually trailors already have them on and I've never given it a second thought, now I need to know.

D

dems4me

aps45819 said:
yes
I don't think you're qualified to drive a trailer that requires "clearance lights"

Its for a boat trailor :smack: :

dems4me said:
Anyone know if there is a particular law stating where exactly Clearance Lights on a trailer need to be located. Obviously, they need to be on the trailer. My question more particularly is where on the trailer sides? Is there a specification stating they have to be in the middle? Up past the tongue of the trailer? A certain amount of specified feet past the coupling?? :confused: Anyone know off hand? Usually trailers already have them on and I've never given it a second thought, now I need to know.
dems4me said:
Its for a boat trailer :smack:
:fixed:, :fixed:, :fixed:, :fixed: :fixed:, & :fixed:

MMDad

Lem Putt
dems4me said:
Anyone know if there is a particular law stating where exactly Clearance Lights on a trailor need to be located. Obviously, they need to be on the trailor. My question more particularly is where on the trailor sides? Is there a specification stating they have to be in the middle? Up past the tongue of the trailor? A certain amount of specified feet past the coupling?? :confused: Anyone know off hand? Usually trailors already have them on and I've never given it a second thought, now I need to know.
It is cute to watch you and Aps go at it, but I thought I'd help anyway.

"(2) Trailers and semitrailers 80 inches or more in overall width shall have:

(i) On the front, two clearance lamps, one at each side;

(ii) On the rear, two clearance lamps, one at each side, and after June 1, 1971, three identification lamps meeting the specifications of subsection (c) of this section;

(iii) On each side, two side marker lamps, one at or near the front and one at or near the rear; and

(iv) On each side, two reflectors, one at or near the front and one at or near the rear."

Unless you have a huge boat, you probably are not 80 inches wide, so wouldn't need clearance lamps.

Last edited:
D

dems4me

MMDad said:
It is cute to watch you and Aps go at it, but I thought I'd help anyway.

(2) Trailers and semitrailers 80 inches or more in overall width shall have:

(i) On the front, two clearance lamps, one at each side;

(ii) On the rear, two clearance lamps, one at each side, and after June 1, 1971, three identification lamps meeting the specifications of subsection (c) of this section;

(iii) On each side, two side marker lamps, one at or near the front and one at or near the rear; and

(iv) On each side, two reflectors, one at or near the front and one at or near the rear.

Thanks!!! :flowers:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
4) Motor vehicles, trailers, semitrailers, and pole trailers 30 feet or more in overall length shall have on each side, one amber side marker lamp and one amber reflector, centrally located with respect to the length of the vehicle.

(5) Pole trailers shall have:

(i) On each side, one amber side marker lamp at or near the front of the load;

(ii) One amber reflector at or near the front of the load; and

(iii) On the rearmost support for the load, one combination marker lamp showing amber to the front and red to the rear and side, mounted to indicate maximum width of the pole trailer.

D

dems4me

MMDad said:
Unless you have a huge boat, you probably are not 80 inches wide, so wouldn't need clearance lamps.

80 inches is only about 6.5 feet. I failed inspection because I didn't have clearance lamps on the trailer. He was rude, mean and just basically trying to hurry up and get my crap out of the way of his customers at this guy's little gas station... they didn't want to see me to begin with and tried to discourage me by saying I'd have to wait a really long time for him to get around to inspecting the trailer... I show up (albeit driving one armed with cast on the other arm), prepared to wait a really long time, nowhere to park it, he immediately finds time, fails me for inspection in a blink of an eye (no paperwork at all) and I'm asked to leave.... Obviously I wont be going back there for re-inspection but wanted to make sure about the clearance lights. I tried to discuss it with him but he had no time for me and went back to his shop. He didn't measure anything and just basically waived his hand over a general length of the trailor while telling me I need clearance lights (all I got out of it was somewhere, down there on the trailer) :ohwell: :frown: I have temp tags for trailer and would like to get this fixed before they expire.

D

dems4me

aps45819 said:
4) Motor vehicles, trailers, semitrailers, and pole trailers 30 feet or more in overall length shall have on each side, one amber side marker lamp and one amber reflector, centrally located with respect to the length of the vehicle.

(5) Pole trailers shall have:

(i) On each side, one amber side marker lamp at or near the front of the load;

(ii) One amber reflector at or near the front of the load; and

(iii) On the rearmost support for the load, one combination marker lamp showing amber to the front and red to the rear and side, mounted to indicate maximum width of the pole trailer.

I'm carrying a boat not a pole :smack:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
dems4me said:
I'm carrying a boat not a pole :smack:
Look at the paper work the inspector gave you and it will tell you wich section of the MD code you failed. Look upthe code. Comply with the code.That might work better than us guessing as to what exactly you are trying to get inspected.

D

dems4me

aps45819 said:
Look at the paper work the inspector gave you and it will tell you wich section of the MD code you failed. Look upthe code. Comply with the code.That might work better than us guessing as to what exactly you are trying to get inspected.

Look at my post :lol: I said he gave me no paper work. INo nothing at all. He just ran out failed me as fast as he possibly could, waived his hands and said something about claerance lights and ran back to what he was doing. And couldn't be bothered and was irratated that I was impeding customers from easily navigating the gas station in and out and around the pumps. I had asked MVA when getting registration to give me an inspection form so I wouldn't waste a trip and can make sure everything complied before inspection. They said they didn't have them and where ever I go to get it inspected would have them. The guy at the gas station gave me nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
dems4me said:
Look up my post :lol: I said he gave me no paper work. No nothing at all. He just ran out failed me as fast as he possibly could and ran back to what he was doing.
Did you give him any money?

D

dems4me

Dutch6 said:
Did you give him any money?

No. And the guy never measured my boat to even see if I would need to have clearance lights by law if there is an 80 inch rule. :frown: